Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nations League

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada up to 7th in CONCACAF only five points out of the HEX behind El Salvador. Curacao and Panama hot on our heels.

Games against the US are going to be huge in October and November. Herdman really needs to find competitive but WINNABLE friendlies in those windows and March to mitigate potential losses to the US. Thinking maybe teams like China, Mali, Scotland, Hungary or Egypt, perhaps maybe even a team like Australia at the minute? Would be interesting to see if we can be competitive against those types of teams who are all ranked slightly ahead of us.
Have they named the venues yet? I thought I heard Seattle was a potential landing spot for the USA home fixture?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have they named the venues yet? I thought I heard Seattle was a potential landing spot for the USA home fixture?

Home game is in Toronto, like against Cuba. Away game has not been announced but I heard from a source that they are expecting it to be in Orlando.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Orlando. Hot as balls. Hopefully kinda nice in March TBH. We need one in Newfoundland. BRING THE SLEET! Ugly it up !

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

No Larin or Atiba... huge game coming up will we finally get over the hump?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too bad on Atiba. I had heard that there was a chance he would play. He has not formally retired from the National Team, but I know he is coming off an injury so I guess that is still keeping him out. Hopefully we get to see him in the National Team again, especially if we qualify for the Hex.

I would drop Larin too. He's been given chance after chance and under performed. Plus his attitude sucks and you don't need that kind of energy around the team. Realistically he would be unlikely to see the field, so what's the point in having him sulking around?

USA away confirmed for Orlando in November. Hearing rumours that Canada are looking to arrange a friendly with Bolivia to try and help them climb the world rankings in March. No confirmation on where that game might take place if it could be arranged. We are 75 in the world and they are 72 (last in CONMEBOL). If the rankings change ahead of the fixtures being confirmed, perhaps Canada would look elsewhere for a game - I am sure they will have an actuary calculating the best opponent to play based on FIFA formulas!

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes it appeared they wanted to play a team that was just ahead of us in the rankings but could be beat to help bolster the rankings. Don't want to play a higher ranked team and lose so a team close enough in rankings and willing to play. I wonder if a March game would be in Vancouver given the weather conditions elsewhere in Canada at that time though BMO field could be ready to go by then. I can't recall when MLS season starts.

Larin does sulk around and I agree he would never have seen the pitch anyways.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like Southgate has chosen Tomori, another Calgary born player playing for the Three Lions...

Can't say I blame him too much.
Apparently Herdman reached out to him before the Gold Cup and got a fairly tepid response. Definitely can't blame the kid for picking England. Too bad though given the state of our defense at the minute.

If we make the World Cup maybe next time we are in this type of situation Canada won't be everyone's second choice...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did not know he was Canadian, TBH never heard of him :)

Played a few games for Canada's U20s back in 2016 including a win over England.

England poached him within a few months to play for their U19s and U20s. He won a World Cup with them, so it is tough to fault the kid entirely. Less DeGuzman more Hargreaves with this one I think...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did not know he was Canadian, TBH never heard of him :)

Same.

Back in my younger years I'd brand this man a traitor, and I still think Hargreaves was a traitor. Different situation, though. If anything, Hargreaves owes the professional development side of his career to Germany, and the amateur side to Canada (I think he went over at 17).

From Wiki: "As a youngster in North America, Hargreaves grew up mostly watching and playing sports like basketball, ice hockey and American football. His sporting heroes were basketball legend Michael Jordan and American football player Deion Sanders. He did not begin to play football seriously until the age of 15."

Basically, till he went overseas he was as Canadian as any Canadian kid who could play sports could be. He owes a lot to the Calgary Foothills, and to Canada for at least his amateur development. If he had gotten German citizenship and pledged to them, maybe I'd have at least accepted it. Happens to be his father played professionally (here and overseas) and had ties to our game, and he took advantage. Good on him, but he never stepped foot in England -I don't think- till he made his English debut. Hearing him on the talk show he works at where he banters with Owen, and hearing that fake accent...fcuk him.

Tomori is a bit of a different story, at least he can say he owes the professional development side of his career to England. I can wrap my head around this.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tomori moved to England before he was 1. He's English. The only reason this is even talked about is because he played for Canada u20.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There you go. Makes perfect sense.

Besides, I've had to soften a lot on my traitor stance. FFS, half our squad never saw Canada before playing here, and we need those guys.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Altidore for the US as he got hurt with Toronto on the weekend. Also missing central defender Walker Zimmerman. Zimmerman is probably the third choice centreback for the USMNT but Altidore might still be their first choice striker when healthy. They do have other weapons up front (Zardes and Seargent mostly of laste) but I don't think hurts our chance to have Altidore miss out...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Altidore for the US as he got hurt with Toronto on the weekend. Also missing central defender Walker Zimmerman. Zimmerman is probably the third choice centreback for the USMNT but Altidore might still be their first choice striker when healthy. They do have other weapons up front (Zardes and Seargent mostly of laste) but I don't think hurts our chance to have Altidore miss out...

I watched that LAFC game where Zimmerman got injured...it was brutal. He went up for a header and got hit in the head by Kei Kamara. Zimmerman was knocked out in the air and then landed face first in to the ground.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts