Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FVSL 2012/13 Thanksgiving weekend off

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
How does taking next years thanksgiving weekend off and scheduling a game during the week. Sounds like every team is short players.

Is there enough fields available during the week? The " make up " games can be spread out across the year.

Not sure is the fvsl administration reads this website:cool:, but they have turned the league around and made it respectable. This would only ad to it.

Thoughts?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd be a proponent of taking off the long weekends where there is typically going to be family dinners etc... like Thanksgiving, easter... not Long weekends like Remembrance Day etc.

With the sched tweaked to have essentially the entire season in prior to the Christmas break ( I think there's only 2 or 3 games of regular season games after Xmas break) and half the teams being dumped out of cup in week one, there's plenty of time available either weekend or midweek to make up the Thxgiving Weekend games.

humble $0.02.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All womens teams and leagues that I am aware of have thanksgiving weekend off, as well as most youth soccer.

Mens soccer needs to follow. One weekend is not going to ruin scheduling to a great degree. Missing thanksgiving dinner to play soccer will ruin a relationship.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch using Tapatalk

WestCoast

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
All womens teams and leagues that I am aware of have thanksgiving weekend off, as well as most youth soccer.

Mens soccer needs to follow. One weekend is not going to ruin scheduling to a great degree. Missing thanksgiving dinner to play soccer will ruin a relationship.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch using Tapatalk

Not true my girlfriend is playing sunday morning at 10 am. She plays in the MWSL.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suck it up and play... we always talk about trying to tighten the gap between amateur and pro so do they take it off in the big leagues? Maybe they do? Anyone?

Shriner

Mar 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suck it up and play... we always talk about trying to tighten the gap between amateur and pro so do they take it off in the big leagues? Maybe they do? Anyone?

First of all, Thanksgiving is officially on Monday- so where ppl get that in ruins a Sunday game is semi-retarded; very few teams play on Mon nights.
Secondly, other pro-leagues like the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB play on holidays- Thx Giving, Christmas Day, New Years, Easter, Labor Day etc
Unless you can find a better field time and the opponent agrees, then calm down and play.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, Thanksgiving is officially on Monday- so where ppl get that in ruins a Sunday game is semi-retarded; very few teams play on Mon nights.
Secondly, other pro-leagues like the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB play on holidays- Thx Giving, Christmas Day, New Years, Easter, Labor Day etc
Unless you can find a better field time and the opponent agrees, then calm down and play.

Holy shite were pro? Why do we even stop for Christmas
Yes most familys have multiple dinners and there usually on seperate days of the weekend

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys:

The reason that VMSL and FVSL schedule games on Thanksgiving weekend is because it's one of the last ones in fall that you can count on reasonable weather. One less batch of missed games that have to be made up in February when fields are sporadically open...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys:

The reason that VMSL and FVSL schedule games on Thanksgiving weekend is because it's one of the last ones in fall that you can count on reasonable weather. One less batch of missed games that have to be made up in February when fields are sporadically open...

Most games are on turf so missing a weekend doesnt really matter unless your from Poco and your turf floods

rbks

Aug 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have always played thanksgiving weekend for the last 12 plus years so stop bitching!
Your lucky were not playing any cup games this weekend!
All our cup games will be starting after Xmas

soccermel

Oct 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think if people want to play on thanksgiving weekend that's fine, but the 6pm and 8pm games need to go, make the latest game on the Sunday at 2, that way people can still enjoy time with their family, and yes pro sports play on holidays but since when are we pros?

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's crazy why the league has games scheduled on Thanksgiving. This is the day, along with Christmas, that people spend with their families with big dinners and so on. To play on this day at night, is almost like a chore not to get fined. I don't get why the league can't reschedule these games for midweek or for later on in the schedule. This is an amateur league, no one gets paid to be out, and play mostly for fun.

At the least I think teams should be given an opportunity to postpone games if mutually agreed upon. We played with 10 men on Sunday and the other team had to call up players just to have a full squad.
I think it's just common sense here. The league has done a really good job in improving hopefully they can pick this one up as well.

PS: 7:30 Friday games in Maple Ridge can also be changed, anyone working in Vancouver, Richmond, or even Burnaby til 6pm will be hardpressed to make a Maple Ridge game on time.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0