Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] Preseason banter 04'

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionheart

Dec 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey girls just thought I would start up the thread for this year and ofcourse throw in some piss taking.
Thought I would see what everyone thinks about Coq. city wanting to play their games on friday nights on charles best turf instead of sundays.
They aren't asking the league, but rather asking each team for the input.
Poco team had a discussion on this topic and decided that this has no benefit to our team. Many of our girls work friday nights and want to be able to watch their husbands and boyfriends play on fridays. Second if one team starts doing this how many others are going to follow. And then we have a problem the men's premier teams have, really how many games to they even play on sundays. Third the coq. city team always struggles fielding a team until college and univ. players are back and so by playing on fridays they could pick up as many youth players as needed. All of the other teams would not have this advantage.
My 2 cents: I think if the coach of the premier team runs the organization then he should be able to pick a sunday spot on charles best turf. Why aren't lower divisions taking the friday night spots to help with field times. Being on a premier team should have some benefits and that is to get a good field and a good time slot.
I'm curious to see what premier men think of this. What did all the teams think of playing on friday nights. It seems to work well with the cat system. But that system is far from being possible in the womens league because we don't have the numbers. So I really don't see any benefits?????
Ok I'm done :eek: Lionheart

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: MWSL Premier 2004

Actually Lionheart, I'm not against the Friday night games (as long as it's not at like 6 or 7 in Coq since traffic in that area is hell!!). And as long as the league puts the sked out a little in advance (which with our league is sometimes asking a lot) most people would be able to change their work shift (as they would if they had an evening exhibition game).

The Friday night games definitely promote a post-game atmosphere that you would not see at a 10am Sunday game (or 9am for the Poco team :eek: ). It also frees up your entire weekend and allows for more team bonding with post-game bevvies and a night out (an 11:30am finish on a Sunday isn't exactly prime drinking time).

Plus your point about Coq city having a lot of university and college players is pretty moot. Most of their players and pretty much their starting 11 are all done their eligibility and I don't think I've ever seen that team pick up any youth players for games. Compared to the fields they had in Coquitlam last year I think the turf on Fridays is way better than that.

Anyways that's my two cents - the occasional Friday game is a bonus in my books.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just edited the title a bit so it's easier for everyone to find what they're looking for. So please ladies, continue to remove all your clothing and roll around in the Jell-O.

Thank you,

TTP Management.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Many of our girls work friday nights and want to be able to watch their husbands and boyfriends play on fridays.
Many men work Friday nights and want to be able to watch their wives and girlfriends play on Fridays.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and all that -- I don't see a problem.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets Go Friday

lionheart said:
I'm curious to see what premier men think of this.

Friday night games is one of the BIG reasons I am playing with my current team. Friday Nights let me go play a little footy after work, then have a meal and a pint, perhaps a venture to the club, and then the rest of the weekend with the wife and kids (family time). I find that Sat. or Sun. afternoon games, kill that day completly, because you are waiting around for the game, and then you want to have a beer after, but it is only 4 pm and it is still early for dinners and stuff. With a family, I far prefer the friday nights, and I am sure when my kids start playing on Sat or Sun morning, that I will enjoy the Friday night game even more.
By the way, Queens Park Stadium is totally ripped up and will not habv any games on it this year, but wait until next year when it is finished, I am thinking that it will be one of the best Natural GRASS Pitches in the City, as long as it is open to soccer.

Are any of the Girls teams entering the Burnaby Tourney with NO money up for graps?

hos

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't have a problem with Friday night games, I actually would prefer them if it means getting a nice game field. Being a Premier team should give you some weight in time slots and field allocations but it hasn't really in the past so I don't know if it will change now (I only say this because we are part of a youth club, I'm sure the adult only clubs are different). Women playing on Friday nights will play to the advantage of some teams and a disadvantage to others just like it does in the Mens League. Some of the Men's teams play Friday, Sat. and Sun. now so whether us women play on Friday or Sunday doesn't make a difference to me. I personally like the idea of having the rest of weekend free.....my 2 cents....

Carebear

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Friday night games would be brilliant, and the MWSL needs to get with the times. If anyone has been to Mundy 4 on a Friday night - before the rains hit - they would see that Metro Ford mens games are packed with spectators with unmatched atmosphere - something the Whitecaps would give a collective left nut for. Other mens clubs have followed suit with tremendous success. It gives clubs a marquee game for their youth players (and the community in general) to watch. It frees up valuable and limited Sunday field times for youth teams.

This is Premier soccer, folks. A premier team should be able to play at any time they want. And it shouldn't be for lower division teams - because rec soccer should be played on Sundays. Further, how many of you all bitched about Centennial Oval last year (rightly so)? Well, this is the way around it.

The MWSL Premier Division is one of the top three womens leagues in Canada. It should be treated as such by the league, the teams and the players. If you want to play every Sunday at 10am, go play div1, 2 or 3. If you want to play the best level - then be prepared to make the commitment.

I do agree though, that the schedule should be released long in advance so that players and teams can make necessary arrangements for a Friday game. That's only fair. And that would affect Coquitlam as well, for that matter. With the game on turf, at least you'd know the game was 99% certain to be played - unless it snowed.

As for Coquitlam being able to bring up youth players. That's the freaking point of a club system. Oh but I forgot, because Coquitlam, Surrey and UBC are quality teams with quality management and good coaching, we're supposed to make it harder on them. :rolleyes:

(PS... I am picking Norvan to be the fourth team this year, maybe even third. The partnership with North Shore Girls is a fantastic and long overdue idea, and will be a boon for womens soccer on the North Shore.)

As for HOS's comments. He's right on. For most players, Friday night games would be welcomed (whole weekend off!). And no prize money this weekend at BCFC tourney for women is fcuking stupid. (Hey HOS, how's it going?)

Anyhow, my $0.02 for a while. Missed it here. Like to stir the pot a little. But since I don't miss the MWSL at all, I'll probably just lurk around here quietly for the time being. But I am definitely looking forward to the Coquitlam City vs Surrey United match at Best on a Friday night in the not too distant future! (If you came to the League Cup semi last year in Port Moody - a Sunday night game - you know what two quality teams and a night game can be like. Wow!)

FB out!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the record...

Senior soccer is not a priority of many youth-based clubs - although that seems to be improving. Second, in many municipalities, single-entity teams don't get fields, and the MWSL has had no luck securing decent fields in Coquitlam.

Translated, Coquitlam premier needs to be part of a club to get a fair field. But too get the turf, they can't play at traditional times. Remember Coquitlam has three youth soccer clubs and one turf field. That's not a lot of time go around.

I do agree though, that clubs that operate youth and senior teams should have their top senior sides at the top of the proverbial food chain. But that's an attitude adjustment that will take some time coming, as most youth-based clubs are run by parents, not people associated with the senior side.

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
This is Premier soccer, folks. A premier team should be able to play at any time they want. And it shouldn't be for lower division teams - because rec soccer should be played on Sundays. Further, how many of you all bitched about Centennial Oval last year (rightly so)? Well, this is the way around it.

The MWSL Premier Division is one of the top three womens leagues in Canada. It should be treated as such by the league, the teams and the players. If you want to play every Sunday at 10am, go play div1, 2 or 3. If you want to play the best level - then be prepared to make the commitment.
FB out!

I agree with you totally and at this point I think Coquitlam Premier will take whatever time they can get right now (if they do get time at all) just as long as they don't have to play on Centennial. I know more bitching about Centennial but honestly no matter what level of soccer and how good the teams are, it's not nice soccer to watch or play.

Carebear

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Friday night games would be great, especially if it means a good pitch. Given that these are Coquitlam City's home games, that would mean that each of the other teams would only have 1 Friday night game anyway!

Would the Coquitlam City Premier A and Premier B teams alternate weekends at their home field?

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Six of One said:
Would the Coquitlam City Premier A and Premier B teams alternate weekends at their home field?

If a time is slotted for the Coquitlam Premier A and B, I imagine that we would alternate Fridays or whatever day and time we get like we do now. Being on the Premier B team I haven't heard anything from our coaches about going to Friday's so who knows one team may get a Friday slot and one may get Sunday or even Saturday. I guess it all depends on how many teams are requesting time on the new pitch.

Carebear

woody

May 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
SBAA Strikers tried getting the Cloverdale turf Friday nights for our games but were told no because Cloverdale Football is getting it then. I also heard that because there are too many teams in Premier B that some games would be played on Tuesday nights to get all the games in.

I personally would like Friday nights...Sundays are pretty much a write-off for me. It would be nice to have a couple drinks after the game and have the rest of the weekend off.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also heard that because there are too many teams in Premier B that some games would be played on Tuesday nights to get all the games in.
That's bullsh!t. Premier B has ten teams -- same as Div 1 and 2 in the VMSL. Maybe if the league stops telling the ladies that they have to take Thanksgiving off they'll be able to fit them in.

You got the run-around, sister.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I also heard that because there are too many teams in Premier B that some games would be played on Tuesday nights to get all the games in."

Maybe if the league actually relegated a team now and then this wouldn't happen?

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB

You always seem to pick Norvan to be at the top of the leagues so-called other teams (minus Surrey, Coq, and UBC) but they never seem to pan out as much as you think they should. Although they do have several good players (most notably Sarah Regan), they have too many young and inexperienced players, and I don't think their defence is especially strong. Gabby is a pretty good goalie though and having a goalie who is actually capable of making some saves and and possibly stealing some games can be the difference from being a decent or a crappy team. I think that the good players always go to the good teams, such as UBC, Surrey, and Coq, and that is why it is so hard for the other teams to catch up. I mean, some players would rather be the 3rd goalie or the 18th player on one of the top teams than play full time on one of the other teams, and for us that has been a huge issue. Oh well, that is my bitching for the day. As for those Friday night games, I think it is a good idea, providing that all of the games don't get changed to Friday nights.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts