Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Get A Fcuking Life

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Airline removes 'offensive' songs

The airline confirmed the songs had been removed from the in-flight play list
Irish state airline Aer Lingus has removed "offensive" music being played on an in-flight entertainment channel following a complaint by an Ulster Unionist assembly member.
East Antrim member Roy Beggs Jnr complained to the airline for what he described as pro-terrorist songs being included in a trans-Atlantic in-flight entertainment magazine.

Mr Beggs and an Ulster Unionist colleague were travelling on an Aer Lingus Dublin to Boston flight to speak at Harvard University, when they noticed in their in-flight magazine a channel dedicated to songs from ex-Wolf Tones folk singer Derek Warfield.

"We were shocked to read that this so-called traditional singer's repertoire was included in the in-flight entertainment section of what is the Irish state airline," said Mr Beggs.

The songs which caused offence included Ten Dead Men, Volunteers of Ireland, Patriots of Erin, Fenian Volunteers, and Fighting Irish.

"In this day and age when much is made of human rights and equality issues, we as British citizens were shocked to see this blatant promotion of militant, armed republicanism.

Even a cursory listen to the lyrics of the aptly named Mr Warfield, shows a glorification of murder and terrorism under the guise of Irish republicanism

Roy Beggs
Ulster Unionist MLA

"Virtually everyone in Northern Ireland knows some one who has suffered during the course of the Troubles as a result of the actions of the so-called patriots whom Mr Warfield celebrates in his hate-filled ballads," he said.

"I find it grossly offensive that such republican lyrics should be promoted by Aer Lingus to tourists, to those of us who live in Northern Ireland who may be considering using Aer Lingus, and to other British and Irish Citizens who fly from Heathrow to Dublin."

Mr Beggs complained to the airline about the songs and asked them to remove the offensive material.

A spokesperson for Aer Lingus confirmed that the songs had been played as part of the in-flight entertainment program but had been removed.

"We did receive a couple of complaints regarding the Derek Warfield songs but we had already initiated action to remove it from the program," she said.

Mr Beggs said he was pleased with this response but reiterated that he found it amazing that Aer Lingus had made such a mistake in the first place.

"Considering this was a trans-Atlantic flight to America and one remembers what happened on 9/11 and that the USA and its allies have declared a 'War on Terror', then this mistake is completely inexcusable.

"Make no mistake about it, even a cursory listen to the lyrics of the aptly named Mr Warfield, shows a glorification of murder and terrorism under the guise of Irish republicanism."

Things will never be normal when you have cnuts like this in the world. Fcuking stinking pieces of shite.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain:

To be fair you have to admit if you were an Ulster Unionist sittin locked in an airplane at 30,000 feet with say a plane full of Irish Catholices and you started hearing Republican songs over the plane's air waves you'd be crapping your drawers too.

To refresh your memory a wee bit. Here's what happened when a Republican band of which you are VERY familiar got into a prison holding Republicants and I quote
"In 1971 the Wolfhound was smuggled into Long Kesh (The Maze Prison) as a group from the Catholic Church, complete with assumed names. They played in Cage 4 and, as Danny Burns puts it “you should have seen the P.O.W’s faces when they realized who the 'church group' was. The Brits who were guarding the cage ran outside as soon as we got into the tunes and a riot ensued and shots were fired."

Now what could happen if they were singing one of these two songs with Ian Paisely on board?

Boys of the Old Brigade, The
Traditional
Oh, father why are you so sad
On this bright Easter morn’
When Irish men are proud and glad
Of the land that they were born?
Oh, son, I see in mem’ries few
Of far off distant days
When being just a lad like you
I joined the IRA.

Where are the lads that stood with me
When history was made?
A Ghra Mo Chroi, I long to see
The boys of the old brigade.

From hills and farms a call to arms
Was heard by one and all.
And from the glen came brave young men
To answer Ireland’s call.
‘T wasn’t long ago we faced a foe,
The old brigade and me,
And by my side they fought and died
That Ireland might be free.

When history was made?

And now, my boy, I’ve told you why
On Easter morn’ I sigh,
For I recall my comrades all
And dark old days gone by.
I think of men who fought in glen
With rifle and grenade.
May heaven keep the men who sleep
From the ranks of the old brigade.

When history was made?

Long Kesh
Unknown
There is a place just outside Lisburn
It´s a place that´s known to few
Where a group of Irish rebels
Are held by Faulkner´s crew
There are forced to live in cages
Like the inmates of Bellevue
But the spirit of 1916
Will always see them through

The men in this vile place
They come from far and near
Some from the Derry Bogside
And Omagh town so near
And some of them from Belfast
From the Markets and the Falls
From the narrow streets of Ardoyne
And all around Tyrone

On that black day in August
When Faulkner showed his hand
He thought that by internment
He could break our gallant band
But the boys from Ballymurhy
How they showed the way that night
How they thaught those English soldiers
How Irishmen could fight

Long Kesh it´s known to everyone
The system must be broke
Ardoyne, the New Lodge and the Falls
Will see the system choke
No more the Special Powers Act
The means will envoke
And Long Kesh will be the U stone
On which the system´s broke

A word now Irish people
No matter where you are
Remember our brave rebels
In Long Kesh this year
And by civil disobedience
Or any other way
We´ll make a stand until the day
Each one of them are free

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ian Paisley is the devil so that wouldn't bother me. A couple of great songs you posted though. Well done, Reccos.

TAL

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought you just posted this. Keeper added some dungeons link today so that is what drew my attention to it.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos said:
I thought you just posted this. Keeper added some dungeons link today so that is what drew my attention to it.

No, that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO two years ago. ;) Although, I still feel the same way surprisingly...... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts