Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nations League

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great signing and good to see players who were given a opportunity by Canada to prosper show commitment to the country.

If Davies at his skill level can committ to Canada (He could have played for Ghana as he was born in the refugee camp there) then there is no excuse for anyone else.

The depth on this team just got deeper and can't help to think good things are coming.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am betting he is brought back for these games once things ramp up I can't seem him starting before Doneil Henry, Steven Vittoria or Dejan Jackovic...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Despite these games being against relative minnows, it would appear that goal difference will likely be paramount in determining whether Canada makes Group A when the real CONCACAF Nations League starts in fall 2019 and if they are going to make the Gold Cup.

CONCACAF's website is very poorly set-up IMO and provides limited details or really useful information other than scores and some highlights.

I found the Wikipedia page much more useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_CONCACAF_Nations_League

With it being a seeded but not grouped/balanced schedule, goal difference looks like it will be crucial. Some teams that have drawn the even smaller minnows of the region will benefit from the bump in GD. Case in point is Canada's next opponent in November, St. Kitts and Nevis. Already with two wins and a +11 GD if they can get anything off Canada they are looking very good going into their final group game against Suriname.

Curacao who currently sits atop the table are not a nation that you would think of as a perennial CONCACAF contender when it comes to the teams outside the hex, but sure enough they have two wins and a comfortable GD of +15 with winnable matches remaining against Guadeloupe and Antigua. Dominican Republic and Cuba play each other in November with the winner there looking very comfortable going into their final game.

So you can see that any slip up by the Canadians really puts them behind the 8-ball so to speak. Even though it does not necessarily make for great entertainment, it actually appears rather important that we beat Dominca tomorrow by as many goals as possible. Apologies if I sound like a pessimist, but having been let down by this team on so many previous occasions, I am already uneasy about that St. Kitts fixture. Yes it is a team that we have beaten comfortably during previous WC qualifying campaigns, but St. Kitts are arguably in form and will be at home and it would just be so like Canada to somehow fumble this. Obviously I expect our recent quality to show through, but just one slip might even leave us outside the Gold Cup next summer with the Caribbean nations all benefiting from the chance to beat up on one another.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Curacao if I recall correctly are made up of mainly dutch born and trained players who have lineage back to the Country. Although a small country they have access to some quality players from Europe.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great set up by Davies and finish by David! Cavallini just missed a sitter with the head!
I've never seen RT play this high up the pitch that I thought it was someone else.lol
It'll be interesting to see how he does on the attack, certainly don't need him sitting back with Atiba there.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
5-0 final.

A few more goals would have been nice but certainly a good start after two games. Likely to be 10 or 11 teams on six points after play in this round finishes tonight (top 10 make Gold Cup with top 6 making the "A" group for next year's Nations League).

Hopefully this form can continue in St. Kitts next month!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Massive performance from Atiba he looked different class on that goal (as he arguably should...).

He's said that he will retire after the Gold Cup next summer and that header all but assures Canada will be in the tournament. A single point at home against French Guiana in March will make it official while a win will book our place in the CONCACAF "A League" starting next fall which will give the squad more games against top sides in the region and a chance to keep development on track ahead of 2022 qualifying.

To be fair Canada will most likely have already qualified for the Gold Cup by the time that French Guiana game kicks off as they will be the last match of the round to be played. It would take just about every result and a massive swing in GD to go against them in order to see them outside the top 10.

Tip of the cap to this team for navigating a tricky fixture away from home in less than ideal conditions. Despite them being ranked 50 or so places below us, we had never scored away to St. Kitts before tonight and it likely would have been easy enough to play for 0-0 (like our last visit back in 2011) and try to take care of business back home in March. A character building result for the boys and hopefully a springboard for future away days in CONCACAF!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts