Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mojo 730 done?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The team 1040 is reporting that Mojo radio is changing formats and all the sports guys are done? Anyone? Didn't the Whitecaps just sign with them?

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
The team 1040 is reporting that Mojo radio is changing formats and all the sports guys are done? Anyone? Didn't the Whitecaps just sign with them?

Whitecaps did sign with them.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tell me this isn't a surprise to anyone. Really. It was only a matter of time once the Mother station lost the 'Nucks.

Caps are screwed potentially for this year...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Losing the 'Nucks sure must have hurt, but the arrival of TTP radio on the scene was the final nail in the coffin. Must have been...timing is all to coincidental.

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I talked to Brook Ward today and he said they basically went belly up and had no more doe.

Apparently the on show hosts had no idea they were in this much trouble and many of them took the news rather bad.

Apparently Moj went nuts......................

Total suprise and they all got their pink slips.

Ouch to say the least.

Big Daddy will be loving this one.

I did not like Blake Price but will miss the goofy Mckeatchy and his brilliant guests.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Goes to show that it can be a pretty brutal business that way. Especially w/ the Sports Talk format in this city, there really is only room for one. I seem to remember Uncle Brook being on the wrong end of a purge or two. Can't be fun.

I wonder which personalities may be moving over? Looks especially bad for Rick Daliwhal...one of the first guys on the scene at the TEAM, then leaves right when it seemed the TEAM couldn't be beat in the biggest time slot. Rumors about him not being able to handle Big Daddy.

Now, honestly, about the Caps...if they are completely out of options, is there any chance of InSync being able to broadcast live from Swanguard?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Caps were a previous INSINC client (2004 I think) when we streamed their video highlites.

I'm sure that there will be some contact in the following weeks but really, their issues are to appear 'mainstream' and have easy access to the market - home games are now on SHAW CABLE, so access there is not really an issue.

TEAM 1040 (also an INSINC client) I don't think have the room for the Caps in prime-time however I do remember rumblings a couple of months ago about THE TEAM perhaps providing 2 internet streams from their website when a conflict occurred between Lions & Whitecap games (this was before the Caps made the switch). I would imagine that the dual-stream set-up may still be in the works anyways due to Lions/Canuck conflicts in the fall.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Says in the paper this morning that 730 will continue to broadcast Giants, Whitecaps, and Mariners games.

Lots of quality on air talent there though. I wonder where they will all go.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the Canucks moving from NW980, why would the Giants stay there?!?!

There are no marketing 'perks' whatsoever for any sports franchise to stay under the 730 umbrella one would think - hell, I've heard that the Caps never really got any marketing plugs on that station in the first place, despite their games being aired live there.

I would like to see the TEAM shorten the Jim Rome segment and add some of the other talent in that slot - does anyone here honestly find any of the 'clones' amusing? Rome is OK but he loses big points from me since he apparently thinks his 'clones' are actually funny :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I suffer the idiocy of the clones for his guests. He has, bar none, the best guests in the business, and is the best interviewer. I wouldn't want it to be shortened.

Give Rick Ball a friend to work with, or give us a show in the late afternoon instead of recycling the Pratt & Taylor show.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Idiocy is a great erm for them, though I admit, one did give me a chuckle yesterday when he mentioned "Canadian Indoor Soccer on Ice on OLN" :D

Perhaps Brooke Ward should be looking over his shoulder (again)?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they get anyone back, they have to reel in the imitation guy, forgot his name, but the one that does the "Brother Brock" bit. Fcuk me man, that guy is money...

As for Brook...he has an odd style. I found it grew on me. Very much disliked him at first, but by the end came to appreciate his candor. Seems too that he doesn't play well with others, as he's always worked solo...but who knows, not I. Not sure if Moj would go back with his tail between his legs, but I've always liked his shows.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brooke Ward is money, but unfortunately for him he's like the ugly step sister at the Team. Next stop for him is 1:00am – 4:00am graveyard shift. Rick Ball is certainly good enough to have his own show, but that time slot he has now is the shits. The best he can do is regurgitate B-Mac’s stuff. I much prefered him when he was on the morning show only because the Sherminator bugs the hell out of me. The little radish always sounds like he reading his Q-cards and questions word for word.

I still stand firm Dan Patrick is the best show on radio followed by Jim Rome, but with Dan you need to have a bit of an appreciation for a little MLB chatter.(TTP radio has the ESPN link)I find it's well worth it so you can get to the likes of Reggie Millar, Mark Jackson, Charles Barkley, John Daly and other great sport personality he seems to bring in on a regular basis.

I can't see Mojo coming back to the Team or Daliwhal for that matter. They may pull in the likes of a Shane Foxman (loser) but that is about it. I hope seriously, that Magooch hangs them up.

Mojo is going to be an “All Traffic” format during drive time? That ought to have them tuning in, in droves. :rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I would like to see the TEAM shorten the Jim Rome segment and add some of the other talent in that slot - does anyone here honestly find any of the 'clones' amusing? Rome is OK but he loses big points from me since he apparently thinks his 'clones' are actually funny :rolleyes:
Hell, they could just add some of that talent...

...in to the long pauses...

...between his sentences.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was Arthur Griffiths on Mojo or 1040? I can't remember. I liked his show though so hopefully if he was on Mojo, 1040 will pick him up.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was Pratt's sidekick for about two days. He left Mojo, came to the team, was paired w/ Pratt for the hour or so before Taylor waltzed in, and then went back to Mojo.

Weird. Anyone know what happened there?

As for his current gig, think he actually left Mojo for another opportunity, can't recall what.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think he left to be CEO for a company that is in the same business as INSINC, ie, webcast services - it's the company that just got a lot of media attention with their "eagle cam"... he seems to be involved with quite a few rotten eggs lately :D

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I used to play fastball with Brook and he was a great team guy...I can't even imagine how dull the Whitecaps must sound with no video! How many ways can you describe having 8 guys behind the ball all day?

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't comment on the morning shows, but Rome and Pratt/Taylor are/were simply more entertaining. Rome took time to get used to and I rarely listen to his show for more than 30 minutes, but he is very amusing, he is very good at picking on stupid people/athletes. Pratt and Taylor simply work, Pratt the loud idiot and Taylor the realist. Marjonovic although the content was good was never all that entertaining. I liked Colin herd on MOJO from 9-10 and found his spanning the globe kind of cool.

Not sure how many read the second article this morning outside of the sports section, but there is an article in the money section expanding as much as you can for the average Province reader, but it shows the latest ratings. NW with a 15% share, Team at 1.4 and MOJO at 0.9. What does it take in the radio business to be profitable? Obviously NW is, as yes, hard to believe, there are more people who don't listen to sports related programming than do. Anybody have any idea?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts