Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nations League

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The games against the US are going to be huge. We need a win and a tie at least I am thinking for any hope of making it to the hex. The yanks will already be in and will hopefully not be interested.

On a side note Panama lost to Bermuda which pushed them below is in the Hex rankings.
Awesome... by HEX rankings, you mean FIFA rankings as that was the big change this Summer that fcuked us over a bit... to make the HEX we need to be top 6 FIFA rankings NOT region ranking :(

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Awesome... by HEX rankings, you mean FIFA rankings as that was the big change this Summer that fcuked us over a bit... to make the HEX we need to be top 6 FIFA rankings NOT region ranking :(

Albeit I am not a mathematician and do not profess to be one, but based on my calculations using the formula put out by FIFA, assuming we can win tonight, we only stand to gain 15 points on Panama which still leaves us behind them in the FIFA rankings, though only by 4 points. I could be totally incorrect though as the FIFA formula is far from straight forward so I could have easily made a calculation error. Though another way I figured it we would only be gaining 9 points on them, instead of 15, which doesn't help. We will find out for certain when the FIFA Rankings come out on Sept. 19.

No doubt the Panama loss for us is still big, given they have a pair of games against Mexico to come while we play the US. If we can better their results we will surely reel them in. The real issue though is, Honduras beat Puerto Rico in a friendly so their ranking is unlikely to go down and if they get anything out of their friendly tonight against Chile then they could even move farther up on us ahead of their Nations League matches against Martinique and Trinidad. Meanwhile El Salvador is in Nations League B and playing minnows Montserrat, Dominican Republic and St. Lucia which, while unlikely to greatly improve their FIFA ranking, barring some shock losses they are probably going to be tough to catch as well.

We need to catch at least two out of those three by June if we want to move into the Hex. Results against the US would be huge, but it will be interesting to see if Herdman can organize some friendlies over the next three windows to give us a chance to move up as well. Unfortunately, this new qualifying format has put even more emphasis on our loss to Haiti as, had we hung on, quarterfinals of a Confederation Tournament have a factor of 40 compared to Nations League Groups Stage matches which have a factor of 15.

Gotta win tonight though, hopefully another good offensive performance from the young guns!

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i watched the game on saturday on VIP box its a streaming site. You have to click off a bunch off pop ups but the stream was perfect. Works:gurps::cool: for the UFC as well....

don't shoot the messenger but it usually works...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

should make things even easier eh?

5 Changes for Canada with Hoilett back to England for family reasons (Teibert and Crepeau also back to the Whitecaps due to "knocks" but they didn't see the field in the first game anyway).

Larin gets another chance with David presumably moving to the wing. Apparently he's playing well domestically, but he sure as hell could due with a good performance for Canada. Johnson in MF instead of Piete which I hope we see more of and Vitoria from the start at CB instead of Cornelius as we search for any kind of defenders. Nice to see Adekube back though.

Also a first cap for someone named David Wotherspoon in place of Osorio in midfield. The guy is older (1990 born) and was in the the Scotland youth ranks, but his mom is Canadian. Apparently Herdman brought him in back when he first took over for that initial friendly with New Zealand but he didn't see the field; hasn't been involved since. Reports are that he had never been to Canada before this set of fixtures. Not sure what he brings to the group but I guess we shall see and welcome to be Canadian.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever I saw the calucation over on the Canada Soccer forum:

Current Rankings as Per a Big Soccer thread:

MEX 1608 (+4)
USA 1544 (-4)
CRC 1442 (-3)
JAM 1431 (+6)
HON 1352 (+2)
SLV 1347 (+5)
--
CUR 1321 (+12) [+2]
CAN 1317 (+5)
PAN 1316 (-15) [-2]
HAI 1276 (-12)
TRI 1226
ATG 1130 (-6)

Another win against Cuba tomorrow is worth 5 points for us.

A Haiti win drops Curacao 13 points and gains Haiti 13 points.

A Curacao win gives Curacao another 11 points and drops Haiti 11 points.

El Salvador should gain another few points beating Dom. Rep and Honduras should lose a few after losing a friendly to Chile tomorrow.

Bottom line, after this window, we will still be 30 points out of a Hex spot.

As well it stated:

"FIFA Rankings currently has the wrong coefficients. It's 25 and not 15"

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
El Salvador losing currently to DR if that holds they drop another bunch of points (-17 I think). Hopefully the DR holds on....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
El Salvador losing currently to DR if that holds they drop another bunch of points (-17 I think). Hopefully the DR holds on....
Solid update. Ya that coefficient would change things and make Panama's loss much more important. It would be huge if DR can hang on to win to bring El Salvador down further. Curacao and Haiti right behind us and playing each other doesn't leave much breathing room, especially with the US games looming.

Still long odds, but again, if we can organize some clutch friendlies that are winnable, yet against teams ranked high enough to earn us some points we might be able to do it.

Watching the Curacao/Haiti (currently tied which is likely the best result for Canada, though Haiti just had a guy sent off at the start of the second half) and the El Salvador/Dominican games on the link you provided, decent quality. Unfortunately the Canada link doesn't work, but maybe that will change after the match starts? Looks like they might have shut it down though :mad:

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Curacao keeper died the other day I think I read somewhere

Yes, he was the backup keeper. He died in his sleep at the team hotel the day before the last match. Apparently a heart attack... which is a bit strange because I think he was in his early 30s.

Their starter was lights out at Gold Cup and earned himself a transfer to MLS (now plays for Columbus Crew)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haiti/Curacao finishes 1-1 and DR holds on to beat El Salvador 1-0 with some solid "CONCACAF-ing" at the end of that one.

Great results if Canada can beat Cuba, but Cuba have a new shape and are frustrating Canada at the moment. Very scrappy with the Cubans hacking away seemingly every chance they get. These are the games that we need to learn how to make sure we win. 45 minutes to prove that we have.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doneil with a 2nd yellow for dissent.. misses the USA match next month. Idiot.
Idiot yes, but my goodness what is the referee doing when it comes to game management? Sending off a player with a second yellow for waiving his arms in disagreement with your call? If it is a repeat offense and you have warned him, ok. But out of the blue in a tepid game where the Canadians have being getting hacked all night? Come on. I'm going to give the referee the benefit of the doubt and say he forgot Henry was on a yellow when he took the second one out. Still poor game management, but...

Anyway another ugly CONCACAF away game for Canada against a team we should be comfortable against, but it's job done. Looking forward to the US game.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada up to 7th in CONCACAF only five points out of the HEX behind El Salvador. Curacao and Panama hot on our heels.

Games against the US are going to be huge in October and November. Herdman really needs to find competitive but WINNABLE friendlies in those windows and March to mitigate potential losses to the US. Thinking maybe teams like China, Mali, Scotland, Hungary or Egypt, perhaps maybe even a team like Australia at the minute? Would be interesting to see if we can be competitive against those types of teams who are all ranked slightly ahead of us.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts