Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Formula 1: Discussion for the 2003 season.

Will the new qualifying rules in F1 make the racing more exciting?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I hope so.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Who cares. Racing sucks. All they do is go round and round. They aren't even athletes.:rolleyes:

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bravo...........

Well done to the God-bothering nutjob who ran onto the track at Silverstone during the Grand Prix on Saturday. He almost succeeded in making the sport interesting.

No quite, though......

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian Grand Prix reprieved

T
he Canadian Grand Prix, which was threatened with being axed from next year's calendar because of a row over tobacco sponsorship, was included on the calendar for the 2004 Formula One world championship here on Wednesday.
However, the date set aside for the race in Montreal, June 13, is provisional depending on a satisfactory financial agreement with the teams regarding the absence of tobacco sponsorship.
The decision was taken by a meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council who released the schedule which now features 18 events - the first time in the history of the sport that there have been over 17 races.
As expected, Bahrain and China join the calendar with the Belgian Grand Prix returning after a one-year absence while the race in Austria is scrubbed from the competition.
Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One ringmaster, announced in August that the Canadian Grand Prix would be dropped in response to a government crackdown on tobacco sponsorship. Local promoters argued that the absence of the event could have a devastating effect on the local economy claiming that 300,000 fans are attracted to the race while over 50 million euros are generated.
The other major change for 2004 sees both sessions of qualifying shifted to Saturday leaving Friday free for two periods of free practice where teams, except those finishing in the top four of the championship this time round, being allowed to run a third car if they choose.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What does this mean?

McLaren sign Montoya for 2005

TSN.ca Staff

11/17/2003

The 2004 season hasn't even begun but McLaren are already making plans for 2005.
The Woking-based team has confirmed the speculation which has reigned for most of the last half of the season, that they have signed Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya to drive for them in 2005.
"I am thrilled to be joining West McLaren Mercedes," said Montoya. "The team is consistently a strong World Championship contender and has a fantastic heritage. It's a great opportunity for me and I'm really looking forward to the first time I will be able to drive one of their cars. To join them is an amazing challenge and experience which I plan to fully enjoy."
McLaren says it will finalize it's driver lineup at a later date but its safe to assume that Montoya will partner Kimi Raikkonen, who has become a championship contender in two seasons with the team.
"The opportunity to sign a talent like Juan Pablo was too good to miss, and there is already a considerable amount of anticipation within our team about 2005."
The decision means 2004 will likely be the last for David Coulthard at McLaren, an association that has lasted nine seasons.
Montoya, a former F3000 and CART champion, has three wins in 50 career starts with Williams. This past season, he was challenging Michael Schumacher and Raikkonen for the championship before a disastrous race at Indianapolis effectively ended his title hopes.
A BMW-Williams spokesperson downplayed speculation that Montoya would try and get out of his final year with the team by sitting out the upcoming season.
"Frank is not going to add any comment," spokesman Liam Clogger said. "t simply represents confirmation of speculation that has been around for a while. There is no detail we can offer beyond that."
At BMW-Williams, Montoya is paid considerably less than teammate Ralf Schumacher. This past season, the Colombian reportedly earned $2.5-million while Schumacher took hom $12-million. The German has reportedly agreed to a contract extension beyond 2004 which will pay him less in base salary but with incentives, could earn more than this past year.
Moving forward many did not expect Williams would be able to retain both drivers, considering Montoya would be seeking financial compensation in line with his teammate.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts