Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

INSURANCE COVERAGE 4 EXHIBITION GAMES PLEASE ?

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please advice on the issue of insurance coverage for Exhibition games . We are a U12 Boys Gold team.

1-Who has to be informed that we are playing a game ?
2-Does a team list need to be completed prior to the game ?
3-Does the insurance cover only apply to the 12 players registered to our team ?
4-Does the insurance cover apply if i use players from other U12 teams within our club?
5-Does the insurance cover apply if i use a player from another district ?
6- Does the insurance coverage require an official ref or can a coach or parent ref the game ?
We plan to play games during the Xmas break -[19th Dec - 7th Jan ] as many of the turf fields in Surrey and surrounding areas should be available .
I would be grateful if there,s any other info/advice u can offer please .

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. Well, your club will be informed by your request for a field and ref. So that's covered. Have to believe your opposition will inform their club as well?
2. Team lists are not needed - just gentleman's agreements with your opposition re: players (ie, I've often asked if I can use the game to give players a "tryout" so they are aware I am using an "unknown" player).
3. Insurance covers any player registered to your club. (were my trialists covered by insurance!? I have no clue now!).
4. Yes.
5. Players from other districts would need not only their current club coaches approval (ie, if the kid players Cliff Avenue u12 boys then that coach would have to approve it), but probably the other districts' district rep as well. The coach will likely ask his club head coach/technical director/district rep anyway...if he doesn't, and the player gets hurt....potential yikes.
6. Good question! I've not always bothered with official refs for exhibition games....but I wonder if they are required!? Heck my u11's have had loads of league and exhibition games this year without a ref, but who knows (in legal terms). Better ask your club. I will from now on!

Good luck in your games!

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please advice on the issue of insurance coverage for Exhibition games . We are a U12 Boys Gold team.

1-Who has to be informed that we are playing a game ?
2-Does a team list need to be completed prior to the game ?
3-Does the insurance cover only apply to the 12 players registered to our team ?
4-Does the insurance cover apply if i use players from other U12 teams within our club?
5-Does the insurance cover apply if i use a player from another district ?
6- Does the insurance coverage require an official ref or can a coach or parent ref the game ?
We plan to play games during the Xmas break -[19th Dec - 7th Jan ] as many of the turf fields in Surrey and surrounding areas should be available .
I would be grateful if there,s any other info/advice u can offer please .

I asked my club the above questions but still waiting for a reply . Here,s an extract from the BC soccer insurance wording

"BC Soccer affords coverage to players and members from our insurance provider All Sport Insurance.

Liability Insurance
No matter how careful you are, accidents happen. You can be sued by anyone who claims injury or damages resulting from your activities. You may not be liable, but you will need to be defended in court. A liability policy will pay for this defence as well as any costs awarded against you. In short, liability insurance gives you peace of mind. All members of the organization are covered during sanctioned or authorized events.

Sport Accident Insurance
Sport Accident Insurance is coverage for sanctioned practices and games.

Sanctioned practices and games - can the coach or assistant coach sanction a game or is only the club executives allowed to sanction games/practices.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You'll have to ask your club executive for the definitive answers, Geordie. I've been playing exhibition games without ref's for years - sometimes we use them and sometimes we don't. The clubs I have coached in have never mentioned the need for a ref - how many league games go ahead without them! PLENTY. But ask your club!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Geordie:

All Sport's accident coverage is supplemental. If you get hurt in a club game or practice, you go through your primary insurance provider first (i.e. MSP or your extended health coverage) and then deal with All Sport for anything not covered.

Kids on try-outs technically aren't covered - if they/their parents haven't signed a registration form, then they aren't part of your club yet. If they're registered with other clubs, then they're got coverage through the All Sport policy, but I would be a bit cautious about mentioning the words "exhibition game" for another club. Again, All Sport's bets are hedged because a primary provider normally would take on the majority of an accident's cost.

If you're booking a field for this, then chances are, the Parks Board it belongs to will want proof of insurance before they release the field to you. As bettermirror has stated, this is something you probably want to have done by your club to give it any sanctioning.

Do you need a ref for U12 gold? I'd recommend it. The cost isn't that onerous, and your club should have lots of younger refs who could use both the experience and the Boxing Day cash... Quit being so cheap and give a kid a chance!

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
To have a ref for exhibition games is usually works out to one or two dollars per player! :) and then your opposition doesn't have to pay anything.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Geordie:

All Sport's accident coverage is supplemental. If you get hurt in a club game or practice, you go through your primary insurance provider first (i.e. MSP or your extended health coverage) and then deal with All Sport for anything not covered.

Kids on try-outs technically aren't covered - if they/their parents haven't signed a registration form, then they aren't part of your club yet. If they're registered with other clubs, then they're got coverage through the All Sport policy, but I would be a bit cautious about mentioning the words "exhibition game" for another club. Again, All Sport's bets are hedged because a primary provider normally would take on the majority of an accident's cost.

If you're booking a field for this, then chances are, the Parks Board it belongs to will want proof of insurance before they release the field to you. As bettermirror has stated, this is something you probably want to have done by your club to give it any sanctioning.
I asked my club the above questions but still waiting for a reply . Here,s an extract from the BC soccer insurance wording

"BC Soccer affords coverage to players and members from our insurance provider All Sport Insurance.

Liability Insurance
All members of the organization are covered during sanctioned or authorized events.

Sport Accident Insurance
Sport Accident Insurance is coverage for sanctioned practices and games.

Trece verde , I havn,t had a reply yet from my club but maybe u can clarify the following for Exhibition games only please

Sanctioned practices and games - can the coach or assistant coach sanction an Exhibition game or is only the club executives allowed to sanction Exhibition games/practices ?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, Geordie; been at work too much again lately. Hope you have already been able to find an answer to your question, but if not, here's something to consider...

Honestly, I can't see any way that a coach can unilaterally "sanction" a game of any kind - that would put both too much onus on a coach and give that individual too much leeway. That's why we have the check/balance of club affiliations. Again, if you don't understand one of BC Soccer's rules or policies, go back to your club executive and get them to provide an answer for you.

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This issue has just come up again. A Y league team (part of a youth district) want to play and exhibition game against an academy team (who are associate members) The Academy team are covered by All Sport on their own policy and are good to go. The youth district office, however, has told the Y league coach this game is not sanctioned by BC Soccer and therefore they may not play. It is clear that the 2 teams could meet in a tournament in Kelowna or California for instance and all would be good but there seems to be a gap when it comes to exhibition games (and, similarly, tryouts). I discussed this with the All Sport office and was told yes this appears to be a no brainer but, in fact, it is up to BC Soccer to say which activities are approved and which are not. All that's needed is one sentence. A simple statement from BCSA that exhibition games between member clubs/teams are "approved activities" is all it would take to satisfy any question of insurance coverage. The BC AGM is coming up and I would urge someone to move that such a statement be made there and a note added to the Rules & Regs.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should this change? Academies (for the most part) have operated outside the BCSA system (at least as it stands now), partly at least because their players weren't bound by the out-of-district rule. In the past, this has caused grief and frustration as well, because there is no way that you can guarantee that a BC team playing in an out-of-province tournament will only play against "sanctioned" opponents. If it was only an issue of their exposure to risk by not playing against insured opponents, you wouldn't even have to worry about this.

BCSA's reticence seems to be based on the fear of a competing parallel system in the province operating outside their auspices.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts