Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gun control on a more serious level

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just read an update to this story... apparently the shots were supposed to hit the autistic person and not his care-taker.

Of course the discussion is now about how hard it is to recognize an autistic person... I don't know, in the video I saw, it seemed pretty clear?

There is another side story to this as well as apparently some cop fed false info after the incident and is now "suspended" / being investigated.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even that line about "trying to hit the autistic guy" is utter shite. Unless his marksmanship is really that bad, in which case he shouldn't be allowed on the street with a gun anyway.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's so hard to support the (US) cops when stuff like this keeps happening. I know it's a small sample size of idiocity amongst some very good officers. I understand that the quick trigger responses are happening as a product of an out of control gun issue, and cops are likely feeling exposed. Totally get it. But this one...man, it stinks.

Then you think about some of the selfless acts of courage, like seeing cops running towards crumbling buildings on 911, or running towards bomb blasts at the Boston Marathon....

The whole situation sucks and I doubt it will get better in our generation and I fear my kids as well.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, I'd probably fear your kids as well... :D

There are a lot of things that are wrong with the picture...
  1. too many weapons available, both legally and illegally = paranoia. "Who has a bigger gun than I do?" would be a fairly common thought going through officers' heads at the beginning of a situation.
  2. lack of relevant training - I know, pot and kettle and all that. How good of a cop are you going to be if you were trained in Wide Spot In The Road, Nebraska and then go to Junkie Central? This plays back to item 1 as well, because if you have the training relevant to deal with a situation involving mental illness, you're less likely to unholster before asking questions. Glad that the boys in blue here have much better training...
  3. the "I have a new hammer so everything looks like a nail" approach. One of the perverse methods being used as an economic stimulus down south is that military weapons and equipment contractors are being paid to produce more gear than the armed forces are using. Surplus is being doled out to various police forces throughout the country. If you've got it, it must get used, so the theory goes... Armed personnel carriers in Ferguson MO (which is the same size as Port Moody)? Uh, yeah....
There's more but I'm busy...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece- that's the way I see it from afar as well.

The only kid I have that should be feared is the smallest. You watch, she'll be the one leading the charge against the zombie apocalypse.

Must be that Kessler blood.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just down in Burlington, Washington tonight. My sons just texted me how their SFU team just passed the mall on their way down for a game tomorrow and said the scene is just surreal and chilling. Cops everywhere as they stopped off at the Burlington Olive Garden. I told them it might be wise to not stay too long with this guy on the loose!

http://komonews.com/news/local/police-respond-to-possible-shooter-at-cascade-mall

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Police found 15 firearms inside the house. Blackwell, who is not legally allowed to own guns because of prior assault convictions, was taken into custody and charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and various firearms violations, according to authorities.

But no, y'all can't take away our 2nd amendment rights... Wonder who gave him the black eye?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

I don't share well either, but I usually keep my feelings to myself, because the alternative is having the missus cross her legs on me for a few days. Far more punishing than a few little bullets.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry those stats are not remotely close to accurate.

83 Gang drive by shootings? Maybe in the south side of Chicago last month. 68 domestic disputes (in Seattle alone?). 12 armed robberies/home invasions (per minute?). Who the hell pulled that one together?

coolhead

Aug 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not defending the numbers, but the stats are for mass shootings where 4 or more people not including the shooter are injured or killed.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts