Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Global Warming

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please advise who is on the panel, and indicate what, if any, personal interests they have in clean energy projects generally. And by interest, I mean direct or indirect financial interest, primarily. That includes fat grants for further climate change research, to be clear.

Canada had appointed many scientists to the IPCC, including Dr. Sherilee Harper of the Uof A. Her area of specialty is the impact of climate change on Aboriginal communities. Had she received grants? undoubtedly yes Does that.mean she is biased? No.
Info on other scientists is available on the government website.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
it means she has a vested interest in keeping the gravy train rolling...

and to be clear, I see zero value to injecting identity politics into the climate change discussion (or anything for that matter). Indigenous and the climate, gender and the climate... don't really think a divisive approach is what's needed if we are trying to protect our shared planet...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
it means she has a vested interest in keeping the gravy train rolling...

and to be clear, I see zero value to injecting identity politics into the climate change discussion (or anything for that matter). Indigenous and the climate, gender and the climate... don't really think a divisive approach is what's needed if we are trying to protect our shared planet...
We don't have details about the contracts. Maybe the money was used to pay for research students and their travel costs. Need more facts before making accusations.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We don't have details about the contracts. Maybe the money was used to pay for research students and their travel costs. Need more facts before making accusations.
I also agree that this is the type of gravy train we need. Of course any report will be biased, by nature of the application itself, you know it will be biased. Doesn't matter. If one trusts the PHD process, and oaths, one has to trust in the system to allow this type of research to continue on the public purse strings.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Said the greenie.

In my world, facts lead to conclusions, but accusations can be made on the basis of rather less... in any event, there is a difference between having a vested interest and acting on it. I've accused her of the former, and I believe we can conclude that the former is true. I've not accused her of the latter, and we don't know enough to draw any conclusions on that point.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Said the greenie.

In my world, facts lead to conclusions, but accusations can be made on the basis of rather less... in any event, there is a difference between having a vested interest and acting on it. I've accused her of the former, and I believe we can conclude that the former is true. I've not accused her of the latter, and we don't know enough to draw any conclusions on that point.
Back to my point, show me any research paper where the author did not have a vested interest and intend on acting on it?

What am I missing?

Isn't this the very nature of the beast?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back to my point, show me any research paper where the author did not have a vested interest and intend on acting on it?

What am I missing?

Isn't this the very nature of the beast?
The point I was trying to make was more about the beast feeding itself. Lots of research gets funded on finite issues, yielding finite results, and then the researcher moves onto other topics within their general area of knowledge / interest / expertise.

Climate change is the quintessential "my research discloses that this is an indefinite and urgent problem that requires indefinitely funded further research". Uh-huh.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you watched Al Gores 'Inconvenient Truth' from 2006, half of Coastal America should be underwater by now plus other parts of the world. Love how they just throw dates and stats around.
Back in my school days they told us the pyramids would be gone by now becuase of Acid Rain.

Could there be any small chance that maybe the sun is to blame?

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The point I was trying to make was more about the beast feeding itself. Lots of research gets funded on finite issues, yielding finite results, and then the researcher moves onto other topics within their general area of knowledge / interest / expertise.

Climate change is the quintessential "my research discloses that this is an indefinite and urgent problem that requires indefinitely funded further research". Uh-huh.

Yeah, but those research dollars are mice nuts in the grand scheme of things, and still a necessity. It's what you do with it that matters on a forward basis, that's where the politics truly get dirty.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The dagger: "... the physical capacities of oil, natural gas and coal cannot be replaced by the low-punch energy density of renewables. Responsible analysts, politicians, insurers and investors need to recognize that fossil fuels will continue to be crucial to our energy needs and now also to our national security interests and those of our allies, be they in Europe, the United States or Asia."

About as pointed and accurate as this can be stated. If you combined all the "clean" energies that the world can harvest, it currently doesn't come close to replacing the fossil fuels. Maybe one day, someone will develop a Superman technology that enables fast, and copious conversion of sunlight into power, but we are nowhere near.

So.....what's wrong with Nuclear power again? Asking for a friend. :D

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, this is the type of analysis that greenies have absolutely no answer for...
Right on. Greenies have no political savvy. Imagine electing a transgender person as interim leader of the federal green party.
The federal conservatives did it right, picked a white woman as interim leader. She's no placeholder, not afraid to act on her beliefs. She has already changed the party position on carbon taxes.
She is a supporter of the "carbon shield "theory. She has seen carbon used in sports equipment so why not put more into the atmosphere to shield us from the sun.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right on. Greenies have no political savvy. Imagine electing a transgender person as interim leader of the federal green party.
The federal conservatives did it right, picked a white woman as interim leader. She's no placeholder, not afraid to act on her beliefs. She has already changed the party position on carbon taxes.
She is a supporter of the "carbon shield "theory. She has seen carbon used in sports equipment so why not put more into the atmosphere to shield us from the sun.

Yeah, and before that it was a black jewish woman, and i'm sure at some point it will be a two-spirit non-binary self-identifying toaster oven because "progressive".

The great irony, of course, is that once you get past the tree-hugging bit that party has a nasty, bigoted underbelly, as is clearly seen anytime you mention the word "Palestine" in their presence. Granted the Liberals relieved them of one of the worst offenders - flipping a seat mattering far more than their progressive agenda - but the fact remains that the Greens are wolves in sheeps clothing.

I don't know where you're getting that information from about Candace Bergen; as a member of that party I get plenty of emails from her and she's never said anything remotely like that. Incidentally, the carbon tax was a Conservative idea, originally. Must suck to be second to the tree... in any event, your singular focus on race is... troubling.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know what term has been conveniently forgotten in this whole Post COVID-19 "Awakening"? Reverse Racism, and Reverse Prejudism.

Most people agree racism directed toward ethnic minorities is not cool. Most agree prejudice directed towards the LGBTQ community is not cool. Yet, somehow, it's become VERY popular to label and discriminate against white people- white MALES in particular- whom have exhibited any sort of contrarian thought against COVID-19 Mandates. I've been labelled everything from an anti-masker (have never once not work a mask in a facility where it's required, or even outside where the landlord requires), an anti-vaxer (I have three fcuking jabs now, and do believe in effectiveness of vaccines), and straight up racists (well, many of you have met my very brown wife, and half brown offsprings, inside I'm actually browner than @Gurps). At our business, every employee is vaccinated because we encouraged it. But, as things have become stupid, I've also openly questioned the nonsense. Again, restrictions against cross border truckers (both federal governments) make absolutely zero sense. All this does is hurt EVERY Canadian in the pocket book. I even whisper how it doesn't make sense, and someone is all over me about, now, the Ukraine.

What?

There are all sorts of freedoms, and just because a country is now actively fighting for freedom from tyranny doesn't mean people in our country can't protest for freedom of speech, and freedom from mandates. One issues does not cancel the other, but that's what people want to do.

Freedom of speech is OK, but ONLY if it is in support of COVID-19 restrictions, not against. If it is in support, you can speak freely with your free speech all day long, post it anywhere on social media, and you will get support, and your post will stay up. Have the audacity to speak out against? You will be rediculed by the masses, unfairly labelled, and likely if you post to social media, deleted.

Long Live TTP, BTW.

Last edited:

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two local Greenies are on a hunger strike, one is in hospital after stopping drinking water. Meanwhile a greenie from Colorado self -immolated in front of the supreme Court in Washington. New tactics from the enviros.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
No mental illness here....so why should we be listening to these nut jobs??? Why do they even qualify to have a vote? or a say??

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts