Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Legalizing Marijuana

Should Canada Legalize Mary J?

• Yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Who cares- Dude's cooked, no matter what he says.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, the Senate is recommending the legalization of Mary J.

I thought it would be interesting to see what people think, so I'll kick this off.

I'm a non-user of "illegal" drugs- a never has used, actually. I personally have just never bothered...probably because I don't smoke, and have never wanted to try a joint when everyone else around me was lighting up. (I know Guinness- maybe I should be lighting up...it'd mellow me out, right?).

That said, I've never really had a problem with it. I compare it to alcohol use, and I think one can damage himself / herself far more through excessive abuse of booze.

I've discussed this extensively with the missus, who's morality is always a little better in check than mine (through religious beliefs), and was surprised we actually both agree that there are more benefits to legalizing than prohibition. The "benefits" of legalizing outweigh the benefits of prohibition.

It also makes sense from the standpoint that it could be a huge revenue generator, and drastically reduce the costs to our police& legal departments, who are constantly chasing down offenders, only to have then get-off with barely a slap on the wrist.

What doe everyone else think?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoa, Dude...

Bang on!!!
(I know Guinness- maybe I should be lighting up...it'd mellow me out, right?).
Actually, I couldn't have said it any better myself...;) I could hook you up with a few pulls before each match... It'd definately sort out your psychotic rages on the park!!!:eek:

In all seriousness, why the hell not legalise the shiznit??? Tax dollars for the Feds and more accessability for the average Joe Schmoe... Besides it may help regulate it from the likes of 12 year olds that skip class to get stoned (not that I ever did that):rolleyes: It could take it from the under ground scum that usually are associated with "the green" and pass it (possibly) into the hands of those who are selling/smoking for relaxation and social purposes, rather than paying the drug money towards some criminal rings!!!

A lovely day in Newton:

Guinness: "Dude, relax grab a joint"
Dude: "Fcuk off ya wee bastard"
Guinness: "Fine then mate, have it your way, I'm gonne' chill"
Dude: "You're dead man, I'm going through you"
Guinness: "Whhhat???"
Dude: "Your mine buddy, toast"
Guinness: "Huh???"
Dude: "I'm gonna freaking screw you up boy"
Guinness: "Did you say you wanted a huff???"
Dude: (Screaming at the top of his lungs by now)"Ffffcukkk U!!!"
Guinness: "Fine then, I'll keep the rest for myself, Chill Out Dude"
Dude: (Wigs out next time Guinness has the ball)
Guinness: (hobbles off the park and grabs a pint & a J)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
H.O.S., better days to come

Finally, a perfect use for this dancing banana:wa: :eek:

So the question is... "Is there going to be an age limit like on alcohol? (This will be a problem for Guinny)

OR "Is the govnmt' going to try to monopolize such a market?":rolleyes:

SCknowsnoothercountrieshaveproblemswithillegaldrugs ;)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

You're way off base with your post. I'd never, and I mean everrrrrrr, use the words "ya wee" preceeding "bastard".

SC- I've read that the age limit could be as low as 16. To me, it makes sense to make the age limit the same as the drinking and smoking laws, whatever they may be in whatever Province. Of course, the government will try to monopolize it. If they aren't...

DUDE'S GROW-OP, OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

BTW- who has voted "No"? It'd be cool to see some oposing views...

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I voted no. I don't smoke it but to be honest, I don't care if others do. I'm just against legalizing it. Here are a few of my reasons. Watch out because I'm getting up on my soapbox (and yes, before anyone can say it... it will have to be a pretty big soapbox to see you Jones. :rolleyes: )

My first concern comes as a parent of two kids - one child that is carefree and reckless by nature and potentially trouble ahead.

Young people find it thrilling to try something new and daring and after alcohol becomes readily available they move on to the next THING. Most ventured to marijuana which is the "less of the evils" out there which I feel has a sense of adventure because it's illegal and notoriety of not being as addictive as the others. Although I would rather have my kids not try it, in reality I feel more comforted that if they were to move on in this progression of illegal activity that they would move to marijuana rather than the others. With the rise of heroine and coke as the next drugs kids get into, my concerned with legalization is that marijuana would carry the same stature as alcohol and that kids will move on to more addictive drugs - that leads to my next reason.

My second reason is as follows:

With all the education and advice that people are inundated with today, I don't care what anyone does in there spare time or how they treat their bodies - as long as I don't have to pay for it in my tax dollars! With cut back in education and such to pay for rising healthcare I find it frustrating to hear that people (like Man U's beloved George Best) that abuse their organs are getting liver transplants ahead of others who don't. That goes for someone who abuses their lungs through smoking cigarettes or marijuana, abuses their brain cells through excess drug use or sexual transmitted diseases through unprotected sex.

The last thing I want is for something else to be legalized that the government will now have to take responsibility for because others can't moderate their "enjoyment". An argument for that is that they already are but that doesn't mean they should continue to do so.

My last reason is because I don't buy the argument that it's not addictive. I use to work at an old job with a member of a notorious organized motorcycle gang who sold the stuff by the garbage bag full. Around the shop, we use to discuss these things and he always said, "Of course it's addictive. It's psychologically addictive. Why do you think my customers come back again and again. It's easy math." He also doesn't want it legalized because he says that it one of the biggest moneymakers for illegal organizations. If it's legalized these organizations will have to move on to other ways of making money. Extortion is one of the alternatives. When buying drugs, one is making a choice. With extortion, you have no choice.

When they abolished prohibition back in the 20's or 30's they said that the money that they make from legalizing alcohol would cover every need possible. Now the Senate is saying the same thing with marijuana.

Didn't Alaska do that 2 or 3 years ago and have gone back to making marijuana illegal. One reason was the increase in population of people who refused to work and were collecting Unemployment Insurance because they were too stoned to work. Just what Canada needs!:rolleyes:

If we go down this route I would rather have the attitude that Britain has. Grow it (one plant per household in the basement) for personal enjoyment and the authorities tend to look the other way.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of course it's addictive. It's psychologically addictive. Why do you think my customers come back again and again. It's easy math.

I don't buy the "it isn't addictive" argument either. I actually know this to be factual: I have a close family member who spent years and lots of $$$ trying to kick the his marijuana habit, including two separate one month stays at Hazelton Rehab Centre in Minnesota. His addiction was directly tied to alcoholism- if he wasn't doing one, he was doing the other- and the adverse affects were equally damaging to his personal life. He needed to be treated for both.

Anyhow, good arguments. I do have some counter points, but am busy trying to finish some work now. maybe later!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Legalize it!
It will not hurt anyone!

It is not a gateway drug, maybe for some weak kid with a weak mentality that follows the crowd. I have been smokin weed for 8 years or so and never became addicted and never had the urge to do other (badder) drugs.(I could go months or so without in those 8 years too)

On your kids part, it will be up to him, mentally, if he wanted to move on and do harder drugs. Someone sitting there who smokes a joint won't say " THIS AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH- I NEED HARDER " unless they are surrounded by it. (usually your thinkin, I need some munchies then a nap)

I strongly beleive it is who you hang with to. If the guys he is hanging out with is getting in to harder drugs, if he does not have strong morals, then be worried. But I know MANY people who have some drinks, smoke a joint and then stop the drug chain there ,, because they have a head on there shoulders and know what they are doing.

I personally rather my family members smoke one here and there rather then drink a lot.

I have never heard of someone o.d. on weed, never have they got in an accident for smokin' and drivin'. Never have they became violent over some smoke, never have they come home smoked out and dinner is not ready and start hittin there wives because of it. Never had a bunch of guys all high on weed start the club fight because a guy stepped on there shoe.

Drunk guy in club " whatch where your going punk!"
Stoned guy in club" no problem bro!, you smoke?"

you catch it!
it the kid wants to be an idiot and move on to the harders, then don't blame drinks/weed, blame his weak mind.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's an idea...

Legalize the the growth/manufacturing and production of it. Then let the government tax the crap out it. Here's the kicker. It can only be exported out of BC as use and possession would remain illegal. Take all those lovely tax dollars and plow them into the Olympic bid. Simple really.:wa: :knvb: :bronco:

BTW...I voted no. I was a cop for too long and saw too much degredation, broken families, and other tales of woh that were drug related...and it really didn't matter what drug and that includes booze...

I'd legalize prostitution way before pot.

Another...It'll never happen anyway, simply coz it would be political suicide for the govt bringing in the legislation.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Marijuana and Guinness

I liked the guy on the radio this morning who said it should be decriminalized for all his business competitors. All the others who called in to support legalizing appeared to be jobless types with little else to do.

Iknow, I know - if you look what it has done for Guinness, everyone would say it should be legalized.

Decriminalize simple possession but not legalize it.:knvb: :wa:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK. I've played the devil's advocate now.

DJ makes some very points actually.

Point 1 is a big concern in Holland.
That, and them trying to break ties with KNVB as a proported national of The Netherlands. :D
I agree, it is kind of embarrassing for such a cool country. :knvb:
They are reporting increases in hard drug use and the country is theorizing it is a result of their leniency on soft drugs.

Point 2 also would be along the same lines as to how much tobacco use costs our medicare system.
Marijuana would probably be up there in increased healthcare costs.

I agree with Reccos actually, it should be decriminalized at least.

The fact that alcohol and tobacco are legal makes it kind of stupid that pot isn't.
However, three wrongs don't make a right.

I voted "yes" but after these posts I wish to state I'm for decriminalization not neccessarily legalization.

RF

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
three wrongs don't make a right.

R, are you calling alcohol wrong?

You must be one of those Amish Scotsmen.:rolleyes:

BTW, Canada can't decriminalize pot at the moment. We are signatories of far too many international drug enforcement treaties. All they are talking about is abolishing the criminal records that accompany simple possession.

Some say no to drugs and take a stand.

but after the show they go lookin' for tha dope man!

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Gaffa is speaking sense......

Legalize prostitution? I thought it was legal already...well, that's what Madame Cleo said anyways.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
J, Bucktooth,

Nothing wrong with booze from my own point of view, but you can't say that it hasn't ruined many lives, careers etc. Georgie boy could be regarded as a prime example. Its like anything in life...moderation I spose.

Bucky...sorry to the gers wwearing cheap ass diadora. Youre actually quite right I believe. Prostitution is legal...solicitation is illegal aspect. Fancy an ex vice man getting that wrong. Terrible stuff. I stand corrected, I believe. Thank you.

Moderatelygaffa.

The Teacher

May 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
An interesting point

While the senate has made this monumental ruling now, I think it was a long time coming. However, if pot is to be fully legalized, one must question a few things:

An interesting point - while one is not allowed to smoke legally until 18? 19?, rumor has it that the "pot" smoking age would be at 16. Is this because nicotine is "addictive" and therefore a younger person would be more responsible with marijuana than with cigarettes? Is it that pot is less "harmful" to one?

How "Legal" is pot? Is this to say one can buy it in a cafe (as in Amsterdam), over the counter at a drugstore, or on the shelves of your local safeway.

It will be interesting to see how this will be played out.
I do know that upon its legalization, the corner store business will boom, and there will probably be a lot less speeding out there.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy

Nice book/report on your two bits... Although I agree with alot you have posted, I don't believe everyone (or most people for that matter) look for the harder drug once they have flurted with weed or alcohol... Alcohol is one of the worst abused drugs in all society and has been accepted the longest...
However, just because a youngster down's a few bottles of beer does not mean the next week they are looking for a bottle of wine or Scotch and so on... Yeh teens like the adventure of the unknown and more importantly the rush that comes along with trying something their peers accept...
BUT not all decide to use crack or any other hardcore substance just because the mary jane is old news!!! Addictive or not is in one's personal opinion, but one does not always lead to the other...
I enjoy the odd joint to this day, but I am not a pothead nor an avocate for drugs period... Everyone has a choice to make in regards to what they deem exceptable and not... I guess I was one of the smarter kids that didn't just go with the flow and try everything available... So Jonesy your children will chose which way to go regardless of what you think and preech to them...

Good Luck, Guinness

Thedecriminalizationofweedseemslikethebestavenue:wa:

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
interesting...

...those in support seem to be people without kids. Those of us with the 'lil tikes seem to be against...natural reaction of a parent I guess.

Another thing...I can't stand the bloody smell of the stuff personally and simply for that reason alone I wouldn't legalize it!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts