Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Global Warming

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Global tv ran a story this morning about the heat wave in india, 48 celsius in new dehli. Lots of farm fields are drying up. Not surprising that people want to come here.
exactly none of that is new, or has anything to do with global warming.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
exactly none of that is new, or has anything to do with global warming.
Wrong, there are new aspects. BBC reports New Delhi hit a record high of 49.2. The Indian government is reacting with a new measure, stopping the export of wheat.
I agree that india normally gets high temperatures, but the country set records this year, hottest month of march and highest daily temperatures in some locations.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong, there are new aspects. BBC reports New Delhi hit a record high of 49.2. The Indian government is reacting with a new measure, stopping the export of wheat.
I agree that india normally gets high temperatures, but the country set records this year, hottest month of march and highest daily temperatures in some locations.
they should probably get off coal and onto a cleaner form of energy, like say, i dunno, oil or natural gas...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the latest from the World Meteorological Association.
"Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)."

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the latest from the World Meteorological Association.
"Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)."
200.gif

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reading Mktb and PV going back and forth brings back memories of my last boss (Evangelical Christian Right Winger). Despite having a masters in RF Engineering, he believes in the magic tooth fairy in the sky and that Global Warming does not exist (he later modified it to existing, but not because of mankind). My closest friend in life is also an engineer, but deals with mega water systems/sewers and as such must forecast 100 year storms and other stuff like that. He is completely informed on global warming, data, and should anyone actually look behind the curtain, yes, mankind is very responsible for it, along with God's will. I hooked the two of them up only to witness my boss quoting the one and only engineer from Australia who says it has nothing to do with man, and my friend refuting it. Instead of countering my friend's data and evidence, he just kept tangenting to different aspects (much like he did when Trump vs Clinton debates were going on - "oh yeah, well what about . . . ")

Anyhoo, while it is interesting to watch Mktb goad PV and PV fall for it, I honestly hope Mktb isn't in the same camp as my old boss. It is just hard to figure, especially if Trump or your preacher isn't telling you what "the truth" is.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is perhaps the problem with any discussion on the internet; it seems to inevitably devolve to binary, all or nothing propositions.

I'm not a climate change denier, nor do I deny that humans are part of the problem. What I deny is the catastrophizing, authoritarian nonsense coming out of the tree-hugger camp. They are no better nor any more helpful than the flat earth society, yet they pathalogically stake out the highest of moral highground on the issue. Charlatans, the lot.

Logic and facts please. If our one planet is as interconnected as they say (one of the few points I accept completely), then it stands to reason that getting China and India off of coal would be slightly more helpful than forcing me to drink my kale smoothie through a paper straw. There's a reason Greta doesn't go to these places - she knows what will happen if she starts preaching there. And speaking of, forgive me for noticing that her clean boat stunt required the return crew to be flown to their starting point, such that the carbon savings touted from the original trip were completely swallowed up.

Let's have a fair-minded, nuanced discussion about what we can actually do to clean up our act. What's maddening to me is that the obvious solution - MORE oil and natural gas - would not only be a net gain to the planet, but would fill the coffers of our governments such that we could actually afford the myriad of social programs the very same people throwing tantrums about the planet want us to provide! And that doesn't even begin to talk about nuclear - which is extremely safe and - contrary to the tree-huggers - extremely clean.

Some of that money should also go to investing in green energy that's actually scaleable. For all of PV's lectures, we are decades away from being there. PV and I have lined up on the same side of the soccer wars; he's a very smart guy and I suspect he well knows this reality.

I really don't think any of what I've said above is particularly "climate denier", but if others disagree then so be it...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...us-presidential-memo-predicted-climate-change Politicians have been warned about climate change for at least 45 years.

Some of you have rightly pointed out that China and India also need to do their part, get off coal. I read an article a couple days ago that India just reiterated its request for $ from developed countries to help it adapt to climate change (meaning new water systems, etc,) but not to switch from fossil fuels to renewables.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps have been able to recruit players from South America recently, Cubas, Dajome, Caceido, Godoy and Vite. Should be able to recruit from Spain and Portugal soon.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, it's the height of summer. It's hot. Bet it gets cold between November and February, as a rough guess...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Temperatures are rising and yet Trudeau is building a new tar sands pipeline and cutting trees and removing wildlife habitat in the process. Right now they are trying to clear a wetland near Bridal Veil Falls. I am part of a group of volunteers trying to get them to go around the wetland or drill under the wetland to save the trees and the wildlife habitat.
Here is a petition I started this weekend. Please sign.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is no "Tar" Sands. It's Oil Sands.
You sound like a moron. You can have legit concerns and arguments against the Oilsands, but your lot needs to stop misrepresenting the facts.

It's Oil that is too heavy to flow on it's own... called bitumen, mixed with... Sand and Water... not Tar (Asphalt)

I am in no way shape or form defending Trudeau. He and his government should've allowed ALL the energy projects to proceed asap, as private enterprise making up Canada's energy infrastructure.

The climate is changing, it's always changing. We in society should look to integrate more renewables into our grid, continue investing in energy storage, transition natgas and coal fired plants to hydro and nuke. We should be looking to cap the use on high mpg vehicles.

However, this transition will take decades! Better the oil come from Canada where we have environmental standards around flaring, water discharge, etc and labour laws that keep people safe and earning high wages. Venezuela, the middle east, and african oil producing nations cannot compete on the ESG side of energy production with Canada, the US and Norway.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny, you say "the climate is changing, its always changing" but then you say we should switch to nuke and hydro and we should cap the use on high mpg vehicle. Why do you believe we should switch to nuke and hydro etc? That's a pretty drastic change you are calling for.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny, you say "the climate is changing, its always changing" but then you say we should switch to nuke and hydro and we should cap the use on high mpg vehicle. Why do you believe we should switch to nuke and hydro etc? That's a pretty drastic change you are calling for.
Because it's cleaner and more sustainable.

We should advance our technology and innovate and iterate, but presently the policies of the ruling class in Davos and Brussels is to come back to the G20 nations and impose onerous climate/carbon taxes on the citizenry, and effectively block the urbanization and industrialization of developing nations so they can keep their gigantic carbon footprint galivanting around the world in their private jets and yachts.

Look no further than the current crisis in Sri Lanka. Sir Lanka has an ESG score of 98 from IMF/World Bank. The US has a 51. Their government banned the use of ammonia in their farming and they've had massive losses in crops yields and some farmers just shutting down the shop. It's caused an economic collapse.

Climate, along with Woke and all the other causes of the left/centre-left is completely a façade. Rules for thee, not for me. Without economy you have nothing.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Temperatures are rising and yet Trudeau is building a new tar sands pipeline and cutting trees and removing wildlife habitat in the process. Right now they are trying to clear a wetland near Bridal Veil Falls. I am part of a group of volunteers trying to get them to go around the wetland or drill under the wetland to save the trees and the wildlife habitat.
Here is a petition I started this weekend. Please sign.
Show me a measured approach that balances the need for development with the need for environmental sustainability. Then I'll sign on to "please consider a better approach" petitions. Until then, drill, baby, drill...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both of Johnny's comments hit it on the (blue)nose... PV you and your lot are completely out to lunch on this topic and the sooner our politicians listen less rather than more to you the better off we will all be.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Show me a measured approach that balances the need for development with the need for environmental sustainability. Then I'll sign on to "please consider a better approach" petitions. Until then, drill, baby, drill...
You mention a measured approach. How about Trans Mountain going around or under the wetland instead of through the middle.
Some members of the enviro groups wanted to block the roads. I encouraged a measured approach. Unfortunately the measured approach has not worked as the media have not reported on the issue.
I don't think the enviro will listen to me next time.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts