Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Home Gym: Treadmills

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My 2021 Treadmill Stats

Miles Ran: 585
Elevation Climbed: 55, 397 Feet
Calories Burned: 95,151

Not bad, think I'll let myself go, pack on 50LBs and see if I can do a PB in 2023.
My expensive new clothes rack arrives tomorrow

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My 2021 Treadmill Stats

Miles Ran: 585
Elevation Climbed: 55, 397 Feet
Calories Burned: 95,151

Not bad, think I'll let myself go, pack on 50LBs and see if I can do a PB in
My expensive new clothes rack arrives tomorrow
Mines covered in snow right now and I’m slowly watching myGoals get further and further away. But upgraded the to AirPods and a garmin over the holidays so I can play better music. So I’ve got that going for me.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mines covered in snow right now and I’m slowly watching myGoals get further and further away. But upgraded the to AirPods and a garmin over the holidays so I can play better music. So I’ve got that going for me.
I put the IFit subscription on My card so I can remind myself monthly about how much weight I could be losing while a small part of my wealth wastes away instead

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK you win for worst fitness plan
canadian 90s GIF by CBC

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Into week 2. Man do I have some work to do. Definatley seeing immediate results interms of the build up and over all alertness as well sleeping better. Without the IFIT , I don't think I'd be all in. Didn't kid myself from the start. On with the begginer programs all female conducted. Not sure if that makes me a bitch or a pervert.

I'm doing 2 different programs. In the morning before work it's a shorter more intense 15 - 20 minute sessions. Current trainer is Alex Morgan. I'll sweat for a good half hour after. Good thing my drive to the office is around 45 minutes.

After work come home and hug the kids, ask my wife what's for dinner then immediately jump on the machine for a longer more enduring 35-45 minute session. There are a few core exercises in session. For now I override them and do my own pushes. Come February I'll introduce some core stuff.

A good pair of indoor runners are key to avoid the shin splints.

Salads are the main dinner drivers accompanied with either fish or chicken yougurt berries and nuts for lunch. At breakfast it's coffee all black no creams or sugars. I find coffee is key to quelling any hunger. To bad it took me 42 years to try it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Into week 2. Man do I have some work to do. Definatley seeing immediate results interms of the build up and over all alertness as well sleeping better. Without the IFIT , I don't think I'd be all in. Didn't kid myself from the start. On with the begginer programs all female conducted. Not sure if that makes me a bitch or a pervert.

I'm doing 2 different programs. In the morning before work it's a shorter more intense 15 - 20 minute sessions. Current trainer is Alex Morgan. I'll sweat for a good half hour after. Good thing my drive to the office is around 45 minutes.

After work come home and hug the kids, ask my wife what's for dinner then immediately jump on the machine for a longer more enduring 35-45 minute session. There are a few core exercises in session. For now I override them and do my own pushes. Come February I'll introduce some core stuff.

Salads are the main dinner drivers accompanied with either fish or chicken yougurt berries and nuts for lunch. At breakfast it's coffee all black no creams or sugars. I find coffee is key to quelling any hunger. To bad it took me 42 years to try it.
Awesome and congrats!

Search out trainer Stacey Clark -> lots of good beginner series with her and her husband.

John Peel is great early on as well, awesome motivator and you'll develop a bit of a bromance :)

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Awesome and congrats!

Search out trainer Stacey Clark -> lots of good beginner series with her and her husband.

John Peel is great early on as well, awesome motivator and you'll develop a bit of a bromance :)
Cool. I need a new bromance. Left my previous one late last year after 30 years. He went all conspiracy theory on me :oops:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Shoes: after years and years of using either Asics or Brooks, I switched to Hoka this year. Mainly, calf issues. I needed as high a stack as possible, and theirs is so exaggerated it's funny looking. But, if I had shin splint issues, this is for sure the shoe I'd seek out. It's been great for me. About to recycle my current pair and get a new set. I have as high a stack as I can get in their trail shoe, too.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Assuming I drag my ass out of bed, morning runs are better than any caffeine I've ever tried for morning alertness... which is good, because I'm on one cup a day orders.

@Dude , what's the rational in switching from Asics? I've had nagging calf (really the muscle between the calf and achilles) issues for a while - bought a Theragun and it really helps but every so often I'll land the wrong way and I feel one of the calf areas start to tighten up. Is there some magic to the new brand?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Assuming I drag my ass out of bed, morning runs are better than any caffeine I've ever tried for morning alertness... which is good, because I'm on one cup a day orders.

@Dude , what's the rational in switching from Asics? I've had nagging calf (really the muscle between the calf and achilles) issues for a while - bought a Theragun and it really helps but every so often I'll land the wrong way and I feel one of the calf areas start to tighten up. Is there some magic to the new brand?

I've been having calf issues for some time. Like a long time, but through footy, never became a big problem. As I got older, and we transitioned to turf, became way more pronounced.

Asics....from a fit and feel standpoint always my favorite shoe, and was a believer in the Gel packs as opposed to air Nike deployed. Nike has never felt like a good shoe to me. It's just a fit thing.

It was a local trail running guru that I spoke w/ about the calf issues, as it was preventing me from really ramping up the volumes I felt I needed to be at, neverminded the intensities. He basically said, "Do this, and you won't regret it". I think the stack, in addition to cushioning, helps position your foot slightly more forward in your strike. You want to land mid sole (apparently) for the best "old man" running form. Meaning, we don't want to injure ourselves just running, which is more and more likely. Heel strike: knee issues. Running on toes, calf issues. This apparently allows you to get the effect of running on the toes while providing a better cushion.

Magic? Ironically, no. They are just weird looking shoes! I don't think they have any special technologies, but they go for the huge stack, and they look like alien shoes. I believe originally developed by triathletes for triathletes, and that community is normally very quick to adopt new technologies. All the major advancements we've seen in Cycling (Time Trial) and Open Water Swimming, and now Running recently, came from triathlon.

But....with all the physios that are lurking here, would love to hear from them. I always feel like my calves are held together by duct tape that is fraying on the sides. As I've stated here previously, my warm-ups for runs are about 30 minutes. Just the warm up. 20 really slow, 10 of some pick-ups, then the last 30/60/90 minutes at whatever the prescribed efforts are. If those efforts are "speed" work (speed isn't really speed, it's the pace where old ladies aren't quite running past me with ease), I also stop to get in a 2 minute stretch, then get to it.

Theragun: game changer. Use that mofo all the time.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
yeah the Theragun was absolute AGONY on the calf and glutes, holy hell... but it gradually got better, and it really helps... amazing how many knots you have lurking under the surface you'd never know about...

I'm an "extreme pronator", which is why they recommended the heavy duty Asiics years ago. I buy them once a year, but it really should be every six months. Just bought a new pair and my run on Sunday was heavenly compared to the old, worn our shoes.

i think there is something called the soleus muscle in there. Whatever it is, when I Theragun that motherfcuker it's like i'm grinding out tendonitis or something. After about 30 seconds it goes numb and I can really work away at it. Next day, it's made a huge difference.

And yes, I'm still talking about my soleus...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts