Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Cup 2003

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Canada pulls another one outta their ass and upsets 18th ranked Costa Rica this morning 1-0.

Obviously a lot of money is being handed out as bribes whenever Canada plays in this tourney, there is no other plausible explanation for how they manage to always pull off upsets.

Great for the CSA I suppose that they can claim "progress", but why doesn't this "progress" show when the games really mean something, i.e., WC qualifying.

Personally, I can't stand the way Canada plays. There has been no progress in this department over the last 3 years. Sure there are some good young players being introduced into the fold but how long to you think Holger is actually going to keep them around? And if he does, can you honestly say that he'll encourage more of the skill shown by the second half sub Congonzalas (sp?)? $100 says no :rolleyes:

$100 also says that there are big headlines in tomorrow's papers about the great win, but no real breakdown about what transpired in the match, especially the superior skill and tactical abilities of the Costa Ricans :rolleyes:

~Regs.

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
just a thought

Regs,maybe we'll never be as good as any of these skillfull nations?
A good coach is not going to make our players that much better.
Unless our guys train together day in and day out for a couple of years,thier is no way in hell we will ever get away from this kind of football.
The USA program reallly took off when the players finally did'nt have to worry about money,and started training together daily.
Not that they do this now,alot of thier players are playing in some of the top leagues around the world.But they certainly get together a hell of alot more than this country does,and train together as much as possible.
Like I said,maybe we'll never be as good as these nations.

just a thought.
coach:confused:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
The States also went with collegiate players. They did not put in the stupid notion that in order to play for your country, you must be playing overseas.

This allowed the administrators to focus on the talent that was already here.

Why is there not a National 'B' team? A program that identifies home-based players that may have potential to play on the 'A' squad is something I've never understood. My personal belief is that there are many good Canadian players in the 22-28 year old range that given the proper environment and chance to show what they can bring to the table, can step up into our 'A' team.

This type of thing has been done before and continues today. A perfect example close to home is the occassional fraver valley player that gets picked up by a VMSL team :D

~Regs.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Institutes

I really feel that the way to go is to have institutes like the US has for their U-17, U-19, and Olympic program. They live, go to school, train together at these institutes across the country. They get the best coaching in the country and have Bruce Arena going back and forth to see the young talent.

With this buzz around the Olympics coming to Canada and a general feeling of support for amateur sports, it would be nice to see the CSA drop their plans of sinking millions into a stadium back east and sink that money, plus what ever money the government decides to throw at amateur sports, into something of this sort. This way, you can monitor their player's progress as well as establishing a philosophy that Canada severely lacks.

The French have Clairefontaine (Centre Technique du Football plus 6 others across the country. I was trying to find a link to it but everything I could find is in French) where the French clubs send their top teenage prospects during the week and where the National teams trains. Is the facility that the Olympic committees building up at SFU a Speed Skating track? It would be nice if they turn that into another indoor complex (full field) at the end of the Olympics and be the main centre for Western Canada. The players could take courses up at SFU and live on campus. UBC is another possibility. Pinetree Communitee Centre (Pinetree Senior Secondary, Douglas College and Communitee centreall in one complex) are near by behind Coquiltlam Centre. Players could live in "digs" with families up in Westwood Plateau.

Another idea that I would prefer is for the CSA to help establish more Charter Schools (schools that are centred around disciplines such as Arts, Science, Sports, etc..) or, what they're called in the US, Gifted Soccer School. Players, who qualify for these schools can train, play and study everyday with the better players in their district.

Much like private schools, the cost would be expensive (travel etc..) but with the proposed amateur sports funding bill, plus financial input from provincial soccer associations, cost "could" be manageable for regular parents like yours truly (if my kids ever get that far, of course!).

Most opposition to this comes from established schools. I would like to hear what the Captain and other teachers on this site feel about this. I think Burnaby North (South?) is a semi charter school. I wonder how it's working for them.

There are many complications with it.
How willing would clubs/district teams be giving up their best players? Would they put money forward to support acharter school in their district for the best players to represent them in league play?
A player get's cut. What happens to him? Where then does he go to school?
What age do we start at that will really make a difference?

Cheers

DJ

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good stuff, Jonesy.

The French have Clairefontaine (Centre Technique du Football plus 6 others across the country. I was trying to find a link to it but everything I could find is in French)

Scud could translate everything for us, so don't worry about it. :)

As for the Burnaby South program, it has hit a major stumbling block. They have changed the eligibility rules specifically to stop this sort of thing happening. Basically, the girls who have just signed up for Burnaby South who played out of district last year, whether it be CLUB or SCHOOL, is not allowed to play for the school. I don't know how much this will deter their aspirations but it certainly couldn't help, if they are trying to win a provincial championship. There have been many complaints already regarding this issue and I'm sure we're just the hearing the beginning of it. Personally, I see it being a big problem. Will we see basketball teams doing it next?

I would like to think with all the development programs going now, that the standard of our players should be getting better. Until the BCSA stops forcing their fcuking players to attend their School of Excellence:mad: , provincially at least, we are going to be stagnant. Players should be able to whereever they feel is the best place for them to develop. Once again, not having a real professional league is always going to be a huge detriment. The countries which do the best in the bigger international events (World Cup) all have established leagues with established reserve systems for their teams. We don't have that and until we do, I can't foresee a trip to the World Cup in my lifetime. At the end of the day, it really does come down to money, and we can't ignore that fact. The U.S. put money into their program in the early/mid 80's and they are now reaping the benefits for doing so.

As for the fcuking game today, what a fcuking disgrace. As Regs pointed out, Canada was outclassed over the field and it was truly rubbish watching that style of play. I know results matter more than anything at that level and HOsiek is doing a much better job than some of his predecessors but one can only handle watching this shite for so long. The only style worse than the men's team is the fcuking diabolical style of the women's team. It is a shame to waste talent because of a fcuking style/system implemented by a fcuking German and a fcuking Norwegian(Is Pellerin Norwegian?). I don't give a fcuk. He is promoting a cnuting awful brand of soccer and it hurts me to watch it, so I normally don't now.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
**** me, who cares? Canada (ap[parnetyly) won, and Regies' avatar's got great tits.

Beautey,.

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't hold back Captain, tell us how you really feel about Canadian soccer.:)

I didn't see the game today because : a) I didn't know it was on, and b) if I did, I would have had absolutely no interest in watching. I can't recall a decently played game by a Canadian side in over a decade. To make matters worse, who the hell are most of these guys? Oh well, there's always Scotland's team to fall back on. :rolleyes:

Costa Rica 18th in the world? That just reaffirms my belief that the world rankings make as much sense as Rangerforever ordering diet pop with his 4 orders of pachos.

As was mentioned above, a quality pro league is badly needed for the development of national players (unless of course you're Mike Sweeney, in which case you could just play for Squamish F.C.)

Silver Fox

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Costa Rican News Coverage

I didn't see the game but I just checked the major Costa Rican newspaper, www.nacion.com to see their view of the Canadian win over their 18th world ranked team.

My Spanish isn't good but the gist of the article seemed to be that despite Winston Parks missing the best opportunity at the 38th minute, the Canadian wall of defenders back of the ball, the GK Lars Hirschfield and our counterattack in the second half when Costa Rica couldn't control the ball was the difference in the game.

The reporter noted that despite Canada's technical limitations on the field, it is evident that Canada is learning, the team is disciplined and able to be physical and that players playing in Europe is helping this team.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello Rock-Bottom

Canada knocked out of Gold Cup

Canadian Press
7/16/2003

FOXBORO, Mass. (CP) - A disappointing Gold Cup ended for Canada on Wednesday when Costa Rica blanked Cuba 3-0, turfing the Canadians from the CONCACAF championship after the first round.

But Canadian coach Holger Osieck did not go quietly.

One more Costa Rican goal and Canada would have joined the Central Americans in the quarter-finals. It didn't come, prompting Osieck to suggest the Central Americans stepped off the gas so as to avoid helping Canada.

Costa Rica, Cuba and Canada all finished with 1-1-0 records in Group D but Costa Rica, ranked 18th in the world, finished first on goal difference ahead of Cuba. The 63rd-ranked Cubans tied No. 78 Canada on goal difference (both at minus one) but advanced by virtue of having outscored the Canadians 2-1 in first-round play.

Osieck, his staff and a half-dozen players watched from the stands as the other two teams in the group decided Canada's fate in a virtually empty Gillette Stadium.

In order to stay alive, Canada needed a Cuba draw or win, or a Costa Rican victory by more than three goals.

Things looked promising in the 77th minute when substitute Erick Scott made it 3-0 but the Central Americans offered little in attack after that and Canadian hopes fizzled.

Costa Rica entered the match only needing a win to secure a quarter-final berth. A two-goal victory meant winning the group, thus avoiding the defending champion Americans in the next round.

Osieck admitted later he held little hope the result would go Canada's way.

``The only expectation I had was that the Cubans could keep the score to a tie,'' he said. ``I knew in the very moment that Costa Rica scored the first goal that they would be good enough to go for the second and that would have been sufficient for them.''

Costa Rica hit the goalposts twice and was denied a penalty before Walter Centeno scored on a magnificent volley off a corner in first-half injury time. Substitute Steven Bryce made it 2-0 in the 72nd minute.

The Ticos outshot Cuba 15-4, putting seven shots on target compared to two for the Cubans.

The quest for a fourth goal was food for thought after the match.

``I didn't have any hope (of a fourth),'' said Osieck, ``because I knew right away it was a non-attacking pact between the two teams. The Cubans were through with that result and the Costa Ricans, they didn't want to go for the fourth goal. That would have meant they had helped us. And after what their coach had said in his frustration over the loss against us, I didn't expect any help from them.''

Costa Rica's American coach Steve Sampson, who had belittled Canada's style of play after his team's 1-0 upset loss to the Canadians to open the tournament, said his players did not pull their punches late in the game.

``Our players certainly wanted to score a fourth,'' he said. ``I think you saw that on the field. It wasn't like they were taking the ball in the corner and keeping it (to waste time).

``They were hoping to keep the ball and for Cuba to open up a little bit more in midfield so we could penetrate. We were still looking for the goal even at the end. I think our guys would have loved to score a fourth goal.''

Apprised of Sampson's explanation, Osieck said slowly: ``He is a guy who should think first (before speaking).''

But the Canadian men only have themselves to blame after digging a hole in a dismal 2-0 loss to Cuba on Monday that essentially killed their chances of advancing.

The Canadians misfired time and time again in front of the Cuba net and gifted the Cubans the second goal on a giveaway.

It was Cuba's first ever win in three trips to the Gold Cup - and their first victory over Canada in 28 years.

This represents Canada's earliest exit at the tournament since 1996. The Canadians won the competition in 2000 and finished third in 2002. They did not take part in the 1998 edition.

Costa Rica, runner-up in 2002, will play either El Salvador or Martinique in Saturday's quarter-final while Cuba tackles the U.S.

Finally, we've hit rock-bottom. Maybe changes can begin to get something going in the right direction. The last couple of Gold Cup Tournament results have just masked the problem. Hopefully they sort it out before WC qualifying... wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Here's an article about the mood in the Canadian camp after the loss to Cuba. I don't think Holger is well liked by his "Heroes". Also sounds like they had a production team following them documenting the tournament. Can't wait to see it.
:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Osieck, his staff and a half-dozen players watched from the stands as the other two teams in the group decided Canada's fate in a virtually empty Gillette Stadium.

In order to stay alive, Canada needed a Cuba draw or win, or a Costa Rican victory by more than three goals.

Things looked promising in the 77th minute when substitute Erick Scott made it 3-0 but the Central Americans offered little in attack after that and Canadian hopes fizzled.

It's good to see that only a half-dozen players were interested enough to see if they could go through. Where were the rest of the players? Hopefully drinking and getting shagged. Otherwise, disgraceful

As for offering little in attack, do you think the fcuking Cubans would not tighten up, especially knowing that a fourth goal would have knocked them out? For fcuk sakes, the team didn't deserve to beat Costa Rica and they fcuking lost to Cuba. Nice. For the record, Sampson is an arrogant cnut. Cheers.

Captain

P.S. After reading the article, you can't help but laugh. When it rains, it certainly does pour. :) The ball in the bucket while icing the toe was especially comical.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
revelation..........

``Our players certainly wanted to score a fourth,'' he said. ``I think you saw that on the field. It wasn't like they were taking the ball in the corner and keeping it (to waste time).

I've always wondered why teams (usually, but not exclusively sides that were, at the time, winning, my research has shown) took the ball into the corner and tried to keep it there.

And now I know thanks to the Canadian Press.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Osorno's golden goal gives Mexico Gold Cup crown
First Published: Jul 27, 2003

Daniel Osorno struck gold in the seventh minute of extra time, his golden goal giving Mexico the Gold Cup crown with a 1-0 victory over Brazil.

Osorno slipped past two defenders and then hit a drive from just inside the penalty area, beating Brazilian keeper Gomes and sending the crowd of 65,000 at Azteca Stadium into a frenzy.

"This was a miraculous win. We had suffered so much criticism that it is rewarding today," goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez said.

Mexico won the right to represent the CONCACAF region at the 2005 Confederations Cup, although that tournament's status is in jeopardy due to concerns over the crowded world soccer schedule.

Mexico showed some of their finest football of the past two years.

They attacked from the kickoff, taking advantage of a young Brazilian side who looked exhausted.

Luis Perez had the first scoring chance in the 12th minute with a shot which forced Gomes to make a fine save.

A poor clearance gave both Jared Borguetti and Perez additional chances in front of the net.

Mexico's Jesus Arelleno then rattled a shot off the crossbar, and Brazilian defender Alex came to his side's rescue when he cleared Perez's kick off the line in the 34th minute.

Borguetti almost capitalized in the 89th minute when he pounced on a poor clearance in the Brazilian penalty area but was unable to take his chance.

For all that work, Mexico couldn't make the breakthrough and drew boos from the impatient crowd.

Brazil's only significant attack came in the first half when Kaka sent a ball across Sanchez's goalmouth that just missed catching the far post.

Brazil played with an uncharacteristic seven men in defence, a concession to a demanding schedule that had seen them edge the United States 2-1 in extra time on Wednesday in Miami, Florida.

The United States took third place on Saturday with a 3-2 victory over Costa Rica.

Mexico claimed their fourth Gold Cup crown, after victories in 1993, 1996 and 1998.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Note that the Brazilian squad was actually their U-23 team... could you imagine if Canada sent theirs? Actually, that's probably not a bad idea. Couldn't do any worse than the shoc-king performances put on by the National team :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts