Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

From VMSL to CPL - Ahmed Alghamdi joins Pacific FC

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great story here with a youngster stepping up from the VMSL ranks to earn a pro contract in the CPL. He is officially the youngest player signed in the league, and made his debut Wednesday night.

Ahmed was one of the initial players on our Rino's Tigers team and was only 14 years old during that rough first season in premier. He played a part in getting promoted back to premier the following season, and then winning the Imperial Cup last year. Those experiences lead to him being an absolute stalwart in our midfield this season, and while it sucks for us to lose him at a critical time with Provincial Semifinals looming, we are overjoyed to see him take the next step in his footballing career!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since his debut with Pacific, Ahmed has been used sparingly as a sub. This has been largely due to the fact that he has still been attending high school during the week and ferrying back and forth to Victoria, causing him to miss a lot of training and all the away matches.

Well school is out, Ahmed got his first start, and as a meme once said, BOOM goes the dynamite!

Not bad for a 17 year old.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Is there a reason this kid was/is not on Canada's radar? I would think he is eligible?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, of course he's eligible.

He was unknown to Canada Soccer because they don't scout properly. Basically the Canadian youth teams are made up of kids in the MLS academies with a few players attached to clubs overseas sprinkled in.

Whitecaps scouting appears limited to bcspl and their regional development centers.

So playing vmsl premier at age 15 may be a good way for a player to develop, but unfortunately is not a valid pathway to a Canadian national team.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, of course he's eligible.

He was unknown to Canada Soccer because they don't scout properly. Basically the Canadian youth teams are made up of kids in the MLS academies with a few players attached to clubs overseas sprinkled in.

Whitecaps scouting appears limited to bcspl and their regional development centers.

So playing vmsl premier at age 15 may be a good way for a player to develop, but unfortunately is not a valid pathway to a Canadian national team.

That's about it, isn't it?

Why is that?

Is it arrogance? Can't be a lack of intelligence...let's be honest, the highest most of the "Professional" coaching staff in BC Soccer have played at is the VMSL...which isn't exactly terrible. They know it's there, they know the level. It's a good standard, especially if a young kid is able to play and survive on a pitch with a bunch of seasoned, experienced men.

That's what bothers me...they talk about pathways, and "cradle to grave" type clubs. All these kids in BCPL...not all are going to go onto professional development. Many university, but then many more ending up in our local men's leagues anyways. We are still losing so many kids falling through the cracks. There is no way Canada Soccer should not have been made aware of this kid after he jumped to Pacific, so yeah, it has to be arrogance that he doesn't even get a phone call. He's still young enough that there could be major upside.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honestly, once he signed for Pacific it was already too late. He was in camp with the Saudi Youth National Team around this time last year as they prepared for a regional tournament.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, but on principal, WTF? To me, I just don't get it. Any successful organization must, must, must take advantage of all the resources in available to them. That is a common principal across all sports, all businesses, all institutions, NPOs, you name it. If the local men's leagues are a resource, a place to develop local players further along, and keep a close eye on their progress, then why wouldn't you?

I see TSS has placed a U21 squad in the FVSL Div. 1 (if TTP news is to be trusted :rolleyes: ). I'm sure that's considered thinking outside the box, but in principal it makes sense, no?

I just don't understand the mentality of viewing these leagues at dead end roads not worth including in that development pathways. It doesn't make sense to me. I'd like someone at the CSA and BCSA to actually explain it to me.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see TSS has placed a U21 squad in the FVSL Div. 1 (if TTP news is to be trusted :rolleyes: ). I'm sure that's considered thinking outside the box, but in principal it makes sense, no?

According to the copy of FVSL Divisional Alignment that I have obtained, the TSS "U21" entry will be in Division 2 FVSL. They also have a team in Division 1 FVSL. You would think their plan would be to sign only 11 players to the Div. 1, which may include some coaches, or former players even, that can help the squad adapt to the higher level. Meanwhile, the majority of players would be signed to the "U21" team in Div. 2 and just be called up, thus making that squad eligible to qualify for the U21 Provincial Cup come the end of the year. Last season the FVSL decided their two entrants to that tournament via their domestic cup competition where the various "U21" sides playing across their open division when head to head in a small knockout tournament; it stands to reason that they would do something similar this year.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts