Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier Friday Night Games

When Should Friday Night Games be Played?

• 7:00

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 7:30

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • 8:00

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • 8:30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play all Games on Sunday

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since there is so much complaint about when teams play on Friday nights, I thought that we would have a vote to see what the best time for games is on Friday night.

And please post any comments as well.

My feeling is that it totally depends on the two teams playing. I don't think POCO has a problem playing 7:00 games on Fridays against GEU because they are 20 minutes away from the field. But on the other hand, as complained about here, Langley has a problem with playing at GEU, or now even POCO at 7:00.

Location is the key here and you aren't going to be able to please everyone, and not eveyone has the ability to pick there own times.

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
night-game overload

you know, it used to be a night that teams looked forward to............ that rare thursday/friday night game, maybe a big cup game at Bear Creek. It was fun, guys planned in advance to get off work early to make it to the game early enough to get ready.

But for some stupid reason, people got over-excited about night games, and now EVERYBODY and their dog wants to play at night, on a friday. As a lot of guys are pointing out, this has started to become a real hassle for people trying to finish off work and get there.

I just want to point out that not everybody works exactly 9-5, people have different hours and locations of work. For example, I work in Burnaby, most of the times till 6 or 7......... then I have to boot-off work early to get to chiliwack for a freakin' night game??!! My question is ........ WHY ? Why is it such a thrill now to play friday nights, on turf to boot??

Football is supposed to be played on grass, on a nice sunday afternoon............

AhumbleSage'sopinion

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1 thought

I think what does help in having Friday night Premier games is when the both play on Sundays and CAT team plays at a different location than the Premeir team at a similar time.

If players are needed to play on the Premeir team that could short the CAT team for their game. Probably doesn't happen often (could even only happen at GEU!). But a Friday night game makes players available for both games. Players can get called up on Friday night to help out if needed and then play their CAT game on Sunday still.

Also, their are still teams who like to live it up on Saturdays and play better when they aren't hung over for a Sunday game.

Maybe I'm reaching but Friday night games also give players time to spend with their families on weekends. There are noticebly more players wives on the sidelines with kids and would rather spend their time on Sunday with family than at a park. Or even at their kids game on Sundays instead of having to play their own.

Discuss.

PS: If you are at work and are still reading this "GET YOUR ASS UP AND GET HOME!!!
YOU ARE PROBABLY GOING TO BE LATE FOR A 7:00pm GAME AGAINST GEU.
:D

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: 1 thought

Originally posted by Yoda
Maybe I'm reaching but Friday night games also give players time to spend with their families on weekends. There are noticebly more players wives on the sidelines with kids and would rather spend their time on Sunday with family than at a park. Or even at their kids game on Sundays instead of having to play their own.

And, creates less conflict for guys who coach kids soccer on a Saturday or Sunday.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF

It was you I had in mind on that point.

I remembered our sober ;) conversation after a game one late Friday night at Mackie.

T

The Grove

7:30 start

7:30 allows most of us to get to the game on time and then it doesn't finish too late.

We train on that turf field in Delta twice a week and it seems like at least once a practice someone turns or tweeks an ankle. I think it takes away from the flow of the game as well.

We should not play league games on that field.

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I llike the novelty of a Fri night game, but I am against the trend to have most games on a Friday night. I know there are some positives, but I prefer to play by natural light and on natural turf...it's the natural way people!!!

I wonder if this trend will make it difficult to get Sun afternoon times back. Would the league exec have any say / power in determining when the games are, or is it totally up to the home team?

side note: the post game pints benefit is very limited by this 9:00 Mackie-no change room-venue:(

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One drunk's opinion

Friday night games have always been a great opportunity for lads to to get together have a few bevies or hot toddies, watch the match and shake it up later at some bar...
Players enjoy the excitement of the atmosphere it creates... BUT in all honersty, playing on turf three times a month or more loses its lustre... Since I started playing mens football I have always looked forward to the two or three games you get to play on a friday night... Then again, it was somewhat of a privilage and was always played on descent grass pitch...

When John Oliver first opened everyone and their dog wanted a crack to play a Friday night match there... The buzz around the ground was vibrant and the noise of the crowd lined tight down each sideline was sometimes intimidating... I remember a particular battle between bitter rivals Surrey FC and Delta where even a coach and some fans got involved in an on field altercation... About 30 or so people from our sideline stormed the pitch and ran over to th eother sideline... It could have gotten really ugly, but in the end cool heads prevailed... That night there had to be at least 250 people there and I think that's what managers and coaches have in mind when they arrange their home games for a Friday... If Delta could get their shite together and get showers installed that would be the best park in the lower mainland to have Friday night matches on... Unfortunately the way it is drawn up isn't always the way it ends up...

Playing Saturday games are the best possible sinario... The CAT teams can play at noon, followed by premier at 2:15pm... We all grew up playing on a Saturday, so it is not a foreign idea??? I guess I was just spoiled at SU enjoying Saturday's at the park and Sunday's recoving in front of the tube watching the NFL...:rolleyes:

Having said all of that I can't wait for our 9pm match to start tonight, Guinness;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fridays

I've always loved playing Sunday morning, in the winter. Now when I wake up Sundays after a Friday game, I feel like something is missing, and I'm wound up even though I have no game to play.

That said, I'm loving the Friday thing! As a familly guy, it gives me more time with the kids through the weekend, and I take advantage of the day off Saturday and stay out for a few pints. Makes things easier w/ the wife, too. She didn't like me staying out late on Sunday evenings, drinking w/ the boys.

Hate the turf though. I don't mind as a last alternative, but as the first choice...nope.

I think a lot of the popularity also has to do w/ accomodating schedules. By playing these games, it helps the league's cause of trying to get in as many games as possible before the field closures come. If you get shut down Friday, there is always a chance it'll clear by Sunday (Bear creek & JO, for example).

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally, don't really like the Friday night games. Im still young, I work all night Saturdays, so Friday is the "go out" night for me. I can still go out after the game, just makes planning harder. Sundays is where it's at.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it OK?

I hope the Surrey Premier team is OK with the 7:30pm start time this Thursday. Half hour later than our usual start times.

Hope it helps.

Not that we can change it.
:D

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not a big fan of Friday nights either, but the alternative is any one of our shocking fields in the City of Port Coquitlam.

We did not come to the decision of playing on Fridays lightly. But if you've played on Reeves (Gates) #1, you have seen what a terrible field looks like. There is far less chance of injuries occurring on Poco's turf field than on that cow pasture. Ask the GN guys who stepped in pot holes in week 2 and had to be carried off the park.

Unfortuneatly, Sundays are taken by lacrosse and Saturdays by youth soccer so Friday was our only option.

And for what it's worth, Monkeys like turf.:wa:

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey

I don't mind the Thursday game, and the Peg boys didn't seem to mind too much neither. Probably be there around 7:00 anyways, so the extra half hour will come in handy.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This Friday, 3 out of 7 Games

3 Friday Night VMSL Premier League games, In NewWest, PortMoody, and Slurrey.

The Biggie is in NewWest with the Mighty Khalsa Men hosting the lowly Slurrey boys.

I think Friday Night games are a great idea. You put in a day at work or TTP, then head off for a game two hours later. By 10 O'clock, you have 3 points, have chunged knvb, and are heading down to the Pub for a few Pints.
What better way to spend a Friday Night. The rest of the weekend can be be used to relax and then on Sunday afternoon head down to a Park, watch a match and eat a spicy Zurrinni Dog.

It is nice to have the days off after the match too. You get Sat., Sun., Mon., and part of Tues. to recover before training on Tuesday night.
The team goes for a light run on Wednesday, and then back playing on Friday.

HOS

MILLSY

Nov 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The league should set one start time for friday night games which would put end to the bitchin'. Sunday games have been @ 2-2:15 for as long as I can remember why can"t they set a time for all friday nighter's. The ones we played in so far no other games have have followed including our home park so it seems start times could be flexible enough to be all the same. Maybe booking fields a problem?

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The novelty of playing Fridays is now wearing thin. As you know, we were the first team to do this at John Oliver. The only playing time we could get was Fridays. At the time, it seemed a great idea and as I said before, a novelty. Now with everybody joining in bar two, pretty much 80% of our games are on a Friday. The premier league has almost become a Friday night league, which I don't agree with. We also now have the introduction of turf fields in lieu of grass.
My personal opinion is grass and nothing but grass as well all teams, if possible, to play Saturdays or Sundays.
We at Delta can change from Fridays to Saturday or Sunday after the christmas break next season and would consider this, based on the response from the FVSL. Most of my own football experiences were on grass on Saturday afternoon. It seems the right thing to do.

Cheers:D

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts