Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hundreds pay respects to Canadian War Hero

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hundreds pay respects to Smokey Smith

Canadian Press

August 12, 2005

(CP) - Hundreds of people have lined a Vancouver street to pay their last respects to Canadian war hero Ernest (Smokey) Smith as he lay in state at the Seaforth Armoury.

Among the mourners who walked past Smokey's coffin draped in a Canadian flag was his great-nephew Bombardier Brian Smith.

Smith has played with the army band for 14 years.

On Saturday he will play the euphonia, a small tuba at his great-uncle's funeral.

Smith says it will be a sad day for him as he marches from the armoury to St. Andrews church.

He says that's because he has lost "a great mentor."

Smokey was the country's last surviving winner of the Victoria Cross, the Commonwealth's highest award for bravery.

He died last week at the age of 91.

His memorial will be the largest military procession Canada has seen in more than 50 years.
Link to a little video.

lita

Feb 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This will be quite the event, and I am grateful and excited that I will be in attendence at it, watching my boy march in the procession parade. They will be shutting Burrard street down for two hours Saturday morning and a fly by (missing man formation) at 500', as they cross the bridge, a remarkable farewell to a remarkable man.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
a spectacular send off for an incredibly brave man.the respect for this man is so imense throughout canada as it should be. emergency vehicles will not even be allowed to cross burrard st during smokey's farewell.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
saw a few gov. buildings the other day without their flags at half mast, kinda embarrasing and disrespectful when all of Canada was to honor him (at least the gov.)! You can view all the Victoria Cross hero's at http://www.victoriacross.net if one wishes. Kinda interesting to see how some of them received them.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts