Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Group E

Who will win this group?

• Germany

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Saudi Arabia

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Republic of Ireland

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Cameroon

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
rumour mill.......

Rumour has it over here that The News of The World is running a story on Sunday about the fact that Keano has been carrying on with another woman and that he wanted to fly back beforehand to try and put out some fires chez casa Keane. His wife has told him to piss off and it all became too disruptive an influence over his side's preparations for the WC.

Sounds a bit more plausible than him objecting to their accommodation and training facilities.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From 8-1 to 100-1

That is the change in Ireland's odds to win the World Cup.

I am an Ireland fan but 8-1 with Roy Keane and none of the B.S. that has come with him.
Keane is a great player, but does he make Ireland that much better and that great a chance to win the Cup.

Hey but if the training ground field was that hard, and wasn't cut like Wembley, then I'm fukcing going home.

Will he be able to show his face in a Pub in Ireland any time soon.

Captain, so sorry about the team, but put some money on the 100-1 odds.

HOSwon'ttrainonHardPitches:rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I knew he was a bastard through all of this, but jeez -- talk about acting like a fcukin' child.
'A few years back in America, when we played in the US Cup, there was an argument between us when Mick was still captaining the team,' said Keane.

'A few of us got drunk out there and Mick had a go at us on the team bus. I turned round and told him where to go.

'In those days he was always sitting next to Jack Charlton and the lads joked that he was just after the manager's job.

'But Mick's last words to me following the altercation were: 'I'll get you back some day. It may not be now or even next week.'

'Eventually, this week, I feel he has got his revenge. I really do.'

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
groveller....

Roy Keane is going on Irish telly tonight at 8:30 to apologise to his teammates and, in particular, his manager for his shocking behaviour. He wants back in and the pressure from the Irish nation will be immense for him to be allowed back into the fold. It wouldn't surprise me if Mick McCarthy resigned over this. That's a lot of pressure to put a Yorkshireman under.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't kid yourself...

Think about it a minute. Before last nights 'I'm sorry' interview on TV, Keane was widely perceived as the wrong doer in all of the recent goings on in the Irish camp. He was regarded as a spoilt brat prima donna by just about everyone. Even the Irish people were pissed off at him. So why the sudden change of heart...enter the Manchester United marketing department, as well as Keane's agent, I imagine. My guess is Fergie has had a chance to get in Keane,s ear abit. Damage control at its best my friends. Keane goes with official apology line and large percentage of people love him again. He immediatly goes from prima donna brat to loveable Irish rascal with a bit of a temper that got the better of him. By doing this last night Keane has put himself in a great position. The balls now firmly in McCarthys court.He basically has 2 options. Continue with the present stance of 'No Keane', or invite him back, accepting his apology. Either way McCarthy loses the battle. If he doesn't get Keane back in and Ireland fail to move on in the tournament he'll be vilified back home. Invite him back and Keane makes him look stupid and he loses all respect he ever had as a manager. And all the time its just the Man United big wigs calling the shots. Brilliant Fergie.

For what its worth, McCarthy should stick it out without Keane and get the squad through to the next round. Its his only chance.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All up in the air???

Hmmmmnnn...
(www.skysports.com)
An emotional and hurt Roy Keane has bared his soul on national television and admitted that he wants to return to the Republic of Ireland World Cup party.

Speaking in a sensational interview broadcast on Irish TV channel RTE that is sure to have reverberations on the other side of the world, Keane revealed he would still 'love' to take part in the finals.

The 30-year-old willingly walked away from the Irish camp in Saipan last Thursday after being sent home for verbally attacking coach Mick McCarthy in a clear-the-air team meeting.

But Keane believes that 'maybe there is a way' he could complete one of the most amazing U-turns in World Cup history - though he added his 'conscience is clear' regarding last week's outburst.

Asked if he thought there was a chance of reconciliation, he said: "There are kids in Ireland, there are people in Ireland - my family were supposed to travel and it all got messy. It's hurting me, of course it is.

"Maybe there is a way, who knows? The World Cup is the most important thing in my life, it really is. I want to play for Ireland. There's nobody who wants to play for Ireland as much as me. This is what it's all about playing in World Cups."

The Manchester United captain may have opened the door for a return to Japan, but he intimated that any initiative has to come from McCarthy and the Football Association of Ireland, thus a dramatic reappearance in the Far East remains unlikely.

Nevertheless, the onus - and spotlight - is now thrust upon McCarthy to accept the gesture and recall the inspirational midfielder in time for the opening Group E clash with Cameroon in Niigata - or stand by his decision and risk incurring the wrath of the Irish nation.

Keane's remarkable change of heart will have come as a shock to supporters, players and members of the Irish coaching staff following his fiery outburst upon landing back in England last Saturday.

"There is absolutely no chance of that (returning to the World Cup) happening, never in a million years," he said. "I have been hurt too much by what has happened, let down by so many people within the Irish camp.

"People are saying it is up to me to apologise. That's very funny. I think it should be the other way round. I won't be going back to Japan. Maybe, just maybe, there is a slight chance I could play for Ireland again once Mick McCarthy is no longer the manager."

McCarthy has been equally adamant that Keane is out of his plans for good. "Roy Keane is history now. He will never again get the chance to talk to me like he did last Thursday. No human being will talk to me like that again."

Last Updated: 27 May 2002

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
prediction

Tonights game between Ireland and Cameroon ends in a tie.

Question:
If Ireland gets blown out tonight and McCarthy wants to bring back Keane for the next game, Is it legal?
What I'm asking is at anytime could a player return to a squad if his name is on the roster?
I assume the answer is yes.

Does anyone think this might happen if Ireland gets beat badly or has Keane's spot been filled already?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So far, I like what I see. Klose's train is still on the tracks -- another goal to stay atop the golden boot race. And the rest of the team is doing a great job of moving the ball from back to front. Also, Kahn is looking sharp as a tack -- superb!

Nevertheless, Ireland is still doing well to cause a bit of trouble here and there. Germany can't afford to sit back and protect the lead.

On another note, the Irish players have this strange habit of making an arcing, dolphin-like motion with their hands, each time they hack someone down. I can't understand what this means. Is it some sort of Irish cultural tradition?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain's wet dream.

Absolute crap.

Did Rudi take a page out of the Bayern handbook? Total crap -- you play to protect a lead and it'll bite you in the ass, everytime. Germany's not going to go far this way.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuking magic...........

Robbie Keane in the final minute to get another well-deserved point for the micks. They fcuking earned this one too and the ugliest team outside South America were lucky to escape with anything.

That dolphin sign you're on about is a little-known Croatian justice system gesticulation.

Probably.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good question.....

On another note, the Irish players have this strange habit of making an arcing, dolphin-like motion with their hands, each time they hack someone down. I can't understand what this means. Is it some sort of Irish cultural tradition?

Yes, it is an ancient Celtic example of foreshadowing. In this case, if you look carefully(although, you're German so you wouldn't understand, but I do) the dolphin-like motion was foreshadowing the introduction of Niall Quinn and consequently an injury time equalizer. At the end of the day, it is all about angles and not being as ugly as the German team.

I only saw the last 20 minutes, thanks to me thinking the game was tomorrow. The German's were trying the old sit-back and defend routine which obviously back-fired.

Slan Go Foill

Captain

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can take the German out of the U-Boat but you can't take the U-Boat out of the German.

DIVE!! DIVE!! DIVE!!

ginger tours

Apr 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stolen From A Daily Email On The World Cup

IRISH TIMES

Kashima stadium, where Ireland played the Germans last night, is in a funny old part of the world. Ibaraki
prefecture (the Japanese equivalent of a county) is highly industrial, and Kashima itself is like a town in the American dust-belt; all dusty convenience stores, rusty neon signs and cheap low-rise housing which is only noticeably Japanese because the roofs are done out to look like Buddhist temples.

So to see this town in Nowheresville dripping in orange and green
yesterday was a very pleasant surprise. The Irish are the most
visible group of fans out in Japan and are probably the stupidest
too. Virtually everyone is in some kind of fancy dress - the trusty
ginger wig and football helmets being the apparel du choix - and
manufacturers of oversized Irish flags must be considering floating
on the stock market, they've been doing so much business.

Of course, there's not a hint of trouble, and not much sobriety
either, a combination that appears to have gone down well with the locals; almost every group of Irish fans seemed to have a Japanese hanger-on yesterday. Why the Irish have come out in much greater force than many of the other European qualifiers (they outnumbered the Germans by 5 to 1) is up for debate. Perhaps it's because they've been away from the World Cup for eight years, or - as one supporter suggested - it*s a bigger thing for a smaller country. That may well be true, but I reckon they just like wearing the wigs.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ginge,

It's because they are going through to the next round and you're mob isn't.

By the way, the last time the Japanese backed the Germans, things didn't go very well for them.

See 1941 - 1945

Hail Hail, the Tims are here!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simple really.......

SCENARIOS
A winner between Germany and Cameroon would win the group regardless of the other result. The loser of that match would advance as the second place team if Ireland lose or draw. If Ireland win, they would advance as the second place team and the loser of Germany-Cameroon would be eliminated.

If Germany and Cameroon draw, Germany win the group, assuming that Ireland do not win by a margin of eight goals or more.

If Cameroon draw and Ireland win by one goal, the second place team would depend on which one, Cameroon or Ireland, scored more goals in their final group match. If they score the same number of goals, then lots will be drawn to decide the second-place team.

If Cameroon draw and Ireland win by more than one goal but fewer than eight, Ireland qualify for the next round as the second-place team in the group.

If Germany draw and Ireland win by nine goals or more, Ireland advance as the group winners and Germany take second place.

If Germany draw and Ireland win by eight goals and score seven more than Germany, lots will be drawn to determine who wins the group and who finishes second.
EXAMPLE: Ireland win 8-0 and Germany draw 1-1: Draw lots

Group E

OFFICIAL RULES OF THE TOURNAMENT
Rankings in each group shall be determined as follows:
(a) greater number of points obtained in all group matches;
(b) goal difference in all the group matches;
(c) greater number of goals scored in the group matches

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their place shall be determined as follows:

(d) greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
(e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
(f) greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned;
(g) drawing lots by the Organising Committeee for the FIFA World Cup™.

Come on, Ireland.......Come on, Ireland..........

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Give him a whistle and yellow card and there's nothing he cannot do.

That had to have been the worst reffed game I've ever seen. Was that card stapled to his hand or what?! I hate to admit it, but there really wasn't much to talk about apart from the atrocious officiating.

No flow, too many whistles, and even more yellow cards. We all know who the star of this game was.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I couldn't agree more, Keeper. It was a fcuking horrible display of officiating. Could the officiating be getting worse as the games are getting bigger? I hope not. Anyway, Ireland destroyed the Saudi's today and are moving into the second round along with the ugliest team in world football.

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For what its worth, McCarthy should stick it out without Keane and get the squad through to the next round. Its his only chance

Well said, Gaffa. It's a done deal now........

BTW, fcuk Roy Keane. He is and always has been a cnut. He must be since he plays for Man. United.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, no. You're mistaken, Captain. England is in group F.

It's official: it was a record.
the game was marred by a series of stoppages as referee Antonio Lopez Nieto broke the record for the number of bookings in one World Cup match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts