Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hijab? Yes or No?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dazza's piss take asside (I call my wife's older sisters the "Ninjas"), the FIFA delegates / officials interviewed were as spineless as the refs who chose to throw out a young lady due to wearing a hijab.

This is as stupid as the incident in Langley where the Seikh kid was banned from the field due to his headwear.

Key word: endangered. A head scarf endangers nobody.

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Key word: endangered. A head scarf endangers nobody.

There was a kid playing with a scarf on during my sons U11 cup game on the weekend. IMO he looked pretty silly (scarf was purely for warmth) but was definitely not a danger to anybody.

Kind of like the "karate kid" who plays for Westside Rino B :eek:

BB

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly. Freedome of religion also may mean looking a bit silly to somebody outside the religion. That young girl could technically get thrown out too for wearing the black full spandex pants under the shorts, and we all may think she looks silly, but she wears it for religious reasons.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't there a rule that undergarments must match the colour of the shorts? Or am I confusing that with the carpet/drapes thingy?

:confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I recall reading somewhere at some point that shorts were mandatory, and parts were strictly forbidden. Again, I would imagine that most officials allow for some flexibility within common sense.

I pulled this from the FVSL site...not sure if it conforms with FIFA:

1(h) Each team shall be responsible to ensure that every player is properly dressed and equipped in accordance with F.I.F.A. Laws of the Game. The normal dress of a soccer player is a shirt, shorts stockings and shoes. Shin guards are mandatory and must be completely covered by the stockings at all times. Jewellery is dangerous and is not allowed. Every player must be identifiable by means of a number on his uniform, the minimum requirement for which shall be a number of contrasting color and at least eight (8) inches in height, of proportionate width, permanently affixed and appearing on the back of the player’s shirt. Players are not to share a shirt and duplicate numbers are not allowed. Teams are expected to do everything possible to make the game attractive from the spectator’s point of view.

1(i) Where female players are concerned, the drapes must match the carpet, whenever possible.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is just one more example of the ultimate in stupidity on the part of (some ) referees. Why would they want to create upset amongst a young team of kids and why over something like this head wear? Safety issue is a hoot. It is just typical of the kind of ref who looks at a game as a chance to exercise blind authority versus using common sense. It is guys like this ref who lay awake nights dreaming up this stuff up that make everyone in the game look stupid. These are kids.

I do think that if the game is going to reach into countries where kids where that kind of head wear for religious significance that they have to accommodate this type of situation without forcing ridiculous rules on the participants. It is not like a ceremonial dagger.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
1(i) Where female players are concerned, the drapes must match the carpet, whenever possible.
I hear that's why Britney shaved her head.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At first, when I read this I thought they were debating over the full hijab, veil included. In that case, I'd agree with FIFA; it's impractical and also interferes with a player's vision.

However, the version shown in the report doesn't create that issue. It doesn't obstruct the player's vision, and it doesn't appear to create any danger to other players either. So what's the problem?

Really depends on your cultural perspective. Most of us who have been raised in North America find Moslem "modesty" anaethemic because it only applies to women. Why should Moslem men not cover their heads or their bodies for the sake of modesty as well? "Sexist!" we yell. Is it though?

My personal preference is that women should wear as little as possible:D (or possibly more accurate, as little as they are comfortable with), once they reach the age of majority. Another personal preference that I have is that children should be completely shielded from religions until they are old enough to make informed decisions about them (about 12), but I'm not going to stir that pot right now. All this being said, the whole thing is a very heavy trip to lay on an 11 year old kid.

Verdict: let the girl play. Doesn't matter what she wears as long as it isn't presenting a danger to herself or to other players. I can get over my cultural bias later...

Trece

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts