Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier FVSL Premier 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw this on Twitter and cannot figure out the guys metrics at all. Rovers at 2 must mean high weighting for National Championship matches, but then CCB (who had a better VMSL season last year and also won Nationals) are much lower with Coastal at 3. The FVSL team being so high would indicate a higher weighting on league performance but then Rovers being at 2 makes little sense given a poor domestic season last year and toiling in fourth so far this season.

Anyway, an interesting idea to publish something like this.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw this on Twitter and cannot figure out the guys metrics at all. Rovers at 2 must mean high weighting for National Championship matches, but then CCB (who had a better VMSL season last year and also won Nationals) are much lower with Coastal at 3. The FVSL team being so high would indicate a higher weighting on league performance but then Rovers being at 2 makes little sense given a poor domestic season last year and toiling in fourth so far this season.

Anyway, an interesting idea to publish something like this.
Its all way, way out of my mathematical skill set... but if you're into staring blankly at a screen and saying what the F? like me, try this link.

https://northernstartingeleven.com/2020-elo-ratings-methodology/

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its all way, way out of my mathematical skill set... but if you're into staring blankly at a screen and saying what the F? like me, try this link.

https://northernstartingeleven.com/2020-elo-ratings-methodology/
Oh I've looked at it.

The game weighting is completely fcuked IMO. It gives a high weighting to games at Nationals that is almost three times higher than regular league play. Making qualifying for that tournament incredibly important for ranking points, ignoring the fact that most teams do not get there regularly. However, for teams that do get there on a regular basis (ie Manitoba's Winnipeg Lions who are ranked "first" in the country) it is possible to amass an inordinate number of points. Additionally, all placement games are weighted the same at Nationals, meaning that the championship match has the same weight for these rankings as the match for ninth place.

It also gives massive weighting to winning by large margins, so Coastal's regular pumping of lower calibre FVSL sides and Rovers complete demolishing of Campo last season explains how they have risen so high. I imagine it also explains how a team like Manatoba or Newfoundland's Holy Cross are so high. Given they are perennials at Nationals, I assume they regularly smash their local competition.

Anyway, overall a fun idea. However, hardly an accurate snap shot of where teams realistically stand. I would suggest altering the weighting of matches to make things more accurate with the gap between league games and Nations games being decreased. Perhaps just a flat "bonus" for qualifying for that tournament or something and then weighting the games similarly to the Provincial competitions as well as staggering the weights of placing games.

Don't suppose anyone is too overly concerned though...

That being said, the idea that NorVan is the 14th best team in the country ahead of Metro Ford, Peg and Rino's is pretty laughable. Hell, I'd back Abbotsford to beat them and Lakehill from the Island for sure.

Ronaldo. 07

Oct 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nor an
Oh I've looked at it.

The game weighting is completely fcuked IMO. It gives a high weighting to games at Nationals that is almost three times higher than regular league play. Making qualifying for that tournament incredibly important for ranking points, ignoring the fact that most teams do not get there regularly. However, for teams that do get there on a regular basis (ie Manitoba's Winnipeg Lions who are ranked "first" in the country) it is possible to amass an inordinate number of points. Additionally, all placement games are weighted the same at Nationals, meaning that the championship match has the same weight for these rankings as the match for ninth place.

It also gives massive weighting to winning by large margins, so Coastal's regular pumping of lower calibre FVSL sides and Rovers complete demolishing of Campo last season explains how they have risen so high. I imagine it also explains how a team like Manatoba or Newfoundland's Holy Cross are so high. Given they are perennials at Nationals, I assume they regularly smash their local competition.

Anyway, overall a fun idea. However, hardly an accurate snap shot of where teams realistically stand. I would suggest altering the weighting of matches to make things more accurate with the gap between league games and Nations games being decreased. Perhaps just a flat "bonus" for qualifying for that tournament or something and then weighting the games similarly to the Provincial competitions as well as staggering the weights of placing games.

Don't suppose anyone is too overly concerned though...

That being said, the idea that NorVan is the 14th best team in the country ahead of Metro Ford, Peg and Rino's is pretty laughable. Hell, I'd back Abbotsford to beat them and Lakehill from the Island for sure.
norvan has no chance against Abbotsford considering their 2 top goal scorers will be joining us before the transfer deadline tonight.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
norvan has no chance against Abbotsford considering their 2 top goal scorers will be joining us before the transfer deadline tonight.

Fake News. Norvan only has 1 top scorer and then a bunch of randoms tied on 2 goals.

In real news, Coastal strengthen their squad by picking up the top scorer from TWU. In the past those TWU guys would usually go to Langley wouldn't they?

Ronaldo. 07

Oct 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
U just proved my point to be c
Fake News. Norvan only has 1 top scorer and then a bunch of randoms tied on 2 goals.

In real news, Coastal strengthen their squad by picking up the top scorer from TWU. In the past those TWU guys would usually go to Langley wouldn't they?
u just proved my point to be right. Who cares about coastal they suck anyways. Keep the talk focused on real teams like Azad signing some quality players.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think anyone following the golden boot race and MVP selections could have made this list, but yes, I agree and think it's a great idea.

You can buy your "Dude Saved the FVSL" T-Shirts at SoccerCity. Ask for a guy named Dave for a 1.35% discount. Limited time and supply.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think anyone following the golden boot race and MVP selections could have made this list, but yes, I agree and think it's a great idea.

You can buy your "Dude Saved the FVSL" T-Shirts at SoccerCity. Ask for a guy named Dave for a 1.35% discount. Limited time and supply.
Who makes your final 11? Anybody snubbed on that list?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is about 6 or 7 goalies that could make that list and wouldn't look out of place.

There was 89 new posts and I can only find about 12 does that mean @Yoda is off peddling his smut someplace again?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I'm not the guy to ask that. I have a man crush on Hildy, so he has to be there, and hard to argue the two strikers from Coastal and Meers. The rest? They are mostly names on paper, except for good old Devon, who I got to play with when he came up, and I'm amazed is still making it happen in Premier as an outside back. Impressive, Devo!

I'd like to know @lfc4 's opinion on this.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I'm to pick a starting 11 from that list right now? In no particular order...

Nelles
Epp, Nair, Oneill, Donlad/(uppal)
Hildy Jr, Josan, Oneill, Amijee
Meers, Starheim

Missing - Reese Branion(ABBY), I think one of the GK's from Pomo could make a case. Miguel Hof (POMO) was terrific in the all-star game. A Late season run for Mark Talisuna (SFU/POMO) for sure and Nick Fussell (whitecaps/SUFF) who both joined mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts