Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Free Agency (Otherwise known as Doomsday in 'Nucks land)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every year free agency comes around, I get depressed. As a Canucks fan, it becomes more and more apparent every year that we will not be able to keep up with the “have” teams of the league the way salaries are going.

Right now, thanks to some great management by Brian Burke and Dave Noonis, the ‘Nucks are looking good for the next couple of years, BUT…unless the league brings in a hard cap with the next collective bargaining agreement, I can’t see us keeping any of our cornerstone players.

Check out these numbers:

· Bobby Holick- ~9 mil / year over I think 5 years (Rangers- cokc suckers!)
· Bill Guerrin- expected to sign with either the Rangers or Stars for around the same.
· Robert Lang- 5 mil / year from the capitals (yes, I said Robert Lang)
· Tony Amonte- will probably get ~7 mil / year on a long-term deal from one of the big money teams.

This is just the start. How can the Canucks expect to make a fair pitch to Andrew Cassels with numbers like that flying around? Worse, what happens to Todd Bertuzzi in a couple of years when his deal runs out? If he simply stays at the same level as he played at last year, he’s already a better player than any of the guys mentioned above. Nassy too. Sure, Bobby Holick has proven himself in the finals, but I’d compare him more to someone like Michael Peca. I’m sorry, but Holick isn’t worthy of 9 mil / year (good for him though- God bless open markets and irresponsible owners).

Yes- the NHL needs a hard cap, but more to police the owners themselves, not the player agents. Revenue sharing would help tremendously. And while we’re at it, world peace, an end to starvation, poverty, and general needless suffering would be nice too.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk fcuk fcuk

...and there goes Lachance:

Jul 04, 2002

Blue Jackets sign defensemen Richardson, Lachance

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Free agent defensemen Luke Richardson and Scott Lachance signed multiyear contracts with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
Financial terms were not disclosed.

The 33-year-old Richardson has played 15 years in the NHL, the last five seasons with Philadelphia.

A 10-year veteran, Lachance, 29, had a plus-15 rating for the Vancouver Canucks in 81 games last year.

Their durability will be a welcome addition to the Blue Jackets, whose only real physical presence on defense last year was 6-foot-3, 206-pound rookie Rostislav Klesla, the fourth overall pick in the 2000 draft.

The Blue Jackets allowed the most goals in the Western Conference (255) last season and finished with the fewest points (57).

"Our goal on July 1 was to add size, mobility, skill and leadership on our blue line," team president and general manager Doug MacLean said. "We have accomplished that."

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dont know if it has been confirmed but there was a report on the net from New York that the Rangers have signed Tony Amonte.....

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes!

Canucks sign defenseman Obsut

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - The Vancouver Canucks signed free agent defenseman Jaroslav Obsut on Wednesday.
Obsut, 25, scored three goals, had 22 assists and 48 penalty minutes for Hershey of the AHL last season. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Czech also played in three games for the Colorado Avalanche.

Originally a ninth-round pick of Winnipeg in 1995, Obsut signed as a free agent with St. Louis in 1999. He had no points in four games for the Blues, and signed as a free agent with the Avalanche in 2001.

Tyler Moss, Jeff Farkas and Jaroslav Obsut all in one summer! Start your "Nucks for Cup in 2003" parade today!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes again!

(Jul 11) VANCOUVER (CP) - Unrestricted free-agent defenceman Nolan Baumgartner has signed with the Vancouver Canucks.

Baumgartner, 26, born in Calgary, spent last season with the AHL's Norfolk Admirals. He's played 26 NHL games with Washington and Chicago since being a first-round draft pick, 10th overall, in 1994.

All together now. "Lord Stan-lee, here we come...."

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He can't be that cheep...earlier in the playoffs, he offered to write Scotty Bowman a cheque to cover his $10K fine.:rolleyes:

Face it- he's untouchable, and he married Jennifer Mathers. What an asshole.:mad:

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tony Amonte has signed with Pheonix. Vancouver will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year.:(

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chicago Blackhawks sign former Canuck defenceman Jason Strudwick

CHICAGO (CP) - The Chicago Blackhawks signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Jason Strudwick on Monday. Strudwick, 26, played 44 games for the Vancouver Canucks last season, posting two goals, 16 assists and 96 penalty minutes.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling

This is a Burkie classic, I am sure all the reporters will be ready to use this quote if the Nucks come out of the gates slow in Oct.

The media should ease off on Burke, he has no money to spend on free agents, and Glassels is going to wait all long as he can to get the big money.

It is funny how the media get Burkie going, and it is only July 24.

Little Bo Peep

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burke is the grumpiest prick to serve as a GM since Harold Ballard.

He gets away with not having to respond to the media's questions, simply by attacking the media, or questioning their knowledge/integrity. Typical Burke Media Session:

Q: So how will the Canucks fare given the upgrades made by the three teams that finished directly below you in the Western Conference last season?

A: You media types are all alike. We don't play a game that means anything until October. There are some writers in this city that just don't get it.

Q: How will the loss of Scott LaChance affect the blue-line depth this season?

A: You media guys are pretty thick. We were the youngest team in the NHL playoffs last season. You've got columnists in this town that don't know thing one about running a hockey team. They just don't get it.

Q: What is the latest on Andrew Cassels?

A: You writers claim its all doom-and-gloom because we're not spending a ton of money on an overpriced free agent. We're a small-market team. Some of the writers in this province have a hard time figuring this out. I'm not here to play with Mr. McCaw's money.

Stick to poking Jenny Mathers, and flying out to Boston every other week to see your bloody children on the team's tab, you bloated cnut.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

With comments like that I'm sure that Orca Bay will come swooping into Nat Bailey to purchase your contract and make you the new media liason officer for the 'Nucks.

We can only hope.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Take a chance

Brian Burke needs to go out on a limb...throw some cash around and take a friggen chance. If we take a chance and buy a big name...if it works out...WE STRUCK GOLD, and if not, then hey, it was worth the chance...better luck next time.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that throwing around a little bit for mid range free agents should be done. This way, you keep guys on their toes in camp and early in the season, fighting for a job.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what about??????

I saw an interview of Theo Fluery last night.............he played for what??????? 6 million last year........so far no takers so you have to figure he is going to be taking a decent pay cut, say to the 4 million or so range. Last year Burke tried to get Hull for that type of money so what about trying him out? I know it is risky but one that might have huge payoffs.........plus I am sure if it didn't work out they could dump him at the deadline as most teams look to load up for a cup run!

Comments,

John

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
John,

No thanks. There's no need to fcuk around with a promising young group of guys by shoe-horning an old-has-been-past-his-prime-addict just for the sake of spending money.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fleury who?

He's a joke...a child...a waste of talent. Let him go and cause some shite with another team!! He should have continued drinking to calm his nerves, eh?;)

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ulf Dahlen to Dallas

Okay, so Ulf Dahlen isn't a huge signing. But he did have 23 goals and 52 points in 69 games last year. Numbers which would have made him the 4th highest scorer on the Canucks.

What this does, once again, is bring the issue to the forefront - while every other team in the Western Conference is adding talent, the Canucks have lost a top-4 defenceman and a top-6 forward. With no replacements in sight.

Just to give you an idea of what Dallas will have up front next year: Arnott, Modano, Guerin, Young, Dahlen, Lehtinen, Morrow and Turgeon. And this is a team which finished behind us for a playoff spot. Hmmm. If you can roll out Dahlen and Lehtinen/Morrow on a third line, you're in pretty damn good shape.

Better pray Chicago drops out of post-season contention early. I mean, even Edmonton and Calgary added some talent in the off-season. And the Oil will have Mike York for a full season this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts