Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FVSL League Improvements

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alright all you FVSL loyalists! Time to find your voice, and give the powers that be some ideas for how to make our league better. Being a proud "Fraser Valley Animal" myself, I thought it might be nice to create a thread with which the intent would be to offer constructive, respective feedback to our current leaders..........who view this forum regularly I'm certain, whether they choose to admit it or not. :)

Being the Thread initiator, I would be MORE than happy to offer the first bit of advice:D

This year in the FVSL Premier, there was somewhat more parody between the teams in the top half, and the league was treated to an entertaining finish for the Championship with PoCo, and PAU being tied in points going into the last game of the season. What an amazing opportunity for the league to gain some attention and finish well!!
I envisioned a well attended game, on a beautiful day where......at the end of the match, the league champions would be brought to centerfield and the Captain of the team would accept the prestigious Trophy and bring it to his team. Maybe a chance to parade it around the pitch as onlookers applauded. :) Well, maybe I'm expecting a BIT much, but it would have been easy enough for league reps (who attended the game by the way) to at least present the trophy that day with the excitement still fresh. Instead, bot teams left the pitch quietly.........and went to their own business in their own dressing rooms (one team sang more than the other :( )
In my opinion, the ball was dropped. How often does it happen where the top two teams are playing each other on the last game of the season, and the championship is still up for grabs??!! RARE indeed. Thoughts?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Skip…good idea!

Although, I think this should be under the General FVSL League heading, not just Premier.

First, I’d like to say that if there are any significant changes, it should not be w/ the executive. Bobby Brown is clearly in change, while Neil Fudge has done a ton of heavy lifting as Bobby’s right hand man. These guys deal with their fair share of bullshit on a day-to-day basis, but at the end of the year, I would have to say they did their part to make the league better. Leadership from this group continues to get better, and this year they took a firm stance on clamping down on discipline (despite a lot of bitching and moaning at the league AGM). The end result ended up being much cleaner play…no doubt because each team manager was damn sure to pass the message along about team fines on points, etc…

I also think they were fair, and swift with their punishment of Delta Metro after the shirt thrashing fiasco.

Along the lines you’ve alluded to, I too think the league needs to walk with a bit more swagger. We have a lot to offer in keeping good young players in the Valley. Our fields and facilities are the best, our clubs are well run, structured, and financially stable, and officiating is better than in the VMSL (in my opinion). Again, the officiating thing may be due to the hard stance the league has taken in discipline over the past few years. Having the league Championship come down to the last game was an opportunity that could have been seized for a bit of parading, and awarding the Cup to the Captains. The Pak and President’s presentations every year are a great time, and well attended.

One beef: the 7-aside was a major flop this year. If field times are the problem, they should run a divisional format tourney over the course of a week- including evening games- and return to the divisional playoff format they had before. That was a lot of fun, and a lot of team took it quite seriously because there is pride and bragging rights on the line.

I also would strongly hope they stick to a firm Promotion / Relegation policy. By all rights, Surrey United needs to be relegated. Aldergrove, but all rights will retain their spot, because their 1st div. Team finished high enough in the standings. Two out of the three teams ahead of then cannot be promoted because their club’s already have teams in the Premier.

Anyhow, that’s my 18 cents!

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cudos

DWMC,

That's the spirit! Great points on all accounts. I am in complete agreement with you regarding your comments towards BB and NF. Having had a few years of experience as a high school Athletic Director, I know all too well about the daily duties, and rigourous bullshit. I think, all in all, they've done a great job to make improvements to the league and keep things rolling well. My intent with this thread is NOT to bash our leaders, but rather to provide an opportunity for the players to assist in improving with constructive feedback. Many heads are better than one or two. I hope others find this thread and add to it.

BTW, What exactly WAS done with the whole Delta/Ranger jersey fiasco?

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
golden boot?

I know that in the VMSL, the league keeps tabs on the goalscorers (just like in the Valley), but they also post the "leading goalscorers" on their website. I've been in the Valley for a number of years now, and I've always noticed that players are always debating about who is leading the league in goals.

Now, the refs in the Valley go to the trouble of taking down each player who scores, then report it to the league organizers, who post the scorers each week on the FVSL website. What I want to know is that after going to all this trouble, why don't they include a list of the top scorers and update it as they go along. It seems like most of the hard work is done to report the weekly scorers, why not make this little adjustment.

I'd just like to know where I stand against the other strikers in the league......I think we all would.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: golden boot?

Originally posted by Sage
I know that in the VMSL, the league keeps tabs on the goalscorers (just like in the Valley), but they also post the "leading goalscorers" on their website. I've been in the Valley for a number of years now, and I've always noticed that players are always debating about who is leading the league in goals.

Now, the refs in the Valley go to the trouble of taking down each player who scores, then report it to the league organizers, who post the scorers each week on the FVSL website. What I want to know is that after going to all this trouble, why don't they include a list of the top scorers and update it as they go along. It seems like most of the hard work is done to report the weekly scorers, why not make this little adjustment.

I'd just like to know where I stand against the other strikers in the league......I think we all would.

Sage, I have made numerous comments regarding this to league reps and nothing seems to happen. I also suggested that the past winners of all the cups be posted along with scores and apponents. That would surely shut some people up on this board!:)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, What exactly WAS done with the whole Delta/Ranger jersey fiasco?

Exactly...can't remember now. I'm sure if we went back to the "Delta Shocker" thread, it is posted there. I do recall thinking, at the time, that the individual fines were the highest I'd ever seen in the FVSL (like $150 or $200 each given to two players), and there was a team fine as well...like another $150.00. I think the players also sat a couple of games each.

Anyhow, it seemed the general consensus was that punishment was swift- less than a week to rule- and fair.

I agree with the Golden Boot award...they should have one.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
all star team

the all star team selections should be posted on the FVSL webpage. Are they?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
who cares

the fraser valley team is fcuking not an allstar team ,just a team

div 1-2 metro could put a way better team together ,that that shite

even div 3-4 metro allstars would do better:rolleyes: :D ;)

Im not fcuking smiling either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
angry man

Sid,

what type of wine can you make with those sour grapes??:p

You no longer have anything to do with the FVSL. This is a FVSL improvement thread. Unless you have some words of wisdom on the topic..........go back to your grumbling nonesense elsewhere.

skipvotingsidasthemostannoyingTTPer

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PENIS BUTTER

SKIPPY!!!!!!!!! YOUR RIGHT,IM SORRY ,NO MORE TTPing, FROM ME BABY

DONT FORGET I BACKED YOUR LADS TO WIN THE CUP & LEAGUE

SID;) :eek:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The One Big Improvement for Next Year

Sid is gone from the FVSL!!!!
Now that has to be your league's best improvement!!!
Oh, but isn't he being replaced by a guy twice as dumb, the AU Razor??!!! Now there's an intellect for you! Dumb and Stupid!
Unfortunately, the IQ of the VMSL dropped by half with the addition of the STD/SID and his side kick, Peter Doyle. Oh well guys in the VMSL, hang on to your jock strap, Sid's here!!!

One thing about Sid though. He sets incredibly low standards, which he consistently fails to maintain.
:p :p :p :p

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
backed??

Originally posted by sid

DONT FORGET I BACKED YOUR LADS TO WIN THE CUP & LEAGUE

SID;) :eek:

Sidmand,

You predicted we would win the league and cup this year, you never backed us. There's a difference. Best of luck in the VMSL.

S

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In my past TTP rants & raves on the FVSL, I've stated that in the near future, I see more and more of the good, young players staying in the FVSL. I base this mostly on the foundation & benefits of playing here: a strong youth base, facilities, fields, coaching, strong league leadership & vision, and strong clubs.

What I haven't addressed is this: what needs to be done to encourage good, young players to stay in the Valley? I'm somewhat hoping we've found a bit of the solution at SFC, and a lot of it is owed to Peter Costly & Frank McCann. A lot of the kids that are finished with their college careers are coming back this season, as opposed to going elsewhere. I feel this is mainly due to Peter aggressively recruiting them to play summer ball with the club in the Knights league, and Frank keeping the door open. It also doesn't hurt that the Rangers have openly encouraged the club to build the premier program around the youth, instead of just playing premier ball themselves. Granted, as a club, we could still do a lot better on communicating with the players through the different teams, and offering to promote first from within. We still have our fair share of politics, but it has gotten a lot better than even two or three years ago.

I'm curious as to what other clubs do- especially clubs like Poco City and GEU who have youth feeder systems in place.

Here's your bone Skip- wax on!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Other teams recruit?

In the past GEU hasn't had a U-21 side, but this year we actually do have one in place with a very good coach(he should be coaching the Premier side)

Other then hoping that after they're done U-21 they stay in the club, the GEU coaches don't do any recruiting. As a matter of fact, the U-21's weren't even allowed to tryout with the Premier guys. What if one or two of those young guys was a freaking superstar? Alouette is another problem. They tend to try and recruit/poach a lot of our guys. This summer alone I know of three guys that were approached by Rex and his cronies. No worries though, they all decided to stay.

Looking forward to September 8th,

TheRob

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PoCo has a feeder system?

Dude,

Would be great if there was some incentive to keep the quality players in the FVSL. There just isn't any right now.

PoCo is just starting to realize that they have to look further than just the year ahead. PoCo Premier, Cat, Div 1 and 1 Div 2 team are all approaching 30 or over and youth is just starting to come. Is disappointing to see players from a squad like the PoCo Stallions not want to stay in PoCo in the winter season:mad: We had approched a few players and they all had interests in VMSL, mostly to play for VMSL Premier Cat teams.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
PAU

Originally posted by Dude-where'smycar?
Here's your bone Skip- wax on!

Dude,

Mind your own bone........and leave mine out of it!! :D

In all seriousness, PAU has been a bit of an anomally I think. In the past few years, the club (in large part the Premier team) has benefited from the wealth of Surrey United, and their inability to keep all of their players happy. A large faction of us have come from that club as they have expanded (12 mainstay priemer players currently). We are not a young team with the majority of our players in the late 20's - early 30's range with a few exceptions.
Our club does have a successfull feeder system in place though, with our CAT and Div. 1 teams. Both did themselves proud last season. We have brought some of the developing youth from those teams along with us to tournaments this year, and have also had them playing with us during the summer. We feel that they are gaining valuable experience, and will make contributions this season at the Premier level.
Peace Arch also has a good youth system in place. In fact, myself and a few other players have taken part in player evaluation camps this past spring to assist in identifying, and placing youth players.
Yes, some of us are enjoying the last few years of competetive playing now, but we are helping to develope young players to continue along the path. Only time will tell how it all comes out. Until then, a lot of good mates have been given a chance to play alongside one another in a great atmosphere (teardrop).

skipthepeacearchhistorian

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: PAU

Originally posted by Skip

Peace Arch also has a good youth system in place. In fact, myself and a few other players have taken part in player evaluation camps this past spring to assist in identifying, and placing youth players.

what's strange is that they picked you to evaluate players' skill........isn't that an oxymoron :D

Just kidding Skip......love you man ;)

OneankleSage

AU Razor

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alouette has a good youth & mens feeder system

In our club our men were involved with the try-outs for the youth some of our guys are coaching in the club now . We start our feeder system right from are U- 14 gold & metro programs & go all the way up to the mens programs.We have some very good players coming through our system we are also seeing how these players progress each year. We set up extra camps for players & goalies all through the winter months . Our proof of our system is going to be the young players that we've picked for this years U-21 team. They are a very talented group.
If only GEU & Poco City could figure out this concept they build for now & nver look into the future !:D

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
AU Razor

The way you coach you could have a feeder system the size of the whole FVSL and still not coach a team properly!!

Hey how's poaching? Ready to tell us (Sapperton) how many guys you signed that we are poaching? Reported us to the league yet for our big fine??

FVSL improvement: AU Razor and Sid to re-team at MF.:p :p :p

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts