Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLS Player salaries

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice find.

Certainly some interesting salaries. I would have thought the league minimum would be higher, especially for full time work, but there are plenty of guys making solid livings. Almost like a CFL structure.

Kevin Harmse: $72,000.00. I'd argue that is where a young guy of his caliber needs to be to consider this a worthwhile career.

If I'm in my early 20s, and in this league, I'd either have to have a realistic shot oversees with a chance to make a living, or pulling in a good $35K plus in order to say that this is a better option than pursuing a real career.

Good on them, though.

Wonder how this compares to, say, English 2nd division salaries?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tyler Rosenlund will be pulling in $17,700.00 to live the dream. Hope it happens for him.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I bet you anything the 17,700 is the "Rookie Cap"

you see young guys with heaps of potential (MLS Level anyways) making 17,700 a year for a year or two coming out of College or whatever, then looking to the Harse type of money...

Nice to see the better players ie Dwayne DeRosario making a good living...325,000 works out to roughly 9k a week for 9 months of the season...

You see players salaries in Europe referred to in euros or pounds a week...not per year, I wonder if these guys collect salariy checks twice a month for the full year or just during the season...

72k over 9 months is 8k a month...not bad for kicking a ball and never going to school and amassing student loan debt.

also keep in mind the tax structure is a lot different in the States than here...making 72k a year in the states might as well be 100+ here if you are a pro athlete and have the medical coverage and all that from them.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a short career. For $72K, you are making a good short term living, but you'd better have a back-up plan. That being said, he’s still young, and may be able to increase that value as one of the better Canadians on a Canadian squad.

At least at $325K you're in an earning range where you can invest a fair junk into real estate or something that will be there after the playing days, and give you an asset to convert later.

A cousin of mine spent 15 years playing hockey in Italy for 6 figures his entire career. Some years were better than others, but the point is that he was considered too small for the NHL. He did qualify for the Italian national team through heritage, and played 4 Olympics, and several international comps.

He is essentially a no name in the game, but he has a home in Italy, a home in Germany, and a home in Phoenix. Got to live the dream, and was paid well enough.

Point being, it may be the MLS, and it may be the ugly stepchild of the game, but if the chance is there to earn 6 figures for a few years, and you’re smart about it, that’s not a bad deal.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and having the MLS is good for soccer in North America north of Mexico, mexico is south american really isn't it?

anyways...You hear the stories after matches having pints of guys that went to Holland and went to Germany etc...they were offered a contract but it was for 500 Euro a week or whatever, and that didn't include a billett family or living costs, and they "came home because it was too expensive"

Having the USL and MLS is good for the next generation of kids that are not named Jacob Lensky, Jonathan DeGuzman etc...even if the rookie cap is 17,700 a year

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tyler Rosenlund will be pulling in $17,700.00 to live the dream. Hope it happens for him.

I bet any one of us on this site would be at an MLS team for that money or less, just to play the top soccer in North America, best of luck to Tyler.

hos

futbol

Jun 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
[QU

A cousin of mine spent 15 years playing hockey in Italy for 6 figures his entire career. Some years were better than others, but the point is that he was considered too small for the NHL. He did qualify for the Italian national team through heritage, and played 4 Olympics, and several international comps.

Is your cousin Jimmy C from North Burnaby?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think anyone would be for a couple years HOS, but would you now?

Long term, $17K per wouldn't cut it.

But, hell yes...he's a young guy w/ tallent, and now getting a shot. He'll do well, and be out of the bracket in no time.

And that's what it is all about...getting a chance, and those chances are few and far in between.

So...immagine if there were three Canadian MLS teams?

Dream, dreams...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 MLS teams in Canada?

Toronto, Montreal and ?

I heard from a source today (this is second hand info) that Kerfoot has asked Bobbaduzzi to go quiet on all matters stadium waterfront.

I have a theory that Kerfoot is in on the new BC Place roof stuff going on. Imagine a retractable roof design and a system to use natural grass when needed... expensive but if Kerfoot was willing to put so much dosh into a waterfront stadium, he could make this work.

If Vancouver is to get an MLS franchise, this is pretty much the only option I see.

It would also mean the team playing as soon as the Spring of 2010.

Thoughts?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dream, dreams...

Truthfully, till your post, I considered Waterfront dead and done.

Shame.

Your ruhmor sounds great, except that they'd still be playing in a cavern...unless the eventual redesign includes reducing seating to 40,000, and bringing the seats close to the playing field.

Anybody know anything about what the proposed renovations entail? i.e.: anything besides just the roof?

Regs...an MLS Team by 2010 would be great. Too bad that due to a bunch of welfare abusing NIMBYs, our great city will miss out on a world class facility on the water. That's a huge loss.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Colin Miller is off to establish a PCL team for next year. Owner is apparently throwing all kind off money at this. Intention behind this is that when Vancouver goes MLS that Victoria will become the USL franchise.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pat Onstad is certainly still doing well for himself in the league at 40 years of age........173 grand a season.........well done to the big man

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts