Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GSP vs Silva

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Silva beat Bonnar as expected and GSP beat Condit as most expected. So here's the big question, GSP vs Silva, yay or nay?

In my opinion we finally saw the old GSP on Saturday night, a GSP that wanted to win and finish a fight, not the GSP who just didn't want to lose. That being said I think the only positive for GSP fighting Silva would be his pay day. You have a smaller, less talented GSP vs Bigger badder Anderson Silva. GSP's only chance would be taking Silva down and keeping him there, if he were to stand with him he would be KO'd within 2 rounds. Legacy's are on the line for this fight and I only see the UFC winning with this one. If Silva wins its expected as usual, if GSP wins, what does that say about Silva crushing everyone in 2 weightclasses then losing to a guy in a lower one? That being said, don't think for a minute I wouldn't be glued to the tv set in anticipation for the greatest fight the UFC has put on to see who wins. GSP vs Hendricks is a great match up with Hendricks massive power and strong wrestling, I think that would make a great fight and I would rather see Silva vs Jones. What's your guys take on the Superfight?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't see where this fight is a good idea for GSP. Great for the UFC and Silva.
Silva openly says he doesn't want to fight Jones, thinks he is to early on in his career to deserve to have Silva as a notch on the belt and potentially make his legacy better then Silvas. However that's the fight that makes sense and everyone involved in UFC knows it. To say GSP is less talented is comical in my opinion, he wasn't born with knockout power but has found ways to become incredible at every aspect of martial arts to dominate. I just don't like the thought of Silva getting a hold of his neck and throwing those knees Franklin got to see.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't see where this fight is a good idea for GSP. Great for the UFC and Silva.
Silva openly says he doesn't want to fight Jones, thinks he is to early on in his career to deserve to have Silva as a notch on the belt and potentially make his legacy better then Silvas. However that's the fight that makes sense and everyone involved in UFC knows it. To say GSP is less talented is comical in my opinion, he wasn't born with knockout power but has found ways to become incredible at every aspect of martial arts to dominate. I just don't like the thought of Silva getting a hold of his neck and throwing those knees Franklin got to see.
I suppose I wrote it wrong, and I take nothing away from GSP and everything he does and can do, how he dominates everyone at everything, is more than amazing, just watching Silva dodging punches like he's in the Matrix and throwing knock out kicks and punches like a walk in the park is really unlike anything we have seen before. However there is nothing more I would love to see than GSP beating Silva, but I have to be realistic and I just don't see it happening. The only person who can beat Silva imo is Jon Jones.

elbowroom

Oct 26, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I the post-fight interview GSP said he weighed 185 max and Silva would be around 225-230. GSP would only take the fight if Silva dropped to 170. My guess he would probably still weigh 210-220 when he walked into the ring. Not fair...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I the post-fight interview GSP said he weighed 185 max and Silva would be around 225-230. GSP would only take the fight if Silva dropped to 170. My guess he would probably still weigh 210-220 when he walked into the ring. Not fair...

There would be a weight difference, but not as big as GSP leads you to believe. GSP does not weight 185 max. He is more than that. And Anderson does not come in at 220 pounds on fight day. That would mean he puts 35 pounds on after weight in. He only weighted 202 on at weight against Stephan Bonnar, and that was after putting on some weight to fight at a higher weight class.

There would probably be about a 8 to ten pound difference max. Anderson when he goes put to 205 easily gives up ten pounds to the bigger fighters.

Bottom line is we all want to see tho fight. Anderson is willing to do a catchweight fight as well. So the weight variance would even be less.

This is why guys like BJ Penn are warriors. They go up in weight class and give it a shot. Look at small BJ Penn was when we fought GSP. Anderson has gone up to 205 and fought some big 205'ers. Franklin and Bonnar are very big 205'ers.

Bottom line is if GSP does not want the fight, that is his choice. To be considered pound for pound best in the world, you need to get out of your comfort zone,

Anderson has done it, BJ Penn has done, Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans, even guys like Cain and Fedor are fighting at a much bigger weight class. Look at the weight difference between Brock and Cain. It was huge.

Look for Anderson to fight Jones soon as well. Another point, GSP is almost seven or 8 years younger than Anderson as well. That is important to note as well.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interview with Anderson's trainer before a fight at 185:

"Anderson is only two pounds overweight, so now we are ready to consider the rest," said Camoes. "On Friday we will have a meeting with the doctor who takes care of his body to see how best to cut what remains, but he is very strong, with a job well done and a very good power. He usually trains at 93kg (205 lbs), cuts to 84kg (185 lbs), and then fights at about 90kg (198 lbs)."

GSP easily fights at about 190 to 195 so the difference is not huge.

According to his trainer:

After GSP steps on the scale on Friday afternoon and weighs in at 170 lbs., his team will give him a carbohydrate-laden recovery drink. Then, he will eat normally and drink water to rehydrate. He'll weigh around 192 lbs. by the time he steps in the Octagon

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Silva will be 230 at fight time to GSP 190....

Thats near 3 weight classes different

White needs to make Jon "no show" Jones pay for pussing out against Sonnen and fight Silva..

Love to watch that fight

Silva would dance around for 2 minutes then knock his ass out

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just don't want to see the new GSP back to the old GSP after Silva KO's him. Where he just goes for points and not to lose, he was becoming Jon Fitch like the past few years, with no real excitement. I'll be routing for him though. Jones vs Silva is the ultimate super fight or Mr.Base vs Spellcheck.

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
hahahah remember when Roy Jones Jr fought Mike Tyson?

it wont happen

and at the end of the day

silva could probably take out jds, he should be stepping up and taking on jones , not a 5' 9 170 lol gsp - asides from the money involved, it makes no sense

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interview with Anderson's trainer before a fight at 185:

"Anderson is only two pounds overweight, so now we are ready to consider the rest," said Camoes. "On Friday we will have a meeting with the doctor who takes care of his body to see how best to cut what remains, but he is very strong, with a job well done and a very good power. He usually trains at 93kg (205 lbs), cuts to 84kg (185 lbs), and then fights at about 90kg (198 lbs)."

GSP easily fights at about 190 to 195 so the difference is not huge.

According to his trainer:

After GSP steps on the scale on Friday afternoon and weighs in at 170 lbs., his team will give him a carbohydrate-laden recovery drink. Then, he will eat normally and drink water to rehydrate. He'll weigh around 192 lbs. by the time he steps in the Octagon

So Silva weighs in at (185) but fights the next day at (198) = +13 pounds
GSP weighs in at (170) but fights at (195) = +25, seems real reliable,:rolleyes:

Have a look at the two fighters, GSP is not even close to his size on fight day. I do respect BJ Penn but he was stepping up to fight GSP a bigger fighter who has no knock out power. Not all that risky, compared to fighting a way bigger fighter who has knocked out 205 pounders handily. I think its pretty obvious GSP doesnt want the fight. Dana white thinks he is going to make it happen.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be considered pound for pound best in the world, you need to get out of your comfort zone.

I assume by comfort zone, you mean weight class? That is ridiculous. If you have to fight out of your weight class to be considered this, I think you would then be saying "Extra Pounds for Pounds best in the world".

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I assume by comfort zone, you mean weight class? That is ridiculous. If you have to fight out of your weight class to be considered this, I think you would then be saying "Extra Pounds for Pounds best in the world".

Its not as simple as that....

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Point is, it is a almost meaningless statement that gets tossed around constantly as it can't be proven or measured.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pound for pound is a term used in combat sports such as boxing[1] or mixed martial arts[2] to describe a fighter's value in relation to fighters of different weight classes. As these fighters do not compete directly judging the best fighter pound for pound is subjective and ratings vary. They may be based on a range of criteria including "quality of opposition", factors such as how exciting the fighter is or how famous they are, or be an attempt to determine who would win if all those ranked were the same size. In boxing, the term was historically associated with fighters such as Benny Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson who were widely considered to be the most skilled fighters of their day, to distinguish them from the generally more popular (and better compensated) heavyweight champions.[3] Since 1990, The Ring magazine has maintained a pound for pound rank of fighters.[3] ESPN.com has a list for mixed martial artists.[4] Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao are examples of pound-for-pound top-ranked fighters.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pound for pound is a term used in combat sports such as boxing[1] or mixed martial arts[2] to describe a fighter's value in relation to fighters of different weight classes. As these fighters do not compete directly judging the best fighter pound for pound is subjective and ratings vary. They may be based on a range of criteria including "quality of opposition", factors such as how exciting the fighter is or how famous they are, or be an attempt to determine who would win if all those ranked were the same size. In boxing, the term was historically associated with fighters such as Benny Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson who were widely considered to be the most skilled fighters of their day, to distinguish them from the generally more popular (and better compensated) heavyweight champions.[3] Since 1990, The Ring magazine has maintained a pound for pound rank of fighters.[3] ESPN.com has a list for mixed martial artists.[4] Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao are examples of pound-for-pound top-ranked fighters.

Thanks Cliffy for the derivation. It is still a useless metric.

"Pound for Pound". Obviously, we are talking about a weight measure since it occupies 2 out of the 3 words. Reading into the meaning, it is trying to show who is the best fighter without taking into consideration weight. But, you can't do that. Lightweights are way faster than heavy weights. But heavyweights can take (and deliver) a way bigger punch. Guys in the middle seem to have the best of both side - speed, strength, knock out power.

So, forget the reference to pounds, and why not say, the best fighter based on all-round skills and strength or something more meaningful?

On a related note, being a welterweight in life (and as it applied to sports: soccer/rugby), I always was up against guys way bigger than me. Most of my soccer career was going up against Firemen and others who were half a foot taller, and 30-50 pounds bigger. Yes, I made up for it in speed, but I had to do my best to match for physical strength as well. Going into a big 50-50 with Marty Etheridge just seemed a little unfair (and worse on the rugby field). I had always thought, what if I was 6'10 and 320 lbs, yet still my welterweight body size? I would clobber Marty's ass like a frat boy on his first party at Neighbor's bar. just maybe I was the pound for pound greatest ever? But then, maybe not . . .

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If an Ant was my size he'd crush me...but he's not... so he can't...and I step on him.

Pound for Pound arguments are like Sucking Tit through a sweater...your tongue gets numb before anyone gets anywhere.

If GSP and Silva had the same body mass, flexibility and such it would be a great fight. GSP is more technical, Silva is more Exciting- style wise.

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

I'd prefer (for excitement's sake and the health of GSP) to see Silva v Bones than Silva v Georges...even at catchweights.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
After reading a lot of articles on this, a few guys make very good points. Silva weakest point is his take down defense yet GSP is the best wrestler and has the best take down percentage in the ufc. GSP also is the best at passing guard. Silva is not as quick as GSP and GSP keep his distance,when people kick or punch he takes them down and is the best "game planner" in the business. Although Silva has better knock out power and size, the odds are not stacked super high in the spiders favor. At this point he is only a 2-1 favorite which is one of the smallest odds he has had since joining the UFC and I actually think GSP has more of a chance when you look into all the numbers and stats (although those don't always mean a lot) I'm definitely starting to take off the negative glasses, when it comes to this fight, just because I don't wanna see GSP's career screwed by a Silva KO. But there are far more things worse than getting KO'd by the best of all time (insert Matt Serra) This is a legacy fight and nothing more, it takes nothing away from the greatest Middleweight Champ or Welterweight Champ we have seen to this point.

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hendrix is probably the heaviest hitter 170 has ever seen, His wrestling is only 2nd to GSP. That will be the next fight for GSP is Diaz takes the Koscheck fight.

Silva was a kid when he made 168 in japan. He wont be coming down to 170 to fight GSP. If by some miracle( Dana shakes a 10 million $ check in front of him) he goes for it and agrees to it, he will not be the same fighter and would be too weak and depleted. Think GSP dropping to 155. Just not healthy and wouldnt happen

Ive given up on the GSP Silva idea. It just wont happen. I like Silva vs the top guys at 205 better.

Ill be worried for GSP if they give the shot to Hendrix next, If it's Diaz, GSP puts on another wrestling clinic.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts