Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

JayHawks vs UBC!?!?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy crap!!!!!! How the hell does this shite not get advertised? (Well it did but this is the first I've heard of it) Kansas is in town with it looks like UNLV. Saturday at noon vs UBC then UBC plays UNLV Sunday.

Sensei are you heading out to any of these? There are a few other games on the card at Simon Fraser and MEI.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw the ads last week in the paper.

But it was for the games against Langara - I remember one of them being scheduled to be played at Cap College... don't remember the dates though.

~Regs.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just happend to pick up the paper today and saw it. All the dates and times are there. No radio or TV coverage eh? I guess since it's not hockey no one would be interested. :rolleyes:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Straight off the UBC Sports webpage

UBC set to face NCAA power Kansas

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

VANCOUVER -- The 2004-05 UBC men’s basketball team is about to play the toughest game in program history.

This coming Saturday, Sept. 4, at 12 p.m., the Kansas Jayhawks, perennial NCAA powerhouse and a serious national championship contender, pay a visit to War Memorial Gymnasium. UBC will be the first team, and only CIS team that Kansas faces on this trip.

The Jayhawks, who scrimmaged in front of a sold-out crowd at the Horejsi Family Athletics Centre on Saturday, arrive in Vancouver on Friday night.

Saturday’s UBC/Kansas game will be broadcast on the video board before the KU football opener at Memorial Stadium and is expected to draw a huge crowd. The game will also be broadcast on ESPN Regional/Jayhawks Radio Network and can be found at www.kuathletics.com.

Last season, the T-Birds faced Division 1 competition for the first time since 1946, going 0-3 against Creighton, Southern Methodist and Oral Roberts. But facing Kansas will be a different story.

With four returning starters – including three seniors – a national player of the year candidate in Big 12 leading scorer and rebounder Wayne Simien, and three potential NBA picks, the Jayhawks expect to advance beyond their Elite Eight finish of a season ago.

“When you talk about the elite classes in Kansas history, this year’s seniors would have to rank among the best,” said KU head coach Bill Self.

Aside from Simien, the Jayhawks also return senior guards Aaron Miles and Keith Langford, as well as Big 12 All-Freshman forward J.R. Giddens, one of the most exciting young players in the NCAA. Langford and Simien were recently selected to the John R. Wooden Award Preseason All-America Team.

“This is an amazing opportunity for our program,” said Hanson. “Our guys are so pumped up to be playing against one of the truly great teams in the NCAA and are really looking forward to the challenge. Whatever the result, it’s going to be a great showcase for local basketball fans and it’s going to inject some early excitement into our season.”

The two-time defending Pacific Division champion T-Birds return four starters from last season, including Canada West all-stars Casey Archibald of Salmon Arm and Karlo Villanueva of Richmond.

Close to 1,000 tickets have been pre-sold for the Kansas game, about one-third of War Memorial Gym’s capacity. Tickets for all Labour Day NCAA games can be purchased in advance by calling 604-822-6084.

Labour Day Weekend Basketball Schedule
Sat, Sept. 4 / Men vs. Kansas / 12:00 p.m.
Sat, Sept. 4 / Women vs. Texas / 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Sept. 5 / Women vs. Texas / 4:00 p.m.
Sun, Sept. 5 / Men vs. UNLV / 7:00 p.m.

Men’s Ticket Prices
$15, Adult
$10, Youth, senior, visiting student
$5, UBC student

Women’s Ticket Prices
$10, Adult
$4, Youth, senior, visiting student
$2, UBC students

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think i'm going to head up to the hill to take in the games..... www2.sfu.ca/athletics/ for the game times.....

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB,

There is a chance I'll head out to War Memorial on Sunday to see UBC vs. UNLV. The biggest kicker is that Kansas is playing nine minutes away from my place on Monday, but I'm stuck at work and unable to go to school to see them play. I hate my job.

I've known about these games for over a month now but didn't think to post anything here. The rumblings I've heard are that SFU are going to pick up some ex-Clansmen (Pete Gurasci, Novell Thomas, etc) for their game. SFU just saw about half their roster leave before the season started, so I'm guessing the ringers are simply to make sure the score doesn't get too embarassing. I think that's why the UBC presser says they are the only CIS team to play Kansas this trip....SFU will actually be called the "Burnaby Mountain All-Stars".

As far as Kansas goes, I've read on espn.com that Self will actually play a lot of his starters, because he needs to figure out which freshmen will be most comfortable in the rotation alongside guys like Simien, Miles, Langford and Giddens.

Langara was going to play Kansas at their gym/bandbox on campus, but when they realized it fits about 65 people (standing room only) they moved all the games out. War Memorial is a fantastic place to watch basketball so I think that was a wise move.

I also know that Douglas is going to play Georgia later in October. All of these trips stem from a type of loophole in the NCAA regulations which doesn't allow full-fledged practices and scrimmages before a certain date, but does allow "trips" of this nature where coaches can take teams on exhibitions (I think it was supposed to be a sign of goodwill). There are about 15 really good NCAA programs coming to Canada this fall to play against CIS teams. I know Pitt and a host of others are going to Toronto.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts