Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals Inter at Nationals 2017

BC Teams @ Nationals

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think it even matters what is said or presented to you at this point Regs, you're clearly going to take it in a negative direction. We as a group made a business decision that was in the best interest for the league. Your commitment to being a miserable dick toward myself and the league has been unparalleled to this point, carry on if you wish, but I do hope that hemorrhoid you've been sitting on heals up one day, so you can go back to leading a happier life.

I can tell my, I'll call it, reactionary tweet seems to have really got under your skin, for that I am legitimately sorry, it really was just that. I should have simply said F off and to keep my name out of your mouth and I'll do the same.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What else do you want me to say? If people want to discuss, they'll post. If not....well, no one cares.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was watching the webcast up until the 80th minute or so (no commentary) and the graphics showed 1-0 Callies at that time. The whole game, I couldn't tell which team was which so assumed the first goal was by Callies.

Cheap production values.

Anyways, huge win for Inter and if they can pull off another win tomorrow vs Sask, I would say they are a shoe-in to be playing for Gold on Monday.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was watching the webcast up until the 80th minute or so (no commentary) and the graphics showed 1-0 Callies at that time. The whole game, I couldn't tell which team was which so assumed the first goal was by Callies.

Cheap production values.

Anyways, huge win for Inter and if they can pull off another win tomorrow vs Sask, I would say they are a shoe-in to be playing for Gold on Monday.

True. I didn't get a chance to see Inter/AB yesterday but I was at Newton during the day and saw Saskatchewan v Newfoundland and the Prairie boys were less than dominant against a Newfie side that was not impressive overall. I also so Ontario play Manitoba in the other pool and neither were inspiring in a fairly listless 0-0 draw. Could be jet lag etc., but so far I would say Inter should be favourites. Biggest obstacle might be Quebec, who won yesterday. I am hoping to be able to catch their game against Ontario today in what will be essentially a must win for Ontario.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter dominated and should easily have had four or five with the gilt edged chances they created. Their biggest problem was they just wouldn't "shoot the fcuking ball", as was yelled by their defence a lot!

Looked sharp though in attack. It's how well their depth do that will be the key.

Here's some video I shot. Not my best work, but was too busy chatting!

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thought I'd venture out to watch Inter/Alberta. Alberta had no threat going forward, no dynamic player who could make a difference. Nonni, Mehrabi and Rahmati were always going to be a threat. Losing Rosenlund to an apparent hamstring issue may be big, as he and Alexander were very difficult to play against in the middle of the park. Streckman going to have to log some major minutes moving forward

Didn't realize you could draw on 2 players from other teams, Inter grabbing Rosenlund is huge. Surprised that with the UBC connection of Mehrabi and Fong, that they didn't nab Navid, Gagan or Reynold.

Nice to have a day off before Saskatchewan, who have played back to back, if Inter can win that one, they should make it to final.

Best of luck lads.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know they tried to get Navid, but he couldn't because of work commitments.

And I believe Gagan is currently at school or working in Hawaii? No idea about Renny though.

I caught the end of Alberta v Saskatchewan today, what a finish:

upload_2017-10-5_22-55-28.png

Two losses all but mathematically eliminates the Alberta boys. Full credit to Sasky though to come back from a 2-0 deficit and bag the winner injury time. It's basically a semi-final between them and Inter tomorrow with the winner almost surely going to the final on Monday. Nova Scotia are still a wild card however, as they did the business seeing off Newfoundland 3-1 in their first game. So perhaps still a twist in the tail to come when BC and SK play the maritime boys.

On the other side I was keen to see Quebec play after they won their opener over New Brunswick on Wednesday. I was impressed, they we young and skilled and looked to be the kind of team that might pose Inter problems should they find themselves lined up opposite each other in a final come Monday. After a pedestrian draw against Manitoba yesterday, Ontario started brightly, taking an early lead. Quebec was shading things though and equalized before half time when they broke through the Ontario back line and finished from close range. Then, Ontario seemed to retake the lead, but it was somewhat confusing. Their striker ended up with the ball and thumped a shot into the top corner from just outside the penalty area, but everyone else seemed somewhat flat footed. Most of the spectators appeared caught off guard by the goal and I must say I was among them; I completely missed the build up or how the Ontario man ended up with the ball, it seemed to come out of nowhere. The teams went back to line up for the kick off and then the referee (Juan Marquez, who did the BC Provincial final), almost belatedly, consulted with his assistant and the goal was ruled out for offside. Again, to be honest, I missed the whole thing, but the Ontario players were not too fervent in their protests so, I guess, it may have been the correct decision.

In the second half Quebec again looked the brighter of the two sides. Ontario were not being played off the park by any stretch and created a few chances, though nothing really guilt edged. Meanwhile Quebec missed a free header in the box and then forced a reflex kick save out of the Ontario keeper off a header from the six yard box. It always felt like a goal was coming for Quebec and, when it arrived, they were full value for it. The second phase of a corner was whipped back in towards the far post and looked to be destined to go over the end line. However a never-say-die run saw the Quebec wide man reach the ball right on the line and head it back across goal. With all the movement created by the ball travelling side to side and the Ontario keeper tracking the cross, a Quebec striker rose unmarked in the box to nod into an unguarded goal. The bench erupted and, with only 20 minutes left, Quebec looked sure to have things sealed. I had to leave, but I could hear the Ontario keeper repeating to his teammates that they were "not going to go out like this", so clearly they were well aware that they absolutely had to come out of this game with something. Honestly though, it seemed more in hope than resolve...however...

upload_2017-10-5_23-26-6.png

I clearly should have found a way to stay and see this one out! Hat tricks and injury time winners were seemingly the theme of the day with both happening in this match as well as the Saskatchewan game earlier and what a result for Ontario. They go from being on life support to the driver's seat in the group. There was a red card to Quebec as well after I left and I can only assume that it accounted for one of the Ontario goals directly. I'm thinking it lead to the equalizer in the 85 minute and then a desperate Ontario, with a man advantage, found a way to get the winner in injury time?? Anybody see what happened who could fill us in?

That's a real hammer blow to Quebec as they will now need to beat Manitoba, who have already drawn against Ontario, and then hope Ontario slip up somehow against New Brunswick. Manitoba were busy thumping Yukon this afternoon who are clearly the weakest team in the division. I caught the sixth and seventh goals and, while I'm sure Yukon were at least somewhat better to begin the game, they were well off the pace. Manitoba could have had three or four more in only the short time I was watching. Unfortunately, barring New Brunswick somehow playing spoiler, unless Manitoba do indeed drop points against Quebec, it is likely that first pace will come down to goal difference between Ontario and Manitoba given that, if they both win out they will be tied on 10 points and their head to head result was a draw. The schedule favours Ontario in this regard as they play Yukon in the very final group game on Sunday and will know exactly how many goals they will need to score. Never fun to see a team like Yukon used as fodder for this purpose, but, regrettably, in tournaments such as this that need to be completed in such a short time, there is really no better alternative. Plus, who knows, maybe that will give Yukon some pride to play for knowing that they can prevent Ontario advancing to the final by perhaps losing 8-0 instead of 9-0.

It's a similar story on the women's side as first place in Pool B will, in all likelihood, come down to goal difference tomorrow. I little bit strange to see that the format for the ladies won't lead to a final, but, instead, the seeding places will be determined by another round robin phase. First place in Pools A and C have been secured by Newfoudland and Alberta respectively with both those teams going 2-0 over the opening two days of the competition and relegating tomorrow's games in those pools to being solely for second place. Pool B however, is set to come down to the aforementioned goal difference. BC Champions, Surrey Utd., drew Nova Scotia on Day 1 and then watched as the maritimers put a beatdown on their East Coast cousins, thumping New Brunswick 5-0. So Surrey will need to score 6 goals and win by at least 5 goals in order to advance into the group playing for first through third as the next tie breaker after head-to-head and goal difference is goals for. A 5-0 scoreline would mean a shootout, time and place TBD, between Surrey and Nova Scotia.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a similar story on the women's side as first place in Pool B will, in all likelihood, come down to goal difference tomorrow. I little bit strange to see that the format for the ladies won't lead to a final, but, instead, the seeding places will be determined by another round robin phase. First place in Pools A and C have been secured by Newfoudland and Alberta respectively with both those teams going 2-0 over the opening two days of the competition and relegating tomorrow's games in those pools to being solely for second place. Pool B however, is set to come down to the aforementioned goal difference. BC Champions, Surrey Utd., drew Nova Scotia on Day 1 and then watched as the maritimers put a beatdown on their East Coast cousins, thumping New Brunswick 5-0. So Surrey will need to score 6 goals and win by at least 5 goals in order to advance into the group playing for first through third as the next tie breaker after head-to-head and goal difference is goals for. A 5-0 scoreline would mean a shootout, time and place TBD, between Surrey and Nova Scotia.

Not that I think anyone was going to call me out on it, but in the interest of journalistic integrity, to clarify Nova Scotia beat New Brunswick 6-1. So to advance Surrey need to either win by 6 or more goals or score 7 or more goals and to win by 5. A 5-0 and Nova Scotia advance; 6-1 is the score line that leads to penalties.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that I think anyone was going to call me out on it, but in the interest of journalistic integrity, to clarify Nova Scotia beat New Brunswick 6-1. So to advance Surrey need to either win by 6 or more goals or score 7 or more goals and to win by 5. A 5-0 and Nova Scotia advance; 6-1 is the score line that leads to penalties.

Good Luck to the TGM'S
@bergamascho

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-1 draw today for Inter.

Currently sit 3rd in the group, needs to win out now, huge game tomorrow vs NS.

(SU Women won 6-0 today, they are through to the medal group now (weird set-up)).

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-1 draw today for Inter.

Currently sit 3rd in the group, needs to win out now, huge game tomorrow vs NS.

(SU Women won 6-0 today, they are through to the medal group now (weird set-up)).

Indeed, it's a hold-the-phone day at NAP on both sides of the tournament.

Inter and Saskatchewan's draw puts the group into complete flux. Both still have to play Nova Scotia who did the business this morning against an Alberta team who have clearly packed it in. Another red card for the Calgary boys today as discipline has been a problem for them in this tournament. They play Newfoundland tomorrow to try and avoid playing to not be last place on Monday... As for Nova Scotia, they are unbeaten with two wins from two games and hold their fate in their own hands as they get ready to play Inter tomorrow. This group is set to come down to Sunday. If Nova Scotia beat Inter then their game Sunday against Saskatchewan, who have their off day tomorrow, will act as essentially a semi final. If Inter win, they will have to put as many goals past Newfoundland on Sunday as possible and then hope Saskatchewan either drops points to Nova Scotia (who would at that point be eliminated from playing for gold but would be fighting to leap frog Sask. to play for bronze) or that their GD holds up to get them to the final. Add in any further draws and the permutations change, but we can deal with those if/when they happen.

In the B Pool, Quebec predictably beat Yukon, though only 2-0 in what has to be considered a bounce back result for the boys from the Territories. Quebec were no doubt resting players as they will play four games in a row and, at this point, their fate was out of their hands. However, they got the result they needed when New Brunswick did indeed take points off Ontario, playing to a 3-3 draw. It was a back and fourth game that I caught the end of and you could definitely see the heavy legs for Ontario, playing three games in three days. New Brunswick looked fresh coming off their rest day and had great chances to win it in the dying minutes. The maritime boys knew it was a must win to have a chance at playing for a medal and they pushed desperately, but the Ontario goalkeeper was in marvelous form. New Brunswick had multiple outnumbered rushes and the man in the sticks for Ontario came up with two complete blinders to preserve his side a point. This sets up a massive clash tomorrow between Quebec and Manitoba. The prairie boys had their rest day today and will be fresh, but it appears Quebec had a chance to rest several players as well against Yukon. If Quebec win then they book their ticket to the final and get a rest day on Sunday before playing for gold on Monday. A win for Manitoba means that all they will need to do is avoid the same fate as Ontario and not drop points to New Brunswick when they play them on Sunday to move into the final. A draw again changes the permutations, but essentially it reinstates the goal difference race between Ontario and Manitoba for Sunday.

Congrats to the Surrey ladies for doing enough to make the medal round in, I have to agree, a "weird set-up". Looks like they left it late with Chelsey Hannesson scoring the crucial 6-0 goal in what is listed as the 98 minute. Can't imagine Nova Scotia would have been thrilled with the referee finding that much time to add...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0