Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

National Rankings

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, have they updated that link since? Or are there any links with new rankings? How would other TTP'ers rank the best from the FVSL to the VMSL. I know there is a thread for that, but I would like to see a list of rankings in order. A mix of the best teams from both leagues, ranked from 1-10.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps,

I don't know if there has been new rankings done or not. As for VMSL & FVSL rankings, I would imagine that if you were to do a top 10, the VMSL would take the top 6-8... but what do I know.

Obviously, Victoria Gorge would have to be ranked #1 in BC though :rolleyes:

~TB.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rankings

Lets include the VISL in it too. Would anyone besides Gorge be ranked? I am sure there must be other competitive VISL team that could be in the rankings.
Here are my unoffical rankings
1.Vic Gorge
2.Westside
3.Surrey United
4.Pegasus
5.Sportstown F.C.
6.Metro Ford
7.Sapp
8.Nanaimo United
9.Burnaby Canadians
10.Victoria Athletics
I also have to mention Croatia, because when they turn it on, they are a good team. Croatia playing its finest would be easily included in these rankings. I am just basing my opinion on league standings and the province cup. I included the Island teams because they are close to Gorge in the Standings, and Given Gorge's level of play, there must be some competition on the Island. Croatia may in fact be better than the Island teams. Anwayz, this is just my opinion, and this is why it would be interesting to see other rankings done.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia, while Johnny Sulentic was in the line-up, was with out a doubt the best team in the Province if not the entire country.

The record speaks for itself. 10 wins, 0 loses and a couple of draws to a very lucky Westside and Peg.

But then again my oppinion could be slightly biased...;)

Forza Croazia

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia

You know what, with Johnny Sulentic in the lineup, Croatia was the best team in the province. You guys are good team, and the addition of a good player like Johhny makes you guys an excellent team. The problem is you guys dont have him for the full season. If you did, I would predict that you guys would win the province cup. I guess it just shows how close the teams are in the premier divison where one player can push a side from being in the middle of the pack to going undefeated for a very long stretch.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Man Team

Every team out there is talking about how they are the best in the province with so-and-so or with the star.

Your team is only as good as your worst player, is that the classic saying that has been said before.

Sportstoon is an OK team, but with JJ up front scoring all kind of goals they are a great team, well JJ is not around when it all counts, so Sportstoon does nothing and what do all those big wins with him in the line-up really mean.

Croatia was shite before X-mas, but after the New Year with Johnny, they were one of the best in the league, who cares, he helped you out of relegation, but your team did nothing in Cup.

Go around the league, almost every team lost one or more players to pro commitments at the end of the winter season.

Westside was a cracker team with Olie in the line-up, they were still good with-out him, and proved it with two cups this year.

I don't want to hear anymore how good a team is with so-and-so, because who cares unless he is on the park in the games that really matter.

so-and-hos

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Man Team

That is a good point. You are only as good as your worst player. I guess the team that consistently plays well is the best team. Maybe we should ask which team has the most potential? That once again though is a mute point. It's just amazing though how one or two players in Premier can effect a team so much. I guess the simplest way to rank teams is to base it on their performance. Every other way allows for too much opinion.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia had 6 players return after Christmas. True while Johnny S was on the team every ball went through him, he took all the free kicks and corners and was allowed to float but, the team was pretty strong after he left. Imperial Cup Semi and Provincial Cup 1/4 finals is not doing nothing in Cup. Burnaby Canadians/ Wesburn ever win anything?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Neither Team has Won B.C.'s, Lately

Croatia may have made it to the semi's and quarters, they did not take the next step to the winners cirlce, as we also did not take the next steps.

You asked what we have won, it got me thinking with the talk of rankings on what are the best teams of B.C. in the past 20 years or so. Lets call it modern times.
This would be based on Cups won, quality of players, consistancy of winning.

Top 5

1. Norvan (1989-1993) - This team dominated local soccer during this time, with Provincial Cups and Canadian Championships. Some of the best players in the league today started on this team.

2. Westside (1993 - 2000) - They are one of the leaders for Cups won in the past 10 years, and they were able to come close again with a solid team of vets. They had the triple just a couple of years ago, and a solid year this year.

3. Fireman (1982-1984) - This club has allways had strong teams, but at this time they were able to get the triple. Look at how strong there over 35's teams are today.

4. Q.P.R. (1985-1988) - This team was able to win the Imperial Cup, Provincial Cup and make it to the Canadian Final as a third Div. team in the VMSL. Put they had just left the Coast League and had some great players on the team.

5. Pegasus (1993-1998) - This team took over from Norvan, as the powerhouse team of the NorthShore. A very talented and very young team that was able to win Leagues and Provincials, but not bring home the Canadian trophy.

H.M. Vic. Gorge (2000-2001) - It may because they are fresh in my mind, but they have repeated as B.C. Champs, and they made it to the Canadian Finals last year.

* Vic. West did win the B.C.'s several times in the early 80's and late 70's, but that is not part of the modern era.
* Croatia did win the B.C.'s twice in the mid-80's, but they are an ethnic team and don't count for a provincial cup.

HOS

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Neither Team has Won B.C.'s, Lately

Originally posted by Hands of Stone

* Croatia did win the B.C.'s twice in the mid-80's, but they are an ethnic team and don't count for a provincial cup.

HOS [/B]
Why wouldn't an ethnic team count for the provincial cup?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Need a Green Card to Play

How can you play for a Canadian Championship, if the players are not Canadian.
I know we all come from some other country if we are not First Nations, and I am opening a huge can of worms, just for a little piss take of Croatia. But here goes.

If you are playing for a Provincial or Canadian Championship, shouldn't the players all be Canadian.
I don't know but how many of the players on that team had their Canadian papers.

I shouldn'd be too critical of the Croatian Club, I think they had an all Scottish back line, which is why they probably won those cups.
CDK, any chance you have the line-up of those great teams.

HOSdon'tneednostinkinGreenCard,IwasborninEastL.A.:eek:

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes the backline during the '85 Natioanl Championship was mainly Non Croatian. The midfield and forwards were very much made up of players of Croatian hgeritage. But what most people don't understand is that Croatia SC has always welcomed any player that has ability and wants to play for Croatia. Last season there were about six players of non Croatian heritage on the team and they were treated very well by the club and the fans.

Sure the Croatian community likes to see Croatian players get a chance on the first team but they would much rather see good soccer being played. Croatia SC would welcome players like Olie and Simon in a heartbeat if they ever decided to leave Westside (they're East Van boys anyway) ;)

You also must remember that the Croatian community in Vancouver is one of the smallest. We support our teams and we support the game very well considering our numbers. What would the BCFC tourney be without Croatia? A much poorer BCFC...

The '84 to '86 Croatia team went un -beaten for three league seasons. I would say along with an earlier Columbus team, Victorias Gorge of the early '80's and Westside in the last few years are the top teams to play in the province.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by CDK
But what most people don't understand is that Croatia SC has always welcomed any player that has ability and wants to play for Croatia. Last season there were about six players of non Croatian heritage on the team and they were treated very well by the club and the fans.

CDK, I hold the Croatian community in the highest regard. Even in my early years living in PG, the Croatian team there welcomed all players. Being Indo-Canadian, I see many similarities between the two cultures and have found the croatian community to be one of the most tolerant and accepting ethnic communities out there. Croatia SC has a strong tradition and it is commendable that the majority of players are Croatian. Becuase the club draws on a small population, it is pretty amazing how well they do. To field a team from a small poplulation of that calibre is impressive. I guess that is why the team is always just one or two players short of becoming a dominant team. If you compare the population Croatia draws its teams from to what Westside draws from, it is obvious who has the advantage. Having said that, you cannot blame Westside for having a large population to draw from. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Croatia SC. IS the population growing? If so, they will be a team of the future. If does not grow, then what?

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cro soccer players in Lower Mainland

I would say not all good Croatian soccer players living in lower mainland play for Croatia SC. I suppose my statement could be argumentative, are some of these guys playing for non Croatian teams good enough to play In VMSL premier. Perhaps a few are good enough to play VMSL premier. So if a few of these good Cro players join Croatia SC, would Croatia SC have a stronger premier team?

I personally do not believe one guy makes or breaks a premier team, even though J Sulentic is a very good player. If that was so, then it doesnt say much for the VMSL Premier division.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia

Is there anyone out there, for arguments sake, that would argue with the thought that with Johnny Sulentic and whomever else the Croatians have lost during the season, that with there full roster, they would be the best team in the province? I know this is a mute point, because they will never have their full squad during cup play and the season end. But, would they be the best?

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper's poor attempt at taking the piss aside. Croatia were definately on fire during that long unbeaten streak. Along with Bronco's TTP statement, you could just see that after every win it was getting under everybody's skin. Not only was Croatia winning games but averaging 3 goals a game.

If anyone watched a Croatia game during that run they were definately entertained. That's what I'd like to point out. The games that Croatia played, no matter who it was, were entertaining. That could not be said for the other teams mentioned. Sure, Westside with a full line up were very good and Surrey United tried very hard, Pegasus had a great team on paper (lacked any heart) but, If you wanted to watch good soccer after Christmas you'd be well off to watch a Croatia game.

You could see that the pace Croatia was on during that run, if they had their full line-up for the first ten games, would have finnished with over 40 pts.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0