Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Cup Results 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This thread is for 2003 MWSL Cup banter (all divisions).

Obviously.

While there isn't any info provided by the league on groups or trees, so far I've managed to extrapolate the groupings & standings for Div 1 and have posted them here. Div 2 will be up later this weekend and the premier cup will come as they begin their competition.

Please excuse the Westside bias. :p

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Division 2 Teams,

The games in both Chanpionship and Consolation rounds will be going up on the web page later today. This groups was especially difficult after we got past the first place teams due to the dropping out of the competition by several teams. This produced a skewed result where ther were only 3 teams in a group. I am not sure of what the "right" solution to this is but we multiplied the 2nd place finishers points by 3/2 to come up with a result. While it is not perfect it did move 1 of the teams who finished 2nd in a group of 3 into the Championship group. The details will be sent to you later today.

This was sent out by the league president today. It seems that they are just a confused about how the cup process goes as the rest of us are.

It will be interesting to see how this affects all those other second place teams that may have made it through to the championship round. I am assuming that the second placed teams were picked based on point total and goal difference, but who knows for sure?

glasgow ghirl

Oct 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a load of crap .. we play another 1st place team who also won there group. How the hell are they gonna be able to give any team a fair shake on this. Teams should be penalized a fine for dropping out of Cup play. Wheres the dedication...I bet at least one team that dropped out will get promoted the a higher division too!!! That how this league works.

GG

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with GG on the fines for teams that drop out of cup. This is along the same lines as teams that chose not to get promoted.

If the team agrees to play in the cup then they have also agreed to finish the cup regardless of how their games went.

Maybe not just a fine but a team suspension or something for summer or an automatic 9 point deduction from their seasons standings or next seasons standings. Anything really just so all the other teams who have committed to cup don't get screwed royally!

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a bit more than ridiculous. Multiplying point totals by 1.5? This is were the league needs to finally make some sort of distinction between competetive and recreational play. Send a package out to all teams and tell them to make a choice: one league for comp and another for rec. Then be done with all this mess.

In the meantime, this year's trees for various divisions (but not all) are here.

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Division 2 Teams

There were some problems in your group especially with 2 teams dropping out long after the draw had been done. This created a problem in determing the 2nd place teams moving to the Championship group. In the groups with only 3 teams teams that finished 2nd could only get a maximum of 4 points. We converted this with a formula of 3/2 x the number of points. This did not solve the problem of a 2nd place being given the opportunity to play the 3rd game. As a result 2 of the teams are being given the opportunity to play a 3rd game this week. If either one of them wins the game then it will probably change which teams will move forward in the Championship and Consolation groups. As soon as we have a result we will let everyone by email.

Well, thank God they cleared that up!

:confused:

glasgow ghirl

Oct 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you fukking kidding me ... What are they thinking at the office. How the hell do they come up with that remedy. Then how are they gonna come up with a draw as to which team gets to play who? Why wouldn't they just condense the Champion Side to a smaller group and stick to the rules?????
These guys blow me away ... We need some serious structure in the ladies league.

GG

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice fcuking scheduling, MWSL. According to the 'original'(Monday of this week) schedule, we were to play two home games this weekend and next weekend. Now they have us playing at 10:00 and both of the games are now away. Great stuff. Fcuking shambles. We are going to be struggling big time this weekend with THREE key injuries and TWO key players being unavailable. Club I women MIGHT experience the first loss of the year.....:( Whatever, we'll give it our best shot.

Captain

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They have really screwed up the cup and schedules.
Mrs. Yoda's Poco team had the last weekend off and next weekend off before playing their first elimination round of cup.
There's nothing like sitting for 2 weeks before your first key cup game.

And i thought the FVSL league was brutal.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It gets even worse from here. Premier A players who are involved with the national training crew are scheduled to play a certain Premier A team, the same fricken day as a deciding league (or cup) game... Some of the players representing the national training squad are on teams that have deciding games ... It so happens that the certain Premier A team set up to play the national training squad, doesn't have a game scheduled. Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now I understand why I took two seasons off from this league :rolleyes:

It's going to be hard getting back into it, but the injuries can use some rest:( All I know is that I will enjoy sleeping in on Sunday morning, nursing the hangover I couldn't enjoy last weekend :eek:

Good Luck Club I, you'll pull through in the end! :wa:

+SC

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC said:
It gets even worse from here. Premier A players who are involved with the national training crew are scheduled to play a certain Premier A team, the same fricken day as a deciding league (or cup) game... Some of the players representing the national training squad are on teams that have deciding games ... It so happens that the certain Premier A team set up to play the national training squad, doesn't have a game scheduled. Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:confused:

Okay, SC... I'll bite. Which teams are you talking about. I love conspiracies, but I am missing this one. There's only one Premier A team that gets what they want, and they were unceremoniously dumped from Cup - despite the 'easiest' draw. And I can't imagine they got a game with the nats.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
There's only one Premier A team that gets what they want, and they were unceremoniously dumped from Cup - despite the 'easiest' draw. And I can't imagine they got a game with the nats.

I'm not sure who you are refering to...

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe SC is referring to Surrey United who has a game scheduled against the NTC at an insane 9am kickoff. I assumed the team we were playing was the U-19 team since the senior team is away at Olympic qualifiers but maybe that still affects the teams involved in the deciding league game.

Believe me SC, we don't want to take any players away from UBC Alumni (if that's what you're implying) because we need them to beat Coquitlam so we can win the league. Looking at the 9am start time, I'm sure many players on our team could really care less if there is a game or not.

nutmegswishingshecouldsleepoffthehangoveronSundaylikeSCwill.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Believe me SC, we don't want to take any players away from UBC Alumni (if that's what you're implying) because we need them to beat Coquitlam so we can win the league.
Definitely a stroke of luck for Coquitlam. Not that they wouldn't beat Sportstown, but it will make things a little easier having to face an undermanned side. It will be interesting to see if Coquitlam can get the job done this week after missing the opportunity last week.

PS: Read the MWSL Constitution - yes they do have one - and the first tiebreaker is goal difference - not head-to-head which is breaker #2. So, Coquitlam must win this Sunday, or SU claims the league title. That is kind of silly. :rolleyes:

:confused: Does anyone know if the League Champ gets a bye or anything into BC's?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Provincial Cup news

BC Soccer website has some info on the Provincial Cup. Big changes this year. First of all there will be sixteen teams - no word on the split but probably 12 for MWSL and 4 for Island, maybe 10/6?

Also, the final is a week earlier ... May 2. At Kinsman. :confused: No offense to the North Shore people, but Kinsman isn't really the ideal home for a Provincial Championship - what's wrong with Swangard, Town Centre, Rotary or that new stadium in Chilliwack? Real stadiums.

The semis are in Victoria on April 24/25. However, if there's no Island teams, these games will be moved to Burnaby. :D Finally. This is a policy a long time coming.

Even more interesting is that the mens and womens tourneys won't shadow each other. The mens semis are at Town Centre on May 9. And then the Final is on May 15 at Swangard as a doubleheader with the Whitecaps.

I don't have a problem with playing the final before the Caps game - although which is the better game may end up being a matter of debate - but it looks like the BCSA (and even the Whitecaps?) are minimizing the importance of the women's province cup. The men will get to play in the pre-eminent soccer stadium in front of thousands, while the women are relegated to a field than can't accomodate more than immediate family.

This is a shame. The women's finals over the past three years have been wonderfully played games worthy of being played in top flight venue in front of soccer fans.

BC Soccer is selling short their female members. And quite frankly, where the hell was the MWSL when all this was going on at Cup Competition Meetings.

Just my $0.02. But it doesn't seem right.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Provincial Cup news

I say we start a campaigne, FAT BASTARD FOR LEAGUE PRESIDENT.
Nutmegs, believe me, I know what you're saying. You have to admit, there are no surprises, or at least we should stop being surprised of some of the decisions made. ;)

If you want my hangover, you'll have to join me at the wedding reception tomorrow night!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div. 3 Club Ireland 9 Semiamhoo 1

Div. 2 Club Ireland 4 New West Hyacks 0

The girls were FANTASTIC today. Up the Hoops.....

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 'B' 5 North Shore Rage 2

After giving up a goal in the first minute and falling behind 2 - 1 in the second half, the ladies pulled out a relatively easy victory. The field was a mud bath at Minoru but the ladies played very well in the second half, once we picked up the level of intensity. Onto the semi-finals.........For the record, that pervert from Semi was there watching us play again. The ref asked for the cards to make sure everyone was legitimate, and of course they were. Pervert, if you read this, you might want to go seek some help.

Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts