Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it a Sport?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough is enough.

Yesterday, Canada won a Silver at the Commonwealth games in Women’s Lawn Boling. Yes, Lawn Bowling. Kind of like curling, but on grass. Or even bowling…on grass.

This leads me to the topic of this thread: what is currently classified as sport, but shouldn’t be? In my opinion, to be classified as a “sport”, the sport has to encompass the following elements, in some significant aspect: skill, speed, endurance, strength, and strategy.

Therefore, it infuriates me that these pastimes are classified as “Sport”:

· Curling
· Bowling
· Lawn Bowling
· Skeet shooting
· Archery (unless it involves actually hunting down a moving target)
· Golf
· Sailing
· Darts (sorry, Captain…love yah man!)

It embarrasses me that Canada dominates “sports” like curling and lawn bowling at these major events. Maybe we should include these events in a new competition, like the “Couch Potato Games”, or the “Busted-up and Retired Athletes Who Still Need to Compete at Something Games” (lord knows I’ll be joining this group in 1-2 years).

As our friendly neighborhood Nazi moderator TheRob would say (love you too TR), discuss!

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lawn Bowling

I believe that all the characteristics you described as being a sport can be found in Lawn Bowling. Just watch.

Skill: The balls aren't totally round so the bowler has to play different angles. (It's all about angles)

Speed: A tough one. How about being able to finish the game before the opponents die? This could definetly be an issue during games played on hot days.

Endurance: See above about games played on hot days.

Strength: Those balls are heavy.

Strategy: Come on, the strategy involved in getting one's black ball closer to the little white ball than the other team can be daunting to say the least.

There you have it, lawn bowling is officially a sport. Go Canada.

Home Brew

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
darts

why isn`t darts an official sport at the commonwealth games?If it was Double IN AND Tilly would not be allowed in.Neither are colionals unless knvb took out Mozambique citizenship. Sidewinder.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the reaction I was looking for. Frankly, I was hoping to piss some people off.

I'll add Cricket & Field Hockey to the list...that otta piss a few Aussies and Euros off!!!

Dude- whoknowscricketandfieldhockeyaresports,hejusthinksthey'regay.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Darts should be an Olympic sport. The precision of the pro dart players is amazing. There are so many things that can go wrong in every throw.....

1)Your flight could be broke(or someone might put glue on them)
2)The dart might touch your face
3)Your finger might slip
4)You might lose your balance before you throw
5)You might be cross-eyed
6)A lady with big nuggets could be serving you drinks while you are shooting
7)You have diddled with too many middles in your time
8)You might be stuck playing against someone who throws for 18s instead of 20s
9)You can throw all three darts and NOT stick any in the board
10)An opponent might have Union Jack flights or even worse, pink flights

So you can see, why darts should be a sport. You need to be at the top of your game ALL the time or you will see yourself plummet out of the rankings(see Double In, Sidewinder).

Darts is a sport and that is all there is to it. As for the rest of the 'sports(except golf), I couldn't agree more, Dude.

Captain Tilly

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk...how did this become a "Darts" thread? Ironic...;)

Golf: no way. It just so happens that an athlete is dominating golf right now. I don't think Golf encompases enough of the elements to be labelled a sport. That said, the skill & strategy elements are HUGE.

Yours till the big nose blows.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 6th Element

You forgot the 6th element: sweat.

And, no, it can't be caused by solar radiation (lawn bowling), stress (darts), walking (golf), or from general obesity (bowling and darts). Dude, I almost agree with you completely, but sailing is on the cusp.

Darts are for fat people and the English -- often both.

Home Brew

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fat is good.

How about all those fat Olympians? Especially those drugged up weight lifters and wrestlers?

Captain ,you forgot the other hazards of dart playing like getting a rebounding dart in your toe[more dangerous than a javellin]or getting a pool cue from an adjacent table stuck up your arse.

Darts is not just a game for English gentlemen but is also played by daft DUTCHMEN [even if not very well].

sidewinder'

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't go any further...

The pisser of all pissers...
BALL-fcuken-ROOM Dancing :rolleyes:

Funny stuff One Dart :D

+TheBocceC L O S E R:eek:

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
interesting

how is archery only a sport if it is a live / moving target? will the said target have a bow and arrow to fire as well? like hunting is really a sport!!! competition is part of sport and until the animals are armed i am skeptical.

Synchronised swimming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello....what the HELL is that about. it has many elements that would define it as a sport but really. what a shocker.

and finally ........walking. how fcuking frustrating is that to watch.

thisaussieisnotgoingtobotherwithmoronslikethepoweranymore

Screw You Captain

Nov 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
who could forget

Synchronized diving and biathalon. Two Canadian medal events, of course.

Bocce has got to be legit, though. The French version of it has a World Series.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Synchronized diving takes all of the dude's afformentioned techniques. Just because Scud lacks synchronized speech or golfing or football or other general daily activities should not bias him towards other synchronized activities.

ThePowerwhobelievesthatisthefirsttimeanAussiehastakenthehighroad

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Dude-where'smycar?
· Curling
· Bowling
· Lawn Bowling
· Skeet shooting
· Archery (unless it involves actually hunting down a moving target)
· Golf
· Sailing
· Darts (sorry, Captain…love yah man!)

anyoneofthesearesportsifyouarepissed

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts