Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Cup Results 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
:mad:

Thanks for coming out....Fcukers........

H: New West Hyacks
V: Dzunakwa Mar 14, 2004
10:00am Terry Hughes
Game J

Shoc-king.................

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hyacks'll lose again..... that team is in their pool and beat them every game....

Too bad.... I think we could've had a chance to get through....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Finally.....

We picked a poor time to have an absolute stinker of a half. Our first half was the worst all year, probably having something to do with amount of girls who went to Roosters to celebrate 3 birthdays. The Gunners outworked us and beat us to every ball. We had a player in net, as our regular goalie was unavailable, which didn't help much. The first goal was off a long throw and somehow it went through the keepers hands? The second goal came from about 35 yards, with the keeper standing about the penalty spot. Down 2 - 0 at the half. We didn't try keeping possession and started playing the same humping style the other team was. They had one good player upfront who scored the goal and that was it......

The second half was a completely different game as we rarely left their half. We had a couple of great chances only to be thwarted by their keeper. We finally scored with about 10 minutes to go. 2 minutes after this we should have had a definite penalty. The shot clearly struck the girls arm, which was away from the body. I couldn't believe he didn't call it. Anyway, we threw everything at them and had two more magic chances, which went by wide by centimetres or had the keeper block.....End of game. We lost to a team, who God bless them, couldn't play any sort of 'sexy' football. Sometimes it works, I guess, but I'd still rather have my teams play good football AND work hard. The first half we did neither. The second half we did everything we needed to to get a result. GG had a point blank header on the last play of the game but had it spin off wide. Anyway, a great season for the girls and hopefully they all learned something about festivities the night before. Despite their water consumption after 1:00 :rolleyes: :D :p , it really showed that we were not up to par. BTW, I've never drank the night before a game....... :eek: :rolleyes: Well done the Hoops on a tremendous season and we're looking forward to next year, where we will hopefully be in division one and division two.........

The real reason we lost the game now was because we are going to have a wrap-up on March 3rd, so the final would have interfered with the social part of the club, which is very important. :D

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, the wrap-up is on April 3rd, the day after our Night at the Races, so it could be a solid 48 hours of beveraging.

Hail! Hail!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I forgot to mention that were a very classy team and their coaches were excellent. Good people and they were very gracious in victory. I hope they win the final. They work very hard but if they're playing a younger team in the final, the fitness might be an issue, as it appeared to be in the last 15-20 minutes especially.

Captain

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Coquitlam City 2 - Surrey United 0

One of the things - one of the few things - I miss about MWSL is the matches between Surrey United and Coquitlam City (Burnaby Canadians). Tonite's match was another absolutely brilliant game won by Coquitlam - who will now take on Sportstown UBC in the final.

If ever the MWSL needed evidence that Premier teams should be encouraged to go with night games, tonight was it. Of course, nobody - that's NOBODY - from the league executive came out to see what had to be considered a 'marquee' match-up.

There was probably a 150-200 people at the park. The crowd was definitely pro-CCFC, and erupted when Phebe Trotman slid through a cross from Amber Allen - just beating Wendy Hawthorne to the ball - and giving CCFC the lead with about 20 minutes to play. Amber rounded out the scoring a few minutes later.

These two teams showed emotion and intensity not often seen in MWSL games - and the game offered a level of entertainment and quality soccer unmatched by any womens soccer you'll see at the Swan this summer. (No disrespect to the 'Caps, but you need TWO great teams to have a great game.)

Speaking of the 'Caps... Bennett was in attendance. I hope what he saw proved to him that women can play the game the way it was meant to be played - despite what the national team shows every time out. And I hope he also saw that he can field a quality, entertaining side without relying on the National team airlift - which is more disruptive than anything.

Too bad Lenarduzzi didn't seem fit to come watch no fewer than 6 of his soccer slaves put on a great performance - Trotman, Allen, Hicks, Artuso, Maglio, McLure. He might have actually decided to actually sign the odd one.

Kudos to both sides for a great night of soccer.

GLORY! GLORY! COQUITLAM CITY! :knvb:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Coquitlam City 2 - Surrey United 0

Fat Bastard said:
One of the things - one of the few things - I miss about MWSL is the matches between Surrey United and Coquitlam City (Burnaby Canadians). :

I miss these great games, FB, there have been some fantastic games between these two teams.
Not surpirised to hear Phoebe's or Amber's names, they could both start up front for Canada.

Congrats to Jimmy Holiday, 1st year Head Coach of this great womens team, I think it 3 or 4 years in a row in the B.C. Final for the girls. The problem is, they will be coming in as the favorites vs. UBC this year, not like the past when it was a big upset for a Burnaby win.

Good luck Jimmy and the PussyCats, I hope you girls can win and get back to Nationals and make right that nightmare last year.

hos

SoccerB

Mar 18, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: MWSL Cup Results

Well Captian, I must say that a lot of what you wrote is very nice...being a Coquitlam City Gunner, Div 3. I have played very good soccer in the past having played for 23 years and it was a good game. We dominated the first half but your team played well as well. We did play very classy soccer the first half and just happened to out play you. The second half was your half because we had a 2-0 lead we were playing more defensive which threw us off as we are a very aggressive offensive team. Our goalie did make great saves but....did not have a shot on her the whole first half. I must say that we have played "younger" ( I am only 28) teams in this cup and my hats off to you guys. The "younger" teams usually fall apart and start yelling at eachother but not your team. Their heads were in it and the kept on going. The ref was fair in most opinions because he called it both ways. Twice I saw the ball go off your players hand and arm with out a call and you know, I am the same as you in I wanted a call. There were a couple of questionable throw-ins on your side that went un called. Also you had at least 2 free kicks outside the 18 and nothing came of them. Yes we scored from a throw-in but it is still a goal and it did go off one of our players and yes a big shot from far out but that girl on our team is amazing as is our whole group. I never make the excuse that I was drinking the night before which I have been known to do and it didn't seem to affect your girls any cause they were a runnin'. Also, our goalie has missed a couple of games and can never make practices and 2 weeks ago we had a girl in who has never played before and came out with a 3-1 win.I agree that the second half was a little deflated on our part but we still pulled through. If you saw our game last Sunday...or even the first half this game, you would see that we play very classy soccer, as do you.
Thank you for saying those nice things about us and we do feel the same in return and we hope to go through to the end too...even if they are a "younger" team.
Take care and good luck to all of you next year
SoccerB :cool:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, SoccerB. I only disagree with a couple of things you said. I've seen our team play all year obviously and we have NEVER played as poorly as we did the first half. Your team was beating us to every ball and looked like you wanted it more. I know a lot of that had to do with the amount of girls on the team(key players) who were out. I don't think it was a coincidence that we dominated the second half like we did, as the cobwebs were finally being lifted. Again, I am certainly not taking anything away from your team's gritty performance. The other thing was regarding the hand balls. Yes, the ref had a problem for some reason spotting them. However, the two hand balls that should have been called against us were in the middle of the field and were no where near danger. The one blatant hand ball on the shot from just outside the 18 hit your player inside the box. I'm sure you remember the incident as there was about 5 minutes to go at that point. Either way, the ref did an okay job with most of the other stuff and I certainly wouldn't blame him for our team's shoc-king first half performance.

Your team had a tendency, even in the first half to knock balls forward to number 19, as I kept hearing people on the sidelines shouting...."Up the field" quite often......but if it works then go for it. Anyway, good luck again in the final.

Captain

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like some quaility women's matches this weekend (at the same field) :wa: ...

Consolation Group
H: SBAA Saints
V: Westside Shooters Mar 28, 2004
10:00am S.Surrey Ath. Park

Championship Group
H: UBC Alumni Sportstown
V: Winner Game F Mar 28, 2004
12:00pm S.Surrey Ath. Park

Good luck to all involved!

+SC

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wonder if the MWSL will push the premier final back a week? Both teams could be hit by key absences due to the UVic tournament this weekend. I don't know why the league decided to schedule the premier teams away from the rest of the league, but given the quality of a UBC/CCFC match up, you'd think they would want it to be the showcase match for the league's one-and-only true showcase event.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oops. My bad.

OK... I have to retract my last commentary. Turns out that the MWSL has no choice but to hold the Premier final this weekend, as next weekend is the start of Provincial Cup play - which does seem to be starting much sooner that past years. :)

Speaking of BC's ... Cup draw is scheduled for the 25th. 16 teams this year I think. Should make some for interesting first round games, because the Island teams and the lower MWSL Premier teams should match up nicely.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Game change...

Looks like we'll get to see the full teams in action...game change

H: UBC Alumni Sportstown
V: Coquitlam City FC Apr 4, 2004
2:00pm S.Surrey Ath. Park
Field #8

...still on as scheduled... :wa:
Consolation Group
H: SBAA Saints
V: Westside Shooters Mar 28, 2004
10:00am S.Surrey Ath. Park.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does this mean that the provincial cup games now are pushed back to april 18th.
Nope. These two teams have byes the first round of BC's.

Apparently, BC Soccer has increased the number of teams in women's Provincials to 12. 7 from MWSL and 5 from the rest of the BC (LIWSA is the only one I know).

So all but Richmond from Premier A make it. Apparently the League Cup counted towards qualifying and the four semi finalists get the top four spots - and the rest are handed out as per the standings. I don't know if this was mentioned to the teams beforehand, but I know some people weren't aware.

In any case, the reason the final can be pushed back one week is that the top four seeds in the BC's get byes to the QF's. This would be CCFC, UBC, and SU, plus the LIWSA #1 seed (Gorge?).

The remaining 8 teams will playoff as per the draw (held tonight) for the privilege to play one of these top four teams.

What usually happens is the MWSL #1 and the LIWSA #1 are split so they can't face each other until the final. Of course, this means that CCFC (which should be the #1 seed) will have earned the right to have SU or UBC on their side of the draw. Thus, by finishing 2nd or 3rd, UBC and SU may actually get the easier route through to the final because the toughest team they will have to face will be the Island #1 or perhaps MWSL #4 or #5.

The only good thing is that by expanding the far superior MWSL is better represented. Some of the island teams that get in are not very strong. Not surprising given the player base, but a bit frustrating for some of the MWSL teams who have been on the outside looking in in past years.

FBoutofbreath...bye :D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
did I hear someone say beergarden?

I'm hearing there's a bzzr garden for the big match-up this weekend. I can't believe there's going to be a mix of quality womens' soccer and alcohol :eek:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: did I hear someone say beergarden?

SC said:
I can't believe there's going to be a mix of quality womens' soccer and alcohol :eek:

If there is a mix of quality women and alcohol, that is even better; may have to stop by. Bzzr Garden, what a great idea, I wonder if any of the exects over at the VMSL have thought of that for a Final?

hos

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure if the women aren't "quality" the beer in the beer garden can always fix that.
Does anyone know if they have posted the game times and fields yet for Provincials?

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda said:
I'm sure if the women aren't "quality" the beer in the beer garden can always fix that.
Yogi, I guess now that you are 'safe' with wife and child, you feel the need to say the 'darnest' things :rolleyes: :eek:

There is a shite load of match-ups out in South Surrey. Anywhere from U-21 cup finals through to Div 4 cup finals. I'll be there to watch the 'classics' :wa: I'm trying to find a cut and paste sched but I've got to run to the couch...

later skater

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC said:
There is a shite load of match-ups out in South Surrey. Anywhere from U-21 cup finals through to Div 4 cup finals.

I saw in the Burnaby Rag today that there are something like 10 or 12 games on different pitches from 10am to the finals at 2pm, a beer garden should be great. I am hoping for some of that 25 degree weather we had out here on Monday, so that some of those "Quality" Birds will stick around.

hos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0