Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Division 1] Pre-Season Rumours and Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spazz said:
Maybe it's time to get knocked up instead of playing 90 minutes every week.... :D

Do you really play 90 minutes? From the time you get your arse outta bed, which is usually 15 mins before kick off...drive to the field...put your shite on...do your "stretches" and then say, anyone need a sub...it's usually close to 1/2 time, no? :p

90 mins...pffffffft :rolleyes:

striker14

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have fields confirmed now for Friday night......both teams will have home games on Friday nights. :)

After Thanksgiving, we will be on the new Hugh Boyd field at 7:00.

Before Thanksgiving, it will be on a turf field.....we're just not sure which one at this point in time....

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
striker14 said:
Do you really play 90 minutes? From the time you get your arse outta bed, which is usually 15 mins before kick off...drive to the field...put your shite on...do your "stretches" and then say, anyone need a sub...it's usually close to 1/2 time, no? :p

90 mins...pffffffft :rolleyes:

striker14

You mean no one else does that?

Hey, I'm there by kickoff and if I have to start then I will! But you were wrong about the stretching.... I rarely do that.

And back to Friday night games.... I may have to play drunk depending on the kickoff time.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really don't understand the big deal with Friday night games. It's not like they start at 10:00.

They start at 7:00 and are finished by 8:45......If people want to go out clubbing/pubbing after, there is PLENTY of time. If someone has kids at home, you can spend time with the kids before the game and after the game, since they don't have school on Saturday.

If someone works on Friday nights at a restaurant.....there will be ample notice as to when the Friday game is......so switch to a Saturday. After all, we have six girls who work at local restaurants during the Brunch shift, but they manage to change or delay their shift a couple of hours on the games we have Sundays......

My understanding is that Kerrisdale is the only team to complain about Friday night games. Get a few youth players out then, if numbers are going to be a problem. They play on Sundays. Since it would only be for 2 out of 14 games, I'm sure their coaches wouldn't mind, as it's not a permanent thing........

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alikira please worry about coaching your own team!
[QUOTEMy understanding is that Kerrisdale is the only team to complain about Friday night games. Get a few youth players out then, if numbers are going to be a problem. They play on Sundays. Since it would only be for 2 out of 14 games, I'm sure their coaches wouldn't mind, as it's not a permanent thing........][/QUOTE]
My buddy CHAB has no problems coaching his side. If you insist on wanting to help out other teams with your coaching expertise then maybe you should be helping out Spazz's squad!:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor said:
Alikira please worry about coaching your own team!

My buddy CHAB has no problems coaching his side. If you insist on wanting to help out other teams with your coaching expertise then maybe you should be helping out Spazz's squad!:D

I never said he had any problems coaching his side AND I have no expertise to offer. :D Just a few suggestions so they don't have to forfeit 4 games which he said last night. No one wants that. BTW, are there two other teams who play on Friday nights that we didn't know about? I'm just trying to help out when it comes to playing Friday night games........Oh and by the way, I made a mistake. There are only 3 of our girls who are on Brunch duty on Sundays.........:confused: :eek:

Off to sell some snow to the Eskimos.........

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alikira,

I stand corrected on the Friday night thing, I assumed since Premier Men and Premier Women have always played Friday nights that it was with the approval or vote of the teams in Premier. I think the women played last year for the 1st time and I thought they were asked for approval - but what do I know anyway?

1. Not all teams are fortunate enough to have a youth system to call up players. Spazz is a great example of that. She's the youngest and the're struggling or so she says.

2. It was 2 games, Club Ireland and Semiahmoo not 4 games.

3. I checked the Operating Rules and it "suggests" that games are played Saturdays and sundays but nothing is written to say it could not be played other nights. POINT for you.

4. Most teams operate under the assumption games are saturdays or sundays thus I think if teams start playing other weeknights for games, that all teams in that division (not just the pool) should get a vote on that. :rolleyes: and it should be known at the preceeding AGM that teams may have to play Friday, Saturday and sunday or for that matter. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday:D. This way, at least teams know when recruiting and can prepare accordingly. I just hope we don't get either you or Semiahmoo till October, then we have time to try to switch shifts.

5. I really have no problems with Friday nights, IF it was official for 2007-08 and beyond cuz we would know well in advance. I just hate things last minute.

6. I think you should volunteer to switch shifts with any of my players working in the bars but you have to wear heels and your kilt:cool:

7. I agree it is great for clubs to give their youth opportuntites, IF you have a youth system. The rest of us muppets don't have that advantage......and don't tell me it is not an advantage for teams with a club system. If you're short, you can call up players, we cannot.

8. To play devil's advocate here, what if the Abbotsford Mariners decided that all their home games were to be at 7 pm on Thursday or Friday night, I am sure teams would have something to say about that.

9. Not everyone has the flexibility to change their schedules at work but I hear you will fill in for them.

10. We'll still play if we have to but don't expect a pretty score. I'm just stirring the pot:D but we will be short players, unless some of the premier players want to join us who are looking for a team.

11. ONE DART.... Shhhhhhhhh...it's till Halloween.

Done - going back to the arcade so leave me alone..........

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can'tHeadABall said:
Alikira,

I stand corrected on the Friday night thing, I assumed since Premier Men and Premier Women have always played Friday nights that it was with the approval or vote of the teams in Premier. I think the women played last year for the 1st time and I thought they were asked for approval - but what do I know anyway?

1. Not all teams are fortunate enough to have a youth system to call up players. Spazz is a great example of that. She's the youngest and the're struggling or so she says.

2. It was 2 games, Club Ireland and Semiahmoo not 4 games.

3. I checked the Operating Rules and it "suggests" that games are played Saturdays and sundays but nothing is written to say it could not be played other nights. POINT for you.

4. Most teams operate under the assumption games are saturdays or sundays thus I think if teams start playing other weeknights for games, that all teams in that division (not just the pool) should get a vote on that. :rolleyes: and it should be known at the preceeding AGM that teams may have to play Friday, Saturday and sunday or for that matter. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday:D. This way, at least teams know when recruiting and can prepare accordingly. I just hope we don't get either you or Semiahmoo till October, then we have time to try to switch shifts.

5. I really have no problems with Friday nights, IF it was official for 2007-08 and beyond cuz we would know well in advance. I just hate things last minute.

6. I think you should volunteer to switch shifts with any of my players working in the bars but you have to wear heels and your kilt:cool:

7. I agree it is great for clubs to give their youth opportuntites, IF you have a youth system. The rest of us muppets don't have that advantage......and don't tell me it is not an advantage for teams with a club system. If you're short, you can call up players, we cannot.

8. To play devil's advocate here, what if the Abbotsford Mariners decided that all their home games were to be at 7 pm on Thursday or Friday night, I am sure teams would have something to say about that.

9. Not everyone has the flexibility to change their schedules at work but I hear you will fill in for them.

10. We'll still play if we have to but don't expect a pretty score. I'm just stirring the pot:D but we will be short players, unless some of the premier players want to join us who are looking for a team.

11. ONE DART.... Shhhhhhhhh...it's till Halloween.

Done - going back to the arcade so leave me alone..........

Valid points, CHAB. I can fill in anytime you or your girls need it. :D

I believe MOST teams are in the same boat regarding work/schools etc. You're going through the same issues we go through. Last year, more often than not, we had NO idea where we would be playing on the Saturday morning because the fields which were allocated were dangerous. You played on one of them. Safety issues are one reason why we wanted to go to Friday nights, knowing that we would get fields that would be 'safe' to play on.

Over the last 3 years, we didn't have a 'club' system in terms of bringing up youth players. We had players from different associations and teams come up. There was a connection with the fact that I coached the girls at high school but they weren't in our 'club' system. A lot of youth players would probably like to come up and play the odd game with the women but the reality is MOST teams don't take this route because they don't want to ruffle any feathers of the players on the team. These players need the opportunity to come up periodically so they see that there is something they might be interested in when finishing youth soccer. Anyway, I'll leave that for now.

Hopefully, we'll play you in October too, CHAB, so you can have your full team. It will make for a good game either way I'm sure.

Last year, teams complained about Saturday games......you can't win sometimes.....BTW, I'm sick and tired of having to go out to the North Shore for 9:15 starts......We have several girls who are nurses and do night shifts......have to basically go straight to the games.......should we ask to change their time? As for Abbotsford going for 7:00 games, so be it. If that was the case, we would have to do it. We play soccer because we enjoy it not so we can get it out of the way so the weekend is free. Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday......We go where we have to in order to play....Fields obviously play a big factor.....

BTW, I look okay in a field hockey skirt but I'm not sure about the heels though. The ankles/knees might not appreciate them. :)

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
Valid points, CHAB. I can fill in anytime you or your girls need it. :D

Last year, teams complained about Saturday games......

um hum, and now some of us are having a moan about having to play Fridays! Come on Ali, I would think you'd appreciate it since it gives you something to respond to!!

It is not my favourite decision to play Fridays, but since it is hopefully only going to be 2 games out of the season, then c'est la vie! At least we don't have to worry about drinking too much or having too much fun on those particular Satruday nights since it won't matter if you're hung over on Sunday morning!

I'm off to the PNE this afternoon for a few hours of nostalgia with my dad and my sister....I wonder how running/training will feel with my belly full of mini-donughts? Probably not very good :( . Happy times!

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
BTW, I'm sick and tired of having to go out to the North Shore for 9:15 starts......

No doubt! I'd rather play Friday nights instead of driving out to the North Shore and kicking off before the sun comes up! My body doesn't actually wake up til 11am so I'm basically a pylon until then.

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spazz said:
My body doesn't actually wake up til 11am so I'm basically a pylon until then.

hmmm, only a pylon until 11am Spazz? we will have to test this theory the next time we play!!;) jk

Mrs. munchkin

~SCORE MORE~

Jul 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I play in North Van now and the league has told me that our home games will be Sunday evenings... Sure as hell beats those 9:15 am games you are talking about.:knvb:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
~SCORE MORE~ said:
I play in North Van now and the league has told me that our home games will be Sunday evenings... Sure as hell beats those 9:15 am games you are talking about.:knvb:

FFS, we can't play Sunday nights. That is when the Flying Beaver has its cheap pints. :mad:

Interesting that I had an e-mail sent to me saying that all games on Sunday had to be between 9 - 4....Hmmmm, funny how that works.....

~SCORE MORE~

Jul 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
Interesting that I had an e-mail sent to me saying that all games on Sunday had to be between 9 - 4....Hmmmm, funny how that works.....

Maybe they meant that the Sunday evening games were at 4pm...:confused: who knows, I just wish the schedule was out already!:D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey folks.

Friday nights (and even Sat/Sun nights) are here to stay. Get used to it - particularly for adult soccer. As you all know, soccer participation has skyrocketed in the past decade. As you also all know, most municipalities have failed to keep pace with field development and maintenance. Thus, with more demand and less supply, the days of boys on Saturday and girls on Sunday are long gone.

I remember when almost every team in the MWSL played at 10 or 12 on Sundays. Of course, I also remember that I coached the first team to go 'outside the box', playing home games at Port Moody turf at 6pm Sundays. (That pissed people off.)

The bottom line, we all want to play on good fields. The majority of good fields these days are turf. Cities have to maximize use of those fields, and youth soccer - for logistical, financial and political reasons - will continue to monopolize the prime weekend day timeslots. So, senior soccer has been forced to change its thinking and go with evening times.

Now, if you have ever experienced a Friday night game, you know it's the best time to play. (1) there's something about playing under the lights, and you usually get more spectators; (2) you have the rest of the weekend to your thing; (3) you don't have to worry about recovery in time for work on Monday, either from actually playing or from the bevvies afterwards. (This becomes more of a issue as you get older, trust me.)

Anyhow, enjoy night soccer. It could be worse, we could be playing hockey at 11pm on Friday nights, or 7am Sunday mornings!

FB out.

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed... and not being drunk Sunday afternoon is a good thing.

On another note I think we finally have enough players now.... :wa: (until someone gets pregnant or injured)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Hey folks.

Friday nights (and even Sat/Sun nights) are here to stay. Get used to it - particularly for adult soccer. As you all know, soccer participation has skyrocketed in the past decade. As you also all know, most municipalities have failed to keep pace with field development and maintenance. Thus, with more demand and less supply, the days of boys on Saturday and girls on Sunday are long gone.

I remember when almost every team in the MWSL played at 10 or 12 on Sundays. Of course, I also remember that I coached the first team to go 'outside the box', playing home games at Port Moody turf at 6pm Sundays. (That pissed people off.)

The bottom line, we all want to play on good fields. The majority of good fields these days are turf. Cities have to maximize use of those fields, and youth soccer - for logistical, financial and political reasons - will continue to monopolize the prime weekend day timeslots. So, senior soccer has been forced to change its thinking and go with evening times.

Now, if you have ever experienced a Friday night game, you know it's the best time to play. (1) there's something about playing under the lights, and you usually get more spectators; (2) you have the rest of the weekend to your thing; (3) you don't have to worry about recovery in time for work on Monday, either from actually playing or from the bevvies afterwards. (This becomes more of a issue as you get older, trust me.)

Anyhow, enjoy night soccer. It could be worse, we could be playing hockey at 11pm on Friday nights, or 7am Sunday mornings!

FB out.

Makes sense to me. :) Well said, FB. :)

I see the league has decided to play our first away game for our division one team on Friday night at Semi. No problem except our Selects team has a home game on Friday. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0