Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier Friday Night Games

When Should Friday Night Games be Played?

• 7:00

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 7:30

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • 8:00

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • 8:30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play all Games on Sunday

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Friday Nights

Friday nights? Love 'em. As long as they are not out in the 'wack. At least they are giving us an extra half hour to get out there.

Besides, leaves more opportunity for skiing and riding (if we get any of the white stuff), and things outside of work and soccer. Oh, and beer, too.

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
the league should step in

As I look out the window I see a beautiful sunny day and perfect conditions for soccer. The fvsl has a tradition of playing premier(and other) games on the weekend and that's the way it should stay...the league should show leadership in this area and set the standard for when league games should be played.
This issue should be discussed by the board and resolved for next season.
Some people say fri night games leave the weekend wide open for other activities...well I would hope that if you're playing premier, that soccer would be your priority and #1 choice of something to do on a sat/sun afternoon.
Playing so many fri night games is a joke.
When can we expect some official action fellas?? :confused:

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
what he said...

Might sound like sour grapes, with two PAU players posting on this thread one day after losing on a Friday night, but I have had these points on my mind since this "trend" towards Friday night games started.

#1. It is a big ordeal for most guys to get off work at regular hours, and make their way to Albion field for a 7:00pm kick-off!! Some of our guys come from Richmond or downtown and literally have to commute 2 hours or more through rush hour traffic just to get there for kick-off. Couple this with the fact that most people are fatigued after a full work week, and ask yourself: are we really fielding our best product in the premier league???

#2. It fukcs your training schedule up huge! Especially when you have a Friday night game following a Sunday game the week before. Logically, for a Friday night game you would want to train on Mon. and Wed. giving you a days rest before the match. If you play on a Sunday the week before though, there's no way anyone wants to train the next day (Mon.)!! Everybody needs a day or two to rest bodies and heal knocks. The result is what happened to us this week. You train once for the next Friday night game coming up, either on Tuesday or Wednesday. In my experience it becomes harder to keep a team's focus when you only train once a week.

Personally, I am dissapointed in the trend that has started. Football was meant to be played under the natural sunlight on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

justoneskip'sopinion

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just curious

Would it help to have either all games on Sunday or all games on Friday? That way the practice schedule is easier to plan and is never too close to game days?

Or maybe even set a standard time for Friday night games. Have the league say that any Friday night game must start at 7:30 or 8:00pm.

Problem I think is that they would have to have all clubs have the exact same scheduling times having all games start on the even hours or something. If you notice alot of teams (not GEU) have different start times because of the schedule of the games before them. Could be a tough task to have all clubs change their schedule to end all games on Fri. by 8:00pm so that the premeir clubs can play at the same times.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, obviously it would rectify the training schedule problem if all teams were playing Friday nights.

As far as the problem with start times being inconsisitent for these evening games, the scheduling difficulties with all teams playing at different times is only evidence (in my mind at least) that teams are afforded less flexibilty playing on Friday nights. I would argue that this is because there are limited lit facilities, and therfore, busier schedules for those fields. Playing during daylight hours, on a Sat. or Sun. gives much more flexibility to teams in terms of venues and times.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heres a great Idea

Play the Friday Night games, then train on Sunday afternoon in the DayLight on a nice grass pitch.

It would be the same rest as a Sunday game then a Tuesday Training, but you get to train on Sunday on Grass instead of Gravel.

Have a Light session on Tuesday or Wednesday and then Friday game agian. Not bad, but the Old Lady may not like you out drinking with the boys both Friday and Sunday, Oh well.

Could be a thought.

But it is nice to go out and watch the odd match on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

HOSlikesFridayNightMatches,whenHeWins

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Heres a great Idea

Originally posted by Hands of Stone

But it is nice to go out and watch the odd match on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I agree.
It's great when some games are on Friday and some on Sunday, that way it works out sometimes that you can play Friday night an then go heckle a couple other teams on Sunday.

I know for our team, Fridays works well because that way we can move players up and down easier. We've had instances in the past were both teams played at either the same time or close to it, one at home and one away and the CAT team lacked players because the Premier team took some for their game.

Having the two teams play on different days rectified that problem so that both teams always had enough players.

hubs

Oct 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
agree

I agree with having the cat and prem. squads playing on different days. It gives the up and comers experience as well, it would make the leagues more competitive. As long as each div plays the same day or night this flip flopping sucks. Who wants to play 2 games in a row and be at our best. Lets face it for some teams as we near the end of the season we need the cat team with all the injuries that occur.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0