Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NBA 2002/2003 Season

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: I love this game!

Originally posted by Yoda
Coach Sydney Lowe of the Memphis Grizzlies has resigned:

THE 69-YEAR-OLD Hubie Brown takes over the only winless team in the league.

Hubie? God love him. "Nice...nice" Is he still with TNT?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hubie Brown is a great guy. He's won NBA Titles. Been named NBA coach of the year. Been inducted to the NBA Hall of Fame (okay, so it was as a broadcaster).

But the guy is 69-years old. The last time he coached an NBA team, Chuck Person won the Rookie of the Year award. He's been in the booth with TNT, and doing an excellent job calling games. So why did West go to this guy?

Because apparently he's gonna whip the Grizz around. From what I've read and seen, Lowe lost the team somewhere after the first three losses, to a coup which was apparently spearheaded by Jason Williams.

Now JThrill is going to be coached by a guy who seriously thinks that 98% of all NBA players are dogs. He's known for brow-beating players and proud of his take-no-shite, old-school style coaching. It might be what a young Grizz team needs.....or it could completely blow up. Regardless, West is in a unique situation because things really can't get any worse than they already are.

I can't believe he didn't go after Van Gundy or Dunleavy. After the job Van Gundy did with a pretty average Knicks team, I figured he'd be on everybody's short list.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what the hell....

time for a sporadic Chump and Champ of the Night.

Champ of the Night : Jerome Williams, Toronto Raptors

Let's get one thing straight. I hate JYD. I hate his game, his Sprite commercials, his incessant barking, and his teeth. So he'd have to do something special to earn COTN honors. Putting up a career high 30-points to get the Raps a crucial win over an Eastern Conference rival, with Vince Carter and Antonio Davis out of the lineup, does the trick. Chipped in with eight boards and four assists. Woof Woof. Pretty nice to nullify T-Mac's 38-point performance in the process, denying the former Raptor a win in his own house.

Chump of the Night : Allan Houston, NY Knicks.

I think every team should make it a personal goal not to lose to the Utah Geriatric Ward this season. But the Knicks, in all their glory, were on the wrong end of a 21-point pasting last night, at home, to the Jazz. Ouch. Leading the way for the Knickerbockers was Allan Houston, who went 4-15 from the field, with one rebound and two assists in 33 minutes of "work". The Knicks are bad, bad, bad.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sonic ride

Just a thought - if GP "the Gloooove" contiues to lead his team to the promise land, will Wally Walker buck-up and make a deal to make them competitive in the post season?

Should the NYK start over? Get rid of all the over priced- non talented players?

Sorry Yoda but are the Mavs too soft to go all the way?

and finally... how bad do the Lakers look without Shaq-daddy?
:cool:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sonic ride

Originally posted by bertrum

Sorry Yoda but are the Mavs too soft to go all the way?

Doesn't matter if you're soft when you're standing at the 3pt line.
:D

Downtown baby, downtown.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mavs are 8-0 and doing it without Van Ex and LaFrentz. Nothing soft about that.

The Knicks made a good move to bring in Dice, who would have been the best power forward in the East. With one broken kneecap, the Knicks go from playoff contender to pretender. You can't rebuild in NY, the fans and MSG won't allow for it.

Forget about the Sonics and Wally "Tightfist" Walker. You're more likely to see them trade Payton away for youth and draft picks before they bring someone in to make them a better team. They'd need to bring in someone MAJOR (ie: a healthy Alonzo, a younger Dikembe, or a cheaper and more athletic Antonio Davis) to even make a dent in the West. Just too competitive. And remember how badly the Rashard Lewis negotiations went this summer.....he's a guy who will basically be the cornerstone of the franchise for years to come. Why would Walker even balk at signing him in the first place? Because he's an idiot.

As for the Lakers - Soumalia Samake got suspended for steriod use. You figure if he's actually using performance enhancing drugs, they might actually, oh I don't know, enhance his performance an iota or two. It's Kobe and four YMCA rejects out there at times.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
basketball jones

Champ of the Night : (tie)Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks & Desmond Mason, Sonics.

Big nights for two young budding stars. Nowitzki goes for 32 points, nine boards and seven assists - on the road - as Dallas extends their record to 9-0 with a win over the Celtics. Mason goes for 20 points, 17 boards and two sick, sick highlight reel dunks (watch The Score tonight, please) in a big win for the Sonics, 111-97 over the Kings. While Dirk's numbers probably get him the nod, you can't overlook how well Mase played against the deepest team in the NBA. And 17 boards from a shooting guard.....dang.

Chump of the Night : Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies

Nobody said it would be easy trying to D up Kevin Garnett. But Gasol did sweet fcuk all tonight in a 99-95 loss to the T-Wolves. 2-11 shooting for four points, and he didn't get to the line once in 33 minutes of action. Didn't do much on the defensive end either, as KG went for a game-high 28 points. Ugly night for the big Spaniard.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Desmond Mason was unbelievable tonight. Some monster dunks and 17 rebs from a 2 guard quite impressive. However the blippin sonics cost me my bet!!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mav's 11-0

Dallas 98 Lakers 72

Dallas is the 10th team to start a season 11-0 and off to the best start since the Chicago Bulls opened the 1996-97 campaign with 12 consecutive victories

Nice to see they are being compared to the 96-97 Bulls.
Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc, Kerr, and Rodman. And who could forget the keys to their championship, Jud Buecheler and Bill Wennington.
:D

Poor Lakers, now 3 and 8. Looks like Kobe can't carry the team by himself after all.
:rolleyes:

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How good is ShaQ!! I think it must be pretty clear to everyone now that even though the guy can't shoot to save his life he is the MVP. Hands down!!

Pretty sad that the mvp or in this case the most dominant player in the league can't play basketball, he just can't be stopped, physically!!

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Charles underestimating the Great Wall?

Originally posted by The Power
Sensei any comment on the Great Wall tonight. They lost, but 30 points and 16 boards ain't bad.

As a result Charles Barkley had to kiss a donkey on TNT provided by Kenny Smith. That guy is such a "geek", Barkley however was a good sport a kissed the ass on the anus. Career numbers for Sir Charles 20 points 12 rebounds 1 flagrent and 1 ass kiss per game.:D

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The great wall is still a wanker!! Great numbers but look who they are playing the Mavs!! Yeah, their record is good but they don't play a lick of defense. Half their guys are already running the fastbreak when yao ming is rebounding the ball. The mavs simply outscore teams they don't stop them. Which is why they will have another early exit from the playoffs. So when Ming puts those numbers up against a shaq or Dikembe or any decent center then I will be impressed!!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When you look at Ming's numbers from last night, it is important to point out that 21 of his points and over half of his boards all came in the first half.

It is fairly obvious now that this guy can play ball. He's not just a 7'6 body out there. He's coordinated, can handle the rock, is a pretty adept passer and has great touch around the hoop. He was matched up with the only guy in the NBA who can see eye-to-eye with him (Bradley) and he torched him in the first half.

The fitness/fatigue factor played a part in the second-half letdown, as did Nellie and another one of his crazy scheming defenses (he played Najera, who is a foot smaller than Yao, straight up on him for long stretches at a time, as well as a collapsing zone). The Mavs took advantage of an off night by Stevie Franchise and let him chuck from the outside, by simply piling down on Yao. And it worked. 12-0.

Parkhead, you're probably going to have to wait for a while to see ANY center, let alone Yao Ming, put up 30 points and 16 boards on Shaq and/or Dikembe. Outside of Tim Duncan and possibly Jermaine O'Neal, nobody would come close.

As for the Mavs not playing a lick of defense....they're currently the 5th best defensive team in the NBA right now, averaging 87.8 PAPG. They're also the #1 offensive team averaging 103 PPG. And they've done that for 12 straight games now. They've been known as a soft team in the past, but they're doing pretty much everything in their power to change that image.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei I agree with most of what you said but I don't see this guy turning into an allstar or anything close. He will be better than Bradley but that is not saying much!! I don't care if no one else can see eye to eye with him, when it's all said and done he will be the same Bradley, Bol, Muresan etc. The other players in this league will put him in his place!!

As far as your Mavs when playoff time comes I would be shocked if they beat the Lakers,Kings, or Spurs. They might be good but come on do you really think they can beat any of these teams when these teams are playing playoff basketball. I love the way the Mavs and Kings play 80's stlyle up and down the court, but atleast the Kings can stop people. The mavs might be ranked #5 in defense right now but I don't think any team in this league fears playing them for their defense!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with both of you, kind of.....

Parkhead,

I watched some of the highlights tonight and Ming does not ming that much. He has a decent first step and he certainly moves better than most guys that size. He will be thrown around for awhile but with a little improvement in strength and understanding of the NBA game, I think he could have a decent career. I don't think, even though it has only been a few games, that he is going to be as bad as his first game indicated. He will certainly be better than George Muresan, Manute Bol, Shaun Bradley, and the mullet man, Dwayne Schintzus(sp?). Also, he is a great dunker of the ball.......:rolleyes: The fcuker doesn't even have to jump to dunk.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you should wait for more than 15 NBA games before writing off the Great Wall. That's it. He went for 18 and 8 tonite as well, which counts for yet another pretty good performance.

They aren't my Mavs, either. I like Dallas, I think they're a great team...but I'm not a bloody cheerleader or anything like that. Numbers don't lie. I don't know why they couldn't be a good defensive team with the players they have. Nowitzki is already a good rebounder, who needs to work on defensive fundamentals. Looks like he's been doing it. The guy is freaky athletic for a 7'1 honkey. Finley is a great on-the-ball defender and has amazing athleticism. Nash is quietly becoming one of the best PGs in terms of steals. He's never going to be a Jason Kidd or Gary Payton, but few are. You listen to NBA analysts talk about the top three PGs in the league outside of JKidd and the Glove - Nash is right there with Steve Francis and Baron Davis. Bradley obviously gives you an inside presence, and once LaFrentz gets healthy again, they've got probably the best shot-blocking combo in the NBA. Najera is an excellent energy guy who is known for his defensive awareness.

They're in the midst of the third best start in NBA history. And doing it with much improved defense. While teams might not be afraid of their defense just yet, they can't ignore the renewed determination to play some D in Dallas.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Points taken Sensei,

I agree that the Mavs are a good team but we will find out in the playoffs where if everyone is healthy I will take any of the other three teams over them.

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shaq is back

All that need's to be said is SHAQ is the best and most dominant player in the NBA......All you wanks who disagree just have a look at tonights result....Oh, the LAKERS finally won due to SHAQ!!!

Kobe is good but not the best. End of discussion.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SHAQ is the best

No. He is the most dominant. To be the best, a player must do everything well. He does a few things well. He can dunk and he can use his big fat ass and his girth to post up weaker opponents. End of story. By the way, they were only playing Chicago, who were coming off another lumping a day earlier.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts