Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier How Many Teams Should The Premier Contain?

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This subject has been discussed elsewhere so it deserves it's own thread.
Are there too many teams in the Premier?
Is it watered down?
How many should there be?

Please discuss.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know that most VMSLers won't even give guys in the FVSL the time of day, but this year the Premiership has dropped to eight teams. The level of competition has been incredible(with the exception of two or three games).

There are too many Premier teams in Vancouver. Drop it down to ten or eight, and the quality of soccer will be much better.

Follow the FVSL's lead for once.

Plonkers.:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Follow the FVSL's lead? How about correcting a huge mis-judgement by the powers that be in the first place?

The Premiership meant something when we only had 10 teams. Ask anyone who has played in it over the last 10 years and they will all say the same thing: the quality is at an all-time low now. Quality players are opting out for the 1st division (no, not I) and you have players that have no business playing premier "just to make up numbers".

How many players have "jumped ship" in the last 5 years? Do you think that would happen in a 10 team league?

Good thread Jinky!

~Regs.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The league is definetly watered down and should at the most have 10 teams. I still can't figure out how you can have a premier div with two different sides. A team that doesn't deserve to stay up, can just on luck of the draw as to what side they are put on. Everyone should play everyone home and away and then there is no doubt as to what teams should go down.

10 team league in my opinion would be the way to go.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

This subject comes up over post game beers so often yet now no one seems to want to discuss it.

Could it be that those who would normally talk about it are playing for teams which would find themselves back in the first div. if the Premier were to contract?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not enough beers on TTP

Originally posted by Jinky
This subject comes up over post game beers so often yet now no one seems to want to discuss it.

Jinky, everyone will say how great the old days of ten teams was. I remeber on year in the very early 90's when there was 4 points between 1st and 8th, now that is a competitive league.

The problem is, the VMSL execitive wanted to expand, just like every other league in North America. They allowed 2 FVSL teams into Premier, and even told them they could not be relegated the first year.
The problem is, to have expansion they still had Div. 1 promotion, so the league went to 14 teams, and now is not as competitive as years gone by.

One of the worst things to come of the 14 team league, is that players no longer have to show up to training to get playing time. Teams are sooo strained for talent that you need every player that is signed to play on sunday. So guys can do what ever they want when it comes to training.

HOS thinking about having a beer or two before going to the Legends of Hockey Game tonight in Penticton, the Home of the B.C. Hockey Hall of Fame.
No Jinky, I did not bring any 5Star with me, you Jerk.

HOS

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They allowed 2 FVSL teams into Premier, and even told them they could not be relegated the first year.
Where did you hear that load of bollox from? SFC was sent packing along with PCOV (I think) the fist year. Surrey United your 2002 league champs BTW, barley escaped relegation by a single point.

You're absolutely correct in saying teams need every player come the weekend (except Guinness ;) ) and the old adage of "come to training and win your spot" is long since dead. I myself am all for a 10 team league. Hopefully it would stop the ship jumpers and create some of the old time hard feelings with teams because they would be the same year after year. Not like today.

Can you imagine what will happen to Inter WHEN they don't win anything? It'll be a good time to invest in Suite case stock.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Brainer

This was a no-brainer the day the league expanded. Stupid from day 1 to try to accomodate a Surrey U team who happened to have a lucky 3 game run in the Provicial Cup the previous year. They came 2nd to last and FC, well......

It was supposed to be a 2 year experiment. And it failed, misserably. Yes, there are the occasions that I thank Azzi for putting this 14 team Prem together-we, like most, have had some bad seasons along the way with no repercussions.

It is definitely time to go back to a 10 team league. Perhaps going to 12 one year and then 10 the next would be the best approach. Relegate the 2 worst teams and have a playoff with the 2 best Div 1 teams and the 2 second worst (6th place) Prem teams to see who keeps the 2 spots.

As for the "best" players not playing in the premier....big names, for sure, but sometimes not always the best players. This is debatable. But HOS hits it on the head when he talks about commitment. For a guy trying to run a team, this drives me nuts.

Good thread.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

I remember that one year when there was a 5 way tie for first to finish the season.

Too bad stuff like that will never happen again...

~Regs.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a Tangent--------------}

I would love to be a part of a team that has 18 guys committed to the team everytime out. Every team seems to have their core 7 - 10 players. But I would love to see the day where soccer was the #1 priority from Sept to May.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know why you call it stupid, but Surrey has done nothing but good things since it's rough first year. Moved up the latter each and every year. Even kicked the once mighty Rovers ass a few times along the way.

How could it have been a 2 year experiment? I don't understand that part. I can see if both sides got dropped, lesson learned, but Surrey U made a few look pretty good it's second and third year.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only reason Slurrey started to look better is because players started packing their suitcases and heading over there for a year or two.

Those players may not be there now, but I really think that is the reason you guys managed to stay up and then build from there.

Personally I think there is NO way the league should have allowed valley teams straight into the premier. Other teams have entered the league from other leagues and they had to start at the bottom... why was this changed?

Should've have known the whole "experiment" was doomed when one of the valley teams bailed the month before the season started :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's more like it.

I would especially commend WAB for addressing the issue from a position that is only made comfortable by the complete inneptitude of the Argies.

This watered down league affords too much playing time to muckers who should be playing in the First Division.

BTW, sorry HOS but you should have told the wife to get in the house so we could go for a pint. You've got to think on your feet man!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another One On The Way!!!!

FC Tempo One year, Romania after that, Serbs another year, Argies the next, NorVan before all that. Next year the same old thing.

KNVB,

Congrats on improving from your 2nd to last standing :rolleyes:
But as usual, you missed the bigger picture. Why did Surrey U get the automatic bye into the Prem?

coachk

Jul 31, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the REASON for the 2 year experiment was the pressure coming from the fraser valley mob who had... for a long time suggested that their league was on a par with the vmsl so a 2year... no relegation... deal was struck mostly to see what would happen but before the start of the season the Abbotsford team exploded or something so i think the next best finisher in their league was brought in.It was to be revisited at the end of two years Surrey had done a good job of recruiting by then and deserved a spot but what happened to the other fr valley team?
Anyway the truth of the matter is the vmsl IS watered down and needs to be reduced ...surely there are enough players in the lower mainland to field 12 teams of quality if not the year after reduce again to 10 Maybe it should be put on the agenda for the next vmsl AGM....wonder how many clubs would agree?
Coach k

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a 2 Year Plan with NO Relegation

Originally posted by knvb
Where did you hear that load of bollox from? SFC was sent packing along with PCOV (I think) the fist year.

Hey knob I know you are just a Right Back now, but you can have a little knowledge of the VMSL.

I think that SFC left the league because they were not able to compete at the level, and wanted to go back to the FVSL. Your sorry team, filled with a bunch of average right backs, was able to stay out of the relegation zone barely, but did'nt have to.

I think there are some good things that came out of the expansion. Old average keepers can keep playing in the league.
We get to talk about all the transfers that take place in a 14 team league.
But most of all it is interesting from week to week. With injuries and suspensions, teams can be totaly different from week to week, with the lose of key players.
You would think that our games would become more discilplined inorder to avoid suspensions from silly yellow cards, but I think it has gone the opposite.

HOS of to see Tiger, King Richard, Butch, Courtnal, and Adams. All the Old time Nucks. Good canadian kids. I think Daryl Sittler is playing too.

HOS

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
See what it took to get coachk posting again?

I agree with the ol' Liverpudlian.

Premier means first, not second, not next best. It means top of the heap. When the Premier goes to 50 teams then I'll get a game. That's as good a reason to have only 10 teams as any.

Okay 60.:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts