Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FVSL Governance

dirtydiggler

Feb 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I recently was writing a cheque to the FVSL for one of the teams that I manage to pay for, in my opinion, a bullspit fine (which I could not find in the constitution) and began to wonder, where does the cash go? Further, I'm thinking where does all the cash paid to the FVSL for registration and fines go?

Lets do the math on registration alone - 113 teams x $1450 = lets call it $160,000. Of that $160,000 I'd assume the largest portion goes to insurance. I'm not in the insurance business but I doubt it costs more than $100,000 for insurance for the year. That leaves a very conservative $60,000 plus whatever is collected for fines.

I've heard rumors that the FVSL board is paid salaries. If so, who get's what? Who evaluates who gets compensated and for how much? Does the FVSL publish financial statements? Are they audited?

Don't get me wrong, I think the league is being run better than it has before but as players, we all pay our dues and in a way invest in the FVSL. I don't have great assurance that our investment is being spent effectively, given a few of the reputations of the members of the FVSL board and some of the conflicts of interest.

Your thoughts?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
diggler, I'm under the impression that a the executives receive some sort of honorarium or small compensation that would never begin to offset the actual costs associated with their cell bills, pc and email usage etc, nevermind their time committments.

I'm also understanding the league admin makes a salary, as it is a large job to run this league... it's run well and our league fees are in line with other leagues for what we receive.

I don't understand your comment re: Conflicts of Interest. Of course almost everyone involved in the running of the league is involved in clubs, but you'd have to think that execs would remove themselves from positions of authority or voting on topics directly relating their native club.

It sounds like your a lil grumpy about perhaps being fined or some such, as dutch13 alluded to.

Regs, where's that image of the bridge on fire? :p

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haven't been to a meeting in years, but the finances are disclosed at the AGM.

I have recently been involved in another sport's executive where "we" (the society) was fleeced by the treasurer, who was forging cheques. We found out too late, and went into 2011 w/ a nice deficit to climb out of. Reams of evidence later, and the lady still hasn't been formally charged.

Of course, the VMSL in about 1996 went through this on a bigger scale.

Point being, I have to say that I'm as happy w/ the overall management of league matters and finances as I can ever remember. The league front office is transparent, and accountable. So long as the league is well managed, I have absolutely no issue w/ the executives being paid a fair honorarium (which is voted / approved by membership vote). It's a fcukload of work.

Of course, my biggest concern would always be stop-gap measures in the finances to ensure funds can't be abused...which leads me to my question: what does the league have in place to protect against potential mismanagement / pilfering of funds?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haven't been to a meeting in years, but the finances are disclosed at the AGM.

I have recently been involved in another sport's executive where "we" (the society) was fleeced by the treasurer, who was forging cheques. We found out too late, and went into 2011 w/ a nice deficit to climb out of. Reams of evidence later, and the lady still hasn't been formally charged.

Of course, the VMSL in about 1996 went through this on a bigger scale.

Point being, I have to say that I'm as happy w/ the overall management of league matters and finances as I can ever remember. The league front office is transparent, and accountable. So long as the league is well managed, I have absolutely no issue w/ the executives being paid a fair honorarium (which is voted / approved by membership vote). It's a fcukload of work.

Of course, my biggest concern would always be stop-gap measures in the finances to ensure funds can't be abused...which leads me to my question: what does the league have in place to protect against potential mismanagement / pilfering of funds?
unless your chilliwack from the masters you dont have to pay fines.......................................
just saying

rbks

Aug 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chilli supposedly paid there fines from what I heard.I know what fine dirtydiggler is talking aboutI find that the league is getting a little crazy with certain finesLike being a couple days late with a couple small amounts from last season and the club has always been in good standing with the league next thing you know there fineing the team $100.00Just a little crazy

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0