Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Home Gym: Treadmills

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I went to Coconut Milk in the coffee. Yeah, weird, and I take a lot of abuse from my gaggle of coffee girls, but got rid of the cream. @Regs, I've done the intermittent fasting thing, too. Takes some discipline, but now I'm accustomed to not having a meal before 11:00.

Jesus, it's no wonder companies like The Chopped Leaf and Freshii are killing it, they see us coming a mile away...cause who the fcuk wants to make their own salad?

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny thing - I was a dairy hog my whole life. I loved it all, even cottage cheese. My typical day in high school was to have cereal with milk, McD;s for lunch (invented the big mac combo in 1980), come home and make perogies with sour cream and a chocolate ice cream milk shake. Sometimes there was dairy in dinner and then ice cream for dessert. AS I got older, the dairy added more excellent cheeses of the world. I bet the pasty white ladies at Les Amis du Frommage miss me.

It's amazing that I always feel better when the gluten has been chopped down. I'm not sure I can imagine a life without dairy though... I'm not a sweets guy, but good vanilla ice cream is my jam. I don't drink milk, but I love my good cheeses and I'd have a hard time not having cream in my coffee, though.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christ your periods are about to start synching up here fellas. This COVID thing is getting serious. Everyone get a beer in your hand, other hands down your pants and get it bloody together.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When was your guys' "ah ha" moment when you realized you were old?

I have had a lot, but had another this morning.

I'm getting a good swim workout in, and the lady next to me was swimming really well, really strong. In my mind, I'm thinking, "Yeah, she's moving along pretty good for an old duck".

I see her get out of the pool, and realize I'm looking at a girl that grew up next to me in Port Moody and born the same year.

#oldmallard

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When was your guys' "ah ha" moment when you realized you were old?
When guys I know start referring to chicks as ladies

Inside The Actors Studio GIF

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Status Update:

1 LB to go for that first initial goal. Thinking of going for an additional 10 LBs (to get to the low 190s) but feel I'll need to start incorporating some weight training in there at the same time.

Not quite sure how to transition from losing weight to maintaining - any advice?

More or less been shooting for 1620 calories intake a day. An extra 1000 calories seems impossible, where the fcuk am I gonna find that doesn't include barley and hops?!?!?!

Go Canada.

1623416241533.png

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many calories are you burning a day? Jesus that’s a low calorie intake for an adult man, impressive. I live the maintenance game. Need an idea of how many days you work out, calories burned a day. Generally I’ve found eating very restrictive intake doesn’t work for me. Had to find the medium ground of more like 2000 calories but me vigilant with the calories burned. Stay off the couch until the job is done.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many calories are you burning a day? Jesus that’s a low calorie intake for an adult man, impressive. I live the maintenance game. Need an idea of how many days you work out, calories burned a day. Generally I’ve found eating very restrictive intake doesn’t work for me. Had to find the medium ground of more like 2000 calories but me vigilant with the calories burned. Stay off the couch until the job is done.
Currently running 5/6 days a week with calorie burn 300 to 400 (depending on whether a recovery run day or growth run day)

I sit at a desk all day so the low intake is what "they" say I need in order to lose 1.5 LBs weekly ("inactive" lifestyle).

I don't eat until Noon. That's another thing I guess I'll be coming out of, the whole intermitten fasting program. Probably pack on a few pounds until my body adjusts to that (mentally not sure how I'll cope with that).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Status Update:

1 LB to go for that first initial goal. Thinking of going for an additional 10 LBs (to get to the low 190s) but feel I'll need to start incorporating some weight training in there at the same time.

Not quite sure how to transition from losing weight to maintaining - any advice?

More or less been shooting for 1620 calories intake a day. An extra 1000 calories seems impossible, where the fcuk am I gonna find that doesn't include barley and hops?!?!?!

Go Canada.

View attachment 30873
The calorie intake was my big red flag, too.

You need to find an outdoor hobby that is low wear and tear. Obviously football is out. How is your knee handling the running? Must be better w/ less weight to haul around?

I feel the key to sustainability is finding a good outdoor activity where you get the endorphins and all the good feels of being outside, because eventually, the treadmill will wear thin. You'll need to transition it from being a primary tool to a secondary tool. If you use that thing all summer, you will want to burn it in October, when you'll need it again.

And, you're going to need to get your calorie intake up eating healthy. Nothing that comes in a package. Ignore all the BS from people that say "fruit is sugar too", well it's not processed, and generally speaking, a paleo diet is something where you can consume the calories you need and they burn cleanly. And fcuk yeah, reward yourself with a nice steak more often.

So, if your knees are handling it, why not start a 1/2 marathon training program? It will incrementally get your KMs up? For upper body, if you can find some groove with a gym, great. Me, I can't. I have one at home, too. But, I also swim a lot. If you want to incorporate something w/ the kids, buy them some wetsuits, and invest in a couple of inflatable lake kayaks. I just bungee my little one on the paddle board behind me and we take off for a couple of hours.

In the winter, take up snowshoeing, or even XC skiing. The later, killer workout, just a lot tougher for you to get to a track. Snowshoeing, anyone can do, and kids love it.

Another....you say you have coffee every morning, find a coffee shop 10-15 minutes walk down the road, wake up early and go for a walk every morning. Add another in evening. Boom, 1000 calories.

Anyways, these are just suggestions, but I do know three keys here:

1. Get outside.
2. Find alternate hobbies / activities.
3. Clean eating.

And bloody well give yourself a lot of credit, that's a fcuk load of weight you dropped in a short period of time.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently running 5/6 days a week with calorie burn 300 to 400 (depending on whether a recovery run day or growth run day)

I sit at a desk all day so the low intake is what "they" say I need in order to lose 1.5 LBs weekly ("inactive" lifestyle).

I don't eat until Noon. That's another thing I guess I'll be coming out of, the whole intermitten fasting program. Probably pack on a few pounds until my body adjusts to that (mentally not sure how I'll cope with that).

Hey- in IF, maybe trim that down to 3-4x / week? That's tough to maintain, and sometimes has you feeling gassed. You may be on a fast track to burn-out.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs one thing I was doing that was easy while gyms were closed was aiming for 50 pushups. 50 situps. 50 squats a day.

You can spread this out during the day to hit the goal every day.

Thus when you wake up 10 pushups. 10 situps. 10 squats.

Do that during various parts of the day.

Goal is to try and move up to do them all at once right when you wake up on empty stomach or after coffee.
Easy way to start to add some muscle.

Great thing being you can add reps as you go along and feel stronger.

Good goal is to do 25 25 25 when you wake up.

25 25 25 before you go to sleep.

Start slow and build up. Too many people try doing too much to fast.

If its 5 5 5 when you first start all good.

Key is to hit the goal every day however you get there.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs one thing I was doing that was easy while gyms were closed was aiming for 50 pushups. 50 situps. 50 squats a day.

Goal is to try and move up to do them all at once right when you wake up on empty stomach or after coffee.

I'm going to start this up. If it means no weight room, fcuk yeah!

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Exactly what I'm doing.... I was up to 175 (pre-pandemic 160)... did not like what I saw so set a goal to get down to 165....
Daily routine: get up at 7:30, do 25 sit-ups, push-ups, squats... drink my coffee, out for a 10k walk, jog, run... some days go golfing instead of the run and on Sundays a kick-around with the guys. Got down to 165 and now my goal is 155.... can't seem to get to it, been down to 156 (mostly around 157-158) but just can't seem to hit 155 so not sure how to do it. Of course the 19th hole on the course doesn't help (but not cutting that out!!!!). I guess I should be happy but still I want that 155! So easy to slip back and put on an extra 2 or 3 lbs, or more

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I went a different route. Bought an Aussie shepherd who makes my life wonderful and horrible. He gets 2+ hours an day. I’ve never walked so much in my life. Burn 3-700 calories a day just on that. He loves a run too, 5-10km no problem. Also have a mildly physical job(city worker) I don’t want to try and set off Dude by saying I work hard.
I try and have real workouts 4-6 times a week. I’m a little younger but a good home workout is more in the 5-800 calorie range(spin bike/weights/bands). I like my full workout to be 60min. Kind of my sweet spot. Weights after the cardio or incorporate within.

Im into simple circuits for weights. 7min on, 3 min rest. 7min on and 3 min rest. 4 circuits. It’s quick and tough.
Say (set 1)
Squats body weight(20)
Biceps curls into a shoulder press (15)
Push ups 15
Lunges 20
(Set 2)
Burpees 10
Dips on a bench 15
Bench press dumbells 15
Rows with dumbbells
The idea is for 7 minutes you do set one as many times as you can. Then rest for 3 minutes. Then you do set 2 for 7minutes as many times as you can. 3 minute rest and back to set 1. You do both sets twice in the end. Can start with all body weight stuff don’t need heavy weights. Only 28minutes of actual exercise. Takes about 40min. Endless amounts of exercises you can build into the program.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Love this stuff you guys. I’m just getting back into runs as well while my kid practices but could never get into a good routine. That and off and on back issues always killed a good run of runs.
Used to do classes for weights/cardio etc but Schedule never fit with mine after new owners changed things up.
I’ve never had big fluctuations in weight, just where the weight sat on my body. Currently excess sits just above the waistband of my pants due to covid.
Anyone out there using TRX and have a good routine?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking running, eh? I don’t know one former footballer who loves running. I’ve been into a good groove since September. Think one of these was one I looked forward to? No way. It’s still something I dread. @Regs you on the other hand seem to be enjoying it?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0