Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GSP takes infinite break, relinquishes title.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
All comments from MMA Weekly.

The smoke swirling around UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has finally cleared… somewhat.
It may not be exactly what anyone wanted to hear, but St-Pierre is relinquishing his UFC welterweight championship belt. But, he’s not retiring, not yet anyway.
In a Friday conference call with the media, St-Pierre revealed that he is taking some time for himself and stepping away from the sport that he has come to dominate.
One of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, St-Pierre is still human, and as such, he has elements of his life that he wants to address. And that, he says, necessitates taking an indefinite leave of absence from the fight game.
Retirement rumors began to swirl in the weeks leading up to his UFC 167 fight against Johnny Hendricks. St-Pierre won a split-decision victory over Hendricks, causing controversy in and of itself. GSP didn’t retire following the fight, but his comments fueled even more controversy, when he said he needed to walk away from mixed martial arts for what he referred to as “a little bit.”
“There was a lot of talk about what is going to happen,” St-Pierre said at UFC 167, standing in the middle of the Octagon after his main event fight. “I am going to hang my gloves up for a little bit and make sense of my life. I have to go away for a little bit at least. Personal things are happening.”
On Friday, he made the intended leave of absence official.
Not able to divulge a definitive timeline for how long he needs to step away for, and having fought just four times in the past three years, St-Pierre realized that he couldn’t expect the UFC to sit back and wait. Thus, he agreed to relinquish his belt.
“I’ve been fighting for a very long time, at a very high level,” said St-Pierre. “It’s a lot of pressure. I know that UFC is a business. They have to keep things rolling, so I vacate my title.
“One day, I may come back, but right now, I need a break… but I don’t want to make other people wait.”
In making his announcement, St-Pierre sounded as if the pressure of fighting at such a high level for so many years had just worn on him.
“I need to have a normal life for a little bit,” he said. “If I come back some day, I will be even better.”
St-Pierre heads into his sabbatical with a 25-2 overall record, and 19-2 in the UFC.
Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com as further details emerge.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that if I had his chance, the money he has made, I would call it a day before all I could eat was soup and pronounce vowels accurately.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He is one of the greatest fighters (not just MMA) of all time.

For a guy that talks about honour and class and respect he just oozes it- which is nice because with all the bluster and bravado in the fight world, he says what he thinks and feels and vice versa.

I'm not sure how I'd handle "winning" a fight like that, would I take a sabbatical and see how the contenders come after my vacated belt? Would I retire and have an asterisk beside my last fight in everyone's mind, yet go out the champion? or Would I take the rematch with Hendriks and risk becoming Ali 2.0?

The stats have shown his penchant for eating punches in his last three/four fights. Without looking back on his record, I'd submit to you off the top of my head that his UFC 100 fight against Alves was the last time he went into a fight and dominated and avoided taking a faceful of blows.

That all being said- Fighters, like NFL Running Backs, don't age gracefully... GSP is a pretty old 32 years old, and it's been a rapid descent, he was probably a pretty young 29 or so 3-4 years ago...his recent 5 fights he's taken over half his punches from a report I read not long ago, that ages you quickly. He's been active for close to 15 years? In the UFC a decade or so... That's not like some of the other "older guys"

Good luck to GSP for whatever his future holds.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts