Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Launch Rumours

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just want to see the local talent get a sniff. That's what the team should be about. A few players from the VMSL and FVSL can make a jump. I do not want to see TWUs college team in it. Shat, I cant even watch their regular games. Each college team has a few good players but the rest fall into div.1 category. They need good young players that are used to the men's game already.
That bugs me, too.

The concept should be the better University players, yes. But you and I both know, the younger, less experienced uni kids generally get eaten alive once they graduate into mens. Typically a good starting roster, yes, would be competitive in Men's premier....but a good starting roster includes some older players. So, if this Langley team is a thing, there is no way it should be closed shop only to TWO. They should be grabbing the best, unattached kids from the region, university affiliation or not. Yes, I agree with focusing on U23, but the "Professional" exception could and should be used for up to 25 year olds who are of that quality who have fallen through the cracks.

I don't see a point of having a summer TWU team. Those players all already have their league, where they get scouted and exposure for the CPL draft. Besides, if done right, a summer version of TWO should be an uncompetitive squad, if that's their direction.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's going to be a lot more difficult for them to find talent with 7 teams in BC competing at their level, as opposed to before when it was just them and Highlanders.

If they are relying purely on players "coming home to live in mom's basement because it's free and she cooks for me" as Willie exclaimed in that interview, I am worried about the quality of this league.
....yeah, but the nature of competition means that sooner than later they'll have to draw from local talent that have not pursued the university route. As you say, 7 teams, so really it should skim the cream from the top of the mens leagues. Will have to.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The main issue I have is how it seems the league has jumped into bed w/ the FVSL, and what is happening w/ that Premier division, which I wholeheartedly disagree with. Anyways, that's another thread....

I don't think L1BC has done any such thing. I think a few enterprising individuals who really want to be associated with the new league have bent over backwards to have FVSL accommodate teams that will be affiliated with L1BC

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So it's glaringly obvious with a couple of the franchises that they have people in leadership *cough*money men*cough* who have kids playing in the respective programs behind the entry.

Will be interesting to see in a few years when those kids inevitably move on, whether the financial support dries up...

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Totally agree Dezza. I have no idea why these academy teams are being handed the final phase of the development and transition for some players to professional. Mind-boggling and I am too concerned about how our standard will compare to League 1 in Ontario. And hopefully, we will get to see a game between the 2 leagues in season one.

TWU I hope bring some local players into the fold. I also see TWU as the only team that will make money and have a decent crowd out to their home games.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
As far as I know the only cross league play would occur in the Voyageurs Cup (Canadian Championship). However, I have yet to see confirmation that L1BC will earn an entry into that competition.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saying I want to see a discussion and comparison on the standard of the 2 leagues...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would suggest a more fair comparison would be L1BC to the early years of L1O as opposed to the current standard of that league

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know about that. They drew from a lot of local men's leagues. I think the academy teams have pigeonholed themselves especially with the support they are now looking for from the parents of the kids in the academy. Again, I just want to see how the first season unfolds.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know about that. They drew from a lot of local men's leagues. I think the academy teams have pigeonholed themselves especially with the support they are now looking for from the parents of the kids in the academy. Again, I just want to see how the first season unfolds.
We've seen the act already. Although I fully support the idea of developing 23 and under, if these teams don't have a few older guys (let's say, the spine of a team, so 3-4 vets), they would be walked against established VMSL squads. If the whole league is a league of kids mostly in early 20's, it simply won't be "hard" enough.

As to L1BC vs. L1O, can't see it being a comparison right away, we are literally 10 years behind, but maybe you fast track inside 5 years. We still do have a lot of talent out here, that's never changed.

@YoAdrian - pipe in here wee hobbit.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For sure, they have established teams like Oakville and Azzurri, but they also have a good number of academy entries.

I guess the question for L1BC is did they shun the established local clubs, or were those clubs simply not interested, leaving the league no choice except the path they've taken?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For sure, they have established teams like Oakville and Azzurri, but they also have a good number of academy entries.

I guess the question for L1BC is did they shun the established local clubs, or were those clubs simply not interested, leaving the league no choice except the path they've taken?
I know Surrey United looked at the RFP very closely at the time in 2018, and the question was about the investment level, and if the investment was in the best interest of the membership at large. So, from that standpoint I know it was given very close consideration, but no idea where / how the discussion proceeded from there. We know the end results, which was ultimately to decline on participation.

I wonder how many other big clubs looked closely. I'd have to assume Metro Ford at the very least.....and CCB always seems to want to stick a finger in.

YoAdrian

Sep 26, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
My personal opinion….

L1BC needs to replace vmsl,fvsl,visl as THE top amateur league in B.C. and run during the normal winter league season. The best players within the province should be playing amongst each team regardless of age, pedigree etc. THAT is where true development begins, pitting the best against the best, not nurturing chicken shite 17 year olds with “potential” against each other. Look, you either have “it” to play top tier at 17 or you don’t, sink or swim, develope as you may, but you only get to play top tier footy when you are ready for it.

To be honest, I love what L1 Ontario has done, I believe 6 current CMNT have played in L1 Ontario and there’s no reason why B.C. shouldn’t play apart in that as well.

Private pay to play academies are great and can solve short term spots, but at the end of the day unless you’ve been established for developing players for 20+ years like TSS has (kudos) then it falls by the wayside and the facade gets found out pretty quick. Even the UNI route of being behind these initial L1BC teams is whack. TWU can’t make playoffs, tie 6th place Surrey united and get humped 4-1 by tigers in fvsl play, but get a L1BC squad? Development is one thing, but community interaction is another, who the fcuk is gonna want to go and watch sub par footy week in week out to see a shite u23 squad get pumped. Community interaction and creating a true football atmosphere like you see in many of the lower European leagues is what Spurs and kicks on development.

Have ticket sales, team merch, meet n greets, beer gardens, etc at games. Hell, a squad I used to play for in Slovenia just fcuking beat Tottenham hotspur.

And guess what, THEY DONT HAVE A U23 SQUAD.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts