Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

March Madness 2002

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The University of Illinois Chicago Flames just qualified for the big dance, winning the Horizon League tourney. Yesterday, NC Wilmington(Colonial Conference), Gonzaga(West Coast Conference), Siena(Metro Atlantic Tourney winners despite supporting a 12-18 record), and Creighton(Missouri Valley Conference) all qualified for the big dance. Things are just starting to get exciting. Go Waves.....

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
12-18??

Guess we know who'll be ranked #64 going into the tourney. Siena's reward? A date with Kansas, Duke or Maryland, methinks.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am very sorry......

Actually UIatChicago's record is 16 - 18. That should make a big difference against Kansas, Duke, Maryland, Oklahoma, or get this GONZAGA. What do you think, Sensei? Kansas, Duke, and Maryland are definite number one seeds. Who will be the fourth? Cincy? Oklahoma? Gonzaga? Surely, it won't be Pittsburgh, Alabama, or Oregon. I love tournament time.....

Captain

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gonzaga should get it, but a weak RPI and the obvious (playing in a mid-major conference) will screw them in the end.

Give that 4th seed to Cincy. They're a dangerous side, and showed some grit in this week-end's win over Memphis, a game they probably should have lost. Steve Logan is a legit Wooden candidate. And Donald Little gives them an inside presence that most other top-4 pretenders don't have.

I'm going with Maryland this year. I don't think anybody can match the up-front presence of Wilcox and Baxter. And their guards (Mouton, Holden, Dixon and Blake) can match up with Duke's, Kansas' and certainly Gonzaga.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Orangemen out!

Syracuse just lost to Villanova.

I don't know how much that'll play into tourney selectors....'Cuse did drop 8 games down the stretch and a first-round exit from the post-season tourney aint good. Still, they'll go in with a 20-11 record. They should be okay.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here are some of the scores from today. Boston College won, which sets up an interesting matchup with overachievers Pitt in the next round. I called this as my silent sleeper when the tourney draw first came out. I just never told any of you about it. Seriously. Anyways, Go Troy Bell Go.

Rutgers 55 Final
Boston College 60
Box Score

George Washington 62 Final
Massachusetts 73
Box Score

TCU 86 Final
Louisville 110
Box Score

Morgan St. 70 Final
Hampton 93
Box Score

Rhode Island 71 Final
Dayton 90
Box Score

Providence 67 Final
Georgetown 68
Box Score

East Carolina 49 Final
Houston 58
Box Score

Fordham 63 Final
La Salle 83
Box Score

Villanova 78 Final
Syracuse 64

UAB 62 Final
South Florida 65

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For Burnsie....

Here is a picture of WAC MVP, Second-Team All American and Sensei's favourite white-donkey PG, Dan Dickau. He's the one who torched Burnsie's Waves in the WAC tourney final (oh yeah, he won MVP of that one, too). Is 96-90 a torching? I don't even know anymore. I do know that Dickau has surpassed every PG in the nation, save Juan Dixon and Jason Williams. Maybe the Sonics can draft this kid and keep him local.

Jumping on the bandwagon at the right time,
-Sensei.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here are the teams already in......

Of the teams that have qualified already, there are only a few teams that might make some noise, or cause at least one upset.

2002 NCAA Men's Tournament Berths

The following are the 27 schools that have earned bids to the
2002 NCAA men's college basketball tournament:

TEAM HOW QUALIFIED CONFERENCE DATE
---- ------------- ---------- ----
SANTA BARBARA (20-10) WON TOURNAMENT BIG WEST 3/9
SAN DIEGO ST (21-11) WON TOURNAMENT MOUNTAIN WEST 3/9
HAWAII (27-5) WON TOURNAMENT WESTERN ATHLETIC 3/9
CONNECTICUT (24-6) WON TOURNAMENT BIG EAST 3/9
PENNSYLVANIA (25-6) WON PLAYOFF IVY LEAGUE 3/9
ALCORN ST (20-9) WON TOURNAMENT SOUTHWESTERN 3/9
KENT ST (27-6) WON TOURNAMENT MID-AMERICAN 3/9
ARIZONA (22-9) WON TOURNAMENT PACIFIC 10 3/9
XAVIER (25-5) WON TOURNAMENT ATLANTIC 10 3/9
HAMPTON (26-6) WON TOURNAMENT MID-EASTERN 3/9
MONTANA (16-14) WON TOURNAMENT BIG SKY 3/9
MCNEESE ST (21-8) WON TOURNAMENT SOUTHLAND 3/9
CINCINNATI (30-3) WON TOURNAMENT CONFERENCE USA 3/9
BOSTON UNIVERSITY (22-9) WON TOURNAMENT AMERICA EAST 3/9
HOLY CROSS (18-14) WON TOURNAMENT PATRIOT LEAGUE 3/8
CENTRAL CONN (27-4) WON TOURNAMENT NORTHEAST 3/6
VALPARAISO (25-7) WON TOURNAMENT MID CONTINENT 3/5
WESTERN KENTUCKY (27-3) WON TOURNAMENT SUN BELT 3/5
ILLINOIS CHICAGO (20-13) WON TOURNAMENT HORIZON 3/5
GONZAGA (29-3) WON TOURNAMENT WEST COAST 3/4
CREIGHTON (22-8) WON TOURNAMENT MISSOURI VALLEY 3/4
SIENA (16-18) WON TOURNAMENT METRO ATLANTIC 3/4
NC-WILMINGTON (22-9) WON TOURNAMENT COLONIAL 3/4
DAVIDSON (21-9) WON TOURNAMENT SOUTHERN 3/3
FLORIDA ATL (19-11) WON TOURNAMENT ATLANTIC SUN 3/2
MURRAY ST (19-12) WON TOURNAMENT OHIO VALLLEY 3/2
WINTHROP (19-11) WON TOURNAMENT BIG SOUTH 3/2

Cincy, Gonzaga, and Arizona will go at least 2 rounds.

I like Creighton, Hawaii, San Diego State, and Kent State to make life VERY difficult for their first round opponents, with two of them causing upsets.........

The worst teams here are obviously teams in awful conferences with awful records. However, they have obviously peaked at the right time(conference tourney) and will be very happy to in the big show.

Tomorrow at 3:00, the rest of the spots will be filled.........

I was very impressed with USC in the first half against Arizona today. They were playing a pressure defense that was very similar to Rick Pitino's Kentucky days. However, I think they ran out of steam in the second half, which consequently cost them the game........They have some scorers too and will be a tough team for anyone to get by in the tourney........

On a sad note, Ball State did not make tourney......:( and hopefully my new favourite team Pepperdine will get an at-large bid tomorrow, but I highly doubt it......

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh well......

I guess I will just have to win the NCAA Pool within my classroom. A lot of these kids know very little about college basketball, much like Bigun and most other TTPers, so I have a great chance to win........

Captain who is mildly disappointed there is no March Madness pool but understands that there are currently too many on the go.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Class Pool

Is that pool open to others, say those who from time to time enjoy a refreshment in the bistro? What could be better than taking toonies from 12 year olds eh captain? If only the french immersion teachers were so clever.

Clark Kellog(g?) on CBS today has Pepperdine as on the bubble, SI mentioned that they have a shot. They did beat Gonzaga earlier in the year, guess you'll know shortly.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Dart,

The pool/Bistro is always open to the Sweeney boys. As for the Bistro, there could be a bit of a problem. We might have our big promotion match that has been postponed for 4 months now, on Saturday. If so, the Bistro will be open for just an hour or two's worth of business, and the host will be drinking Club Soda. That is okay because I can make up for it on Saturday/Sunday.

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Already a surprise......

The number one seeds are Duke(South), Kansas(Midwest), Maryland(East), and Cincinnati (West).

Oklahoma beat Kansas today to win the Big 12 tourney and they don't get a number one seed, despite being ranked number 4 in the country? Hmmmmm, hopefully there aren't too many surprises with the at-large bids.

Go Pepperdine!

Captain

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shows that these post-season tournaments don't count for shite and should be abolished.

Kansas did the business during a gruelling regular season. Why make them play a tournament to re-affirm all the good things they did in Conference play? Kansas ran the bloody table in the Big 12, becoming the first school in Conference history to go undefeated in seasonal play. I think if you give conference foes enough shots at them, they were likely to fall eventually.

I thought Maryland's loss to NC State might have fcuked them and opened the door for Oklahoma....I figured Cincy was in after whipping Marquette, landing a 30-win season in the process. It could have easily been Oklahoma, Duke, Cincy and Kansas...but its highly unlikely that two number one seeds would come out of the Big 12. That's for the ACC (and, not counting this season, the Big 10).

I still think Maryland will take it all. Gonzaga will fizzle early, unable to handle the switch from being an underdog, to being a favourite.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

As for the favorite role, a 6 seed is hardly a favorite. I don't know if you saw the footage, but they were choked with their seeding at Gonzaga. They might be pretty motivated at being shunned. But I agree, they will be hard-pressed to get by the second round(probably Arizona)................

How the hell can Georgia be a 3 seed? There were some surprising selections but there are also some great first round match-ups.......

Pepperdine will beat Wake Forest and upset Oregon in round two. :rolleyes:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't see the actual draw before my last post. I had no idea Gonzaga got ripped off like that...I have no idea how they justifed putting them in the 21-24 ranking, nationally. It does make for an enticing second-rounder with Arizona, assuming both go through. Other things I noticed:

I don't think Cincy is looking forward to facing UCLA in the second round. The Bruins are waaay too talented a team to end up with an 8 seed. Huggins really got the shaft on this one...UCLA has knocked off the likes of Kansas, USC, Arizona and Oregon this season.

Duke has an exceptionally easy bracket. They might have to face USC in the sweet 16, which could see Sam Clancy test Boozer inside. But that's about it until (if) they face Alabama.

Bobby Knight and Texas Tech could see some success with the fact that Georgia got the #3 like you mentioned. I could see them as a sweet 16 team. Georgia at 3 is bizarre - they did beat Kentucky twice and Florida once during seasonal play though.

Maryland should get through, but you can't fancy having to face slow-it-down Wisconsin in the second round. With the uptempo game Mouton, Blake and Dixon like to play, this could prove a problem.

Stanford vs. Western Kentucky will be a great first-rounder. You've got Casey Jacobsen vs. Chris Marcus in the battle of the one-man teams.

I like Pepperdine's slot in the Midwest. Oregon have been overachieving all year and flopped in the Pac-10 tourney. I think the Waves come in as a bit of an unknown given the fact that most of the WAC attention goes to 'Zaga. Could be interesting.

No Memphis? That one is puzzling. I thought they'd be in for sure.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
and one more thing...

What the hell was the selection committee doing stacking the West bracket? Cincy, Gonzaga, Arizona, Xavier, Oklahoma and Ohio State are all in the middle of this one...I'd consider Oklahoma, Cincy and 'Zona all legitimate final four contenders. shite, Oklahoma just knocked off #1 Kansas.

Odd.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The West is the Bracket of Death....

The West is brutal. As you said, there are several legitimate threats. As for UCLA, I heard Clarke Kellogg say today that on a good day, UCLA plays like a number 1 or 2 seed and on a bad day, they play like a 12 or 13 seed so the 8 seed is justifiable. I think they will get through the first round but will lose a tight one in the second round....

The Bruins are waaay too talented a team to end up with an 8 seed. Huggins really got the shaft on this one...UCLA has knocked off the likes of Kansas, USC, Arizona and Oregon this season.

They have also lost to Ball State, Arizona State, Villanova, and have actually lost to Oregon twice, including a 29 point loss in their first meeting. California beat them twice including an 18 point thumping. So the jury is out on UCLA. It depends which team decides to show up......

Pepperdine will be my dark horse this year. Go Waves......

Captain

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts