Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Global Warming

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Global tv ran a story this morning about the heat wave in india, 48 celsius in new dehli. Lots of farm fields are drying up. Not surprising that people want to come here.
exactly none of that is new, or has anything to do with global warming.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
exactly none of that is new, or has anything to do with global warming.
Wrong, there are new aspects. BBC reports New Delhi hit a record high of 49.2. The Indian government is reacting with a new measure, stopping the export of wheat.
I agree that india normally gets high temperatures, but the country set records this year, hottest month of march and highest daily temperatures in some locations.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong, there are new aspects. BBC reports New Delhi hit a record high of 49.2. The Indian government is reacting with a new measure, stopping the export of wheat.
I agree that india normally gets high temperatures, but the country set records this year, hottest month of march and highest daily temperatures in some locations.
they should probably get off coal and onto a cleaner form of energy, like say, i dunno, oil or natural gas...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the latest from the World Meteorological Association.
"Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)."

akslop

Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the latest from the World Meteorological Association.
"Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)."
200.gif

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reading Mktb and PV going back and forth brings back memories of my last boss (Evangelical Christian Right Winger). Despite having a masters in RF Engineering, he believes in the magic tooth fairy in the sky and that Global Warming does not exist (he later modified it to existing, but not because of mankind). My closest friend in life is also an engineer, but deals with mega water systems/sewers and as such must forecast 100 year storms and other stuff like that. He is completely informed on global warming, data, and should anyone actually look behind the curtain, yes, mankind is very responsible for it, along with God's will. I hooked the two of them up only to witness my boss quoting the one and only engineer from Australia who says it has nothing to do with man, and my friend refuting it. Instead of countering my friend's data and evidence, he just kept tangenting to different aspects (much like he did when Trump vs Clinton debates were going on - "oh yeah, well what about . . . ")

Anyhoo, while it is interesting to watch Mktb goad PV and PV fall for it, I honestly hope Mktb isn't in the same camp as my old boss. It is just hard to figure, especially if Trump or your preacher isn't telling you what "the truth" is.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is perhaps the problem with any discussion on the internet; it seems to inevitably devolve to binary, all or nothing propositions.

I'm not a climate change denier, nor do I deny that humans are part of the problem. What I deny is the catastrophizing, authoritarian nonsense coming out of the tree-hugger camp. They are no better nor any more helpful than the flat earth society, yet they pathalogically stake out the highest of moral highground on the issue. Charlatans, the lot.

Logic and facts please. If our one planet is as interconnected as they say (one of the few points I accept completely), then it stands to reason that getting China and India off of coal would be slightly more helpful than forcing me to drink my kale smoothie through a paper straw. There's a reason Greta doesn't go to these places - she knows what will happen if she starts preaching there. And speaking of, forgive me for noticing that her clean boat stunt required the return crew to be flown to their starting point, such that the carbon savings touted from the original trip were completely swallowed up.

Let's have a fair-minded, nuanced discussion about what we can actually do to clean up our act. What's maddening to me is that the obvious solution - MORE oil and natural gas - would not only be a net gain to the planet, but would fill the coffers of our governments such that we could actually afford the myriad of social programs the very same people throwing tantrums about the planet want us to provide! And that doesn't even begin to talk about nuclear - which is extremely safe and - contrary to the tree-huggers - extremely clean.

Some of that money should also go to investing in green energy that's actually scaleable. For all of PV's lectures, we are decades away from being there. PV and I have lined up on the same side of the soccer wars; he's a very smart guy and I suspect he well knows this reality.

I really don't think any of what I've said above is particularly "climate denier", but if others disagree then so be it...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...us-presidential-memo-predicted-climate-change Politicians have been warned about climate change for at least 45 years.

Some of you have rightly pointed out that China and India also need to do their part, get off coal. I read an article a couple days ago that India just reiterated its request for $ from developed countries to help it adapt to climate change (meaning new water systems, etc,) but not to switch from fossil fuels to renewables.

Members online