Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NBA Free Agency... and next season

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Glove and Malone to LA?

by Paul Jay, Sportsnet.ca

Approaching 40 and still don't have that NBA championship ring? Don't worry, just head for L.A. or San Antonio, where old loyalties don't seem to matter -- only winning does.

Karl Malone and Gary Payton are destined for the Hall of Fame. Malone is about three seasons away from breaking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career-scoring record and Payton has averaged 20 points-per-game as a point guard while making his reputation as one of the best defenders in the league. Both players took their teams to the NBA Finals in the '90s, where Michael Jordan was waiting to break their hearts.

And now both are peddling their wares for a ring. Malone has reportedly offered to accept a $1.5 million (US) contract from the Los Angeles Lakers (a 92 per cent pay cut) if the team can also sign Payton. That would give the Lakers four Hall-of-Famers (including Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant) and a chance to return to their role as The Arrogant Dynasty.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Glove shows Lakers some love..

Instead of cashing in with a team that could give him the bank, it looks like Payton will chase a ring with the Lakers.

Gary Payton has chosen to sign a free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, ESPN is reporting.

Aaron Goodwin, Payton's agent, told ESPN Tuesday that Payton will sign a contract with the Lakers despite their financial limitations. The Lakers, well over the NBA's $40-plus million salary cap, were limited to offering Payton a starting salary of $4.9 million for next season.

The report suggests Payton will sign a multi-year deal with the Lakers on July 16, the first day teams are permitted to formally sign free agents.

"He could have taken a lot more money to go somewhere else," said Goodwin, referring to efforts by the Portland Trail Blazers to acquired Payton in a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee. "But he's going to Los Angeles to follow his dream."

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why wouldn't he go for the ring the 130 odd million he has already made as a player should pay the bills.:rolleyes: That doesn't include endorsements over the years so sign for less and go for the championship. Honestly I am surprised more players do not do this in the later stages of there careers. Payton and Malone to the Lakers must force the Spurs to push even harder for Kidd and someone else.

Parkhead

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Nice Golve.

Originally posted by knvb
I was a big Laker fan before, but this... this is fan-fcuking-tastic. :knvb:

Then you will love this:

Lakers lure Malone to stacked squad

The Mailman's new route goes through Los Angeles.

LOS ANGELES - Free agent Karl Malone, the NBA's second-leading all-time scorer, committed Thursday to join the Los Angeles Lakers, giving them a lineup with four superstars.

Larry Miller, the owner of the Utah Jazz with whom Malone has played since 1985, said he had spoken with the forward on Thursday and Malone confirmed he intends to sign with the Lakers.

Malone joins Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and another newcomer, Gary Payton. Payton, a nine-time all-star, agreed earlier this week to sign with the Lakers.

Even though Malone and Payton have agreed to come to Los Angeles, the first day free agents can sign contracts is Wednesday.

Both Malone, a two-time league MVP, and Payton have not played on an NBA championship team. The Lakers won the title three straight years before losing to eventual champion San Antonio in the second round this year.

Malone, who turns 40 on July 24, made it to the NBA Finals twice, in 1997 and 1998. Both times, the Jazz lost to Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. The Chicago coach was Phil Jackson, now coach of the Lakers.

Malone averaged 20.6 points last season to lead Utah for the 17th consecutive year. His average of 7.8 rebounds was the team's highest for the 18th straight year.

Before joining the Lakers for next season, Malone has committed to play in his third Olympics.

His agent, Dwight Manley, said Malone also was considering going to San Antonio or Dallas, but when Payton decided to go to the Lakers, that alone would have made them the favourite for the league title next year. Malone, who is taking a big pay cut to come to the Lakers, said that his prime goal was to win a championship.

His 36,374 career points trail only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 38,387. The record is still within range, but sharing the offence with Bryant, O'Neal and Payton will cut into his 25.4 career scoring average.

He is the only player with 35,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, 4,000 assists and 2,000 steals. His 1,434 games played is fourth on the all-time list.

The league's MVP in 1997 and 1999, Malone averaged at least 25 points for 11 straight seasons (1987-98).

Malone, who made $19.3 million US last year, reportedly will get the veteran's minimum salary of $1.5 million to have a shot at an NBA title with the Lakers.

The 34-year-old Payton, dealt by Seattle to Milwaukee at last season's trading deadline, would be limited to earning $4.9 million with Los Angeles in the first year of a multiyear contract. He earned $12.6 million.

O'Neal will make $26.5 million this season and Bryant will get $13.5 million.

One of the league's best defensive guards, Payton has averaged 18.3 points and 7.4 assists since coming into the NBA with the SuperSonics in 1990.

With a lineup of four players who all will probably end up in the Hall of Fame, the Lakers will be one of the NBA's most imposing teams ever.

"It looks like they're putting together an all-star team over there," New Jersey Nets guard Tamar Slay said. "That's crazy, getting all those guys. In this league, everyone's competitive, but it looks like they've made a major step."

The 1984-85 Lakers featured Magic Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy and Bob McAdoo. Boston had Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Robert Parish the following season.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about Jason Kidd saying that the only way he would re-sign with New Jersey is if they can Byron Scott.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was kind of hoping they wouldn't sign him it's almost too good. How are they going to get all these guys enough touches to keep them happy enough to pretend they all like each other? The triangle rotates around two scoring players doesn’t it? I doubt Payton will be very happy passing the ball to Kobe so Malone can be unhappy just setting screens for him and Shaq.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed with KNVB. Scary.

Anyways, I was under the impression that Malone's list of things to do (in order of importance) was:

1) Take over from Kareem as the all-time NBA points leader.

2) Win a championship.

I thought this was the case simply because if he didn't win a title with Utah, anything else (like jumping ship to an already strong team) would be uncivilized. Uncivilized in the sense that the ring probably won't mean as much when you've got to join KB-8, Big Diesel and The Glove to get it. Where's the pride in that?

If Malone goes to the Lake Show, there is no way he is going to touch Kareem's record, unless he plays until he's 48 years old. And this isn't a similar situation to the Ray Borque scenario with winning his ring in Colorado, because a) at least there was a trade involved with Borque and b) the Avalanche didn't throw together a virtual all-star team through free agency to go along with it.

This move might sway a lot of other decisions, namely the Jason Kidd scenario. J-Kidd can't be liking his prospects of winning a title in New Jersey now, with the Western Conference being so vastly superior in terms of players and talent. shite, Kidd may need to go to San Antonio just to keep the balance of power in the Western Conference in check. And that's just messed up.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Competitor Price Unit Stake

L A Lakers 2.62

San Antonio 4.33

Sacramento 4.33

Dallas 9.00

New Jersey 15.00

Detroit 17.00

Philadelphia 21.00

Minnesota 21.00

Indiana 21.00

New Orleans 26.00

Portland 34.00

Phoenix 34.00

Orlando 34.00

Milwaukee 41.00

Houston 41.00

Boston 41.00

Toronto 51.00

New York 81.00

Anyone have a couple of thousand dollars to put on the Lakers? Easiest $2500, you'll ever make.

We really can't be surprised at this move. All the 'major' sports, except football are able to do it. How about those Yankees? How about those Av's/Red Wings/Rangers? How about those Lakers? It is ridiculous for everyone, unless you happen to be a supporter of the teams who have these players. Some years it doesn't work(Rangers every year apparently) so the team just adds more for the following year to make sure they win it again. I forgot to mention.....How about Real Madrid? Man. United? They're all theiving bastards. :(

Captain

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Larry Bird Returns

Larry Bird is returning to the NBA!

He will be joining the Indiana Pacers as President of Basketball Opertations.

I am sure someone will cut and paste the exact details...........

John

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jason Kidd

reported by tsn.ca
Kidd decides to stay with Nets

Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Jason Kidd agreed to a six-year, $99 million deal to stay with the New Jersey Nets on Friday, rejecting an offer from the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

Since arriving via trade two years ago, the all-star point guard transformed the Nets from an also-ran into a two-time conference champion.

``After great thought and consultation with the important people in my life, I have decided that I want to remain a New Jersey Net,'' Kidd said.

His decision came the same day that word emerged that centre Alonzo Mourning would join the Nets as a free agent. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in an e-mail that Mourning wouldn't sign with Dallas and instead had chosen New Jersey.

A Nets spokesman would not confirm the deal, and a call to Mourning's agent, Jeffrey Wechsler, was not immediately returned.

Mourning - out of the NBA last season because of a kidney ailment - can't officially sign with the Nets until Wednesday, nor can Kidd.

Kidd and his family visited San Antonio this week, and his agent said Kidd would make a decision by the start of next week.

But the player made his choice known sooner - and just 24 hours after there were reports he wanted the Nets to get rid of coach Byron Scott. On Thursday, Nets president and general manager Rod Thorn denied published reports Kidd demanded Scott be fired.

``I have enjoyed being here the past two years, I have worked hard with my teammates and believe in our future,'' Kidd said Friday. ``I've been fortunate to have had significant interest from other great organizations, but ultimately I want to finish what we started here and bring a championship to the Nets.''

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford confirmed Kidd pulled out of talks with his team.

``While it is disappointing news for us, we are happy for Jason and his family and wish them continued success,'' Buford said.

Kidd averaged team highs of 18.7 points and 8.9 assists, plus 6.3 rebounds, and made his sixth all-star game appearance this season. He also averaged 20.1 points, 8.2 assists and 7.7 rebounds in the post-season, helping New Jersey reach the NBA final.

The Nets lost to the Spurs in six games. In 2001-02, the Nets were swept in the championship series by the Los Angeles Lakers.

New Jersey had won just one playoff series in its NBA history until Kidd arrived in a trade that sent Stephon Marbury to the Phoenix Suns.

The Nets were 26-56 the year before Kidd came, and they have gone 101-63 with him running the team.

Kidd was wined and dined in San Antonio. He ate with coach Gregg Popovich, toured the Spurs' practice facility and went for a drive with NBA MVP Tim Duncan.

The Spurs offered Kidd the most they could, about $90-to-$92 million.

Our goal in San Antonio is simple. We want to win championships and win with players our fans are proud of - both on and off the court,'' Buford said. ``We will do everything in our power to put the Spurs in a position to make a run for another championship ring.''

Is this the same Jason Kidd who recently beat the piss out of his wife? Yup i would be really proud of him off the court too!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you mean recently as in two years ago, then yeah, Jason Kidd beat his wife recently.

Way to keep up.

You should dedicate your next post to the late breaking story that the Spurs won the NBA title.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You should dedicate your next post to the late breaking story that the Spurs won the NBA title.

Seriously? I thought the Bird Man led the Celtics to another championship this past year. Fcuk I'm way behind.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LA Lakers...

Heard a report on US TV that Lakers may sign Rodman as well. Can anyone confirm this? Why you would need him at this point is beyond me. The Glove and the Mailman?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some massive deals went down yesterday/today:

In a four-team blockbuster, this is what happened:

-Minnesota gets Latrell Sprewell
-New York gets Keith Van Horn
-Philly gets Glenn Robinson and Marc Jackson
-Atlanta gets Terell Brandon and Randy Holcomb.

The quick synopsis of this trade. Minnesota gets an athletic shooting guard/small forward who can match up against some of the West's best, ie: Kobe, Finley, Marion, etc.
New York, uhh, I guess New York finally gets a small forward with some size, who can line up at PF, and can compliment McDyess and put points on the board. For everything negative about Van Horn, he is a consistent scorer.
Philly gets a good second scorer for Iverson to play with, who is a tough matchup and gives you 20ppg. Jackson may be a bigger factor in the East than West, as big men are at a premium.
Atlanta gets cap space with Brandon, who's 11mil contract comes off the books in February, as his knee is gimped and he will retire. Atlanta didn't like Robinson much after trading for him, and they seem to be high on their draft pick this year, Boris Diaw.

Now, the other trade involves San Antonio, Indiana and Sacramento. San Antonio doesn't lose any players, just cash, as they have cap space while other teams don't. So Brad Miller goes from Indy to Sacramento, Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer go to San Antonio, and Scott Pollard goes to Indy.

Once this deal is finalized I can actually figure out how the Spurs get to grab two pretty good perimeter players while losing nothing. Man, the West is totally stacked this year.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Massive Trade:

To Dallas: Antawn Jamison, Danny Fortson, Chris Mills and Jiri Welsch.

To Golden State: Nick Van Exel, Evan Eschmeyer, Popeye Jones and Avery Johnson.

You knew Cuban wasn't going to sit idly by while the rest of his Western GM counterparts were out playing Let's Make A Deal. Even though Jamison isn't exactly what Dallas was looking for in the frontcourt (ie: a big body, a rebounder, a crasher), he can score in the paint and is 6'9. The Mavs also get younger as Quick was pushing 32 going into this season. If Danny Fortson can rejuvinate his career and become a fierce rebounder again, this trade will make the Mavs an incredibly tough team to beat. Their lineup right now looks like Nash, Finley, Jamison, Nowitzki and LaFrentz. Soft, but scary.

Golden State has now lost over 40ppg from last season with the departures of Arenas and Jamison. Van Ex will probably flourish in the starting role, but he's surrounded by young players who don't have a lot of NBA experience. I'm guessing Golden State management figures guys like Dunleavy, Richardson and Murphy really are the future of the organization, and that a veteran PG like Van Ex will guide all that raw talent.

I always admire how Cuban is always on the look out for possible deals to improve his team. It doesn't seem all that long ago that he traded for Juwan Howard, when nobody was touching him with a 10-foot pole. That deal started off a chain reaction of moves which brings us to the Jamison deal of today.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As you say the Mavs will continue to be soft but you can't resist picking up Jamieson. After all he is a UNC product:D ;) I like the trade from the Mavs point of view. They will continue to be a weak defensive team but with Jamieson they have added another scorer. He will pose more matchup problems for other teams.

As far as the Warriors are concerned I really don't understand this trade. They can not under any circumstances think that Nic the quick can lead their team. He can can score with anyone in the league but to lead a bunch of young guys is just not going to happen. I feel another trade coming along soon for the Warriors. Another contender could definetly use Van Exel as a sixth man to bring scoring off the bench. I see him moving along to another team in the near future.

This year it will be the WILD WEST no doubt about it.

ParkheadactuallylookingforwardtoaNBAseasontostartinsometime

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts