Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[FIFA WYC 2005] Can Canada get out of their group?

Will Canada advance through the group stage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not looking so good now.
Canada 0 - Columbia 2

TILBURG, Netherlands (CP) - Colombia finally broke through a packed Canadian defence in the final 10 minutes Wednesday as the South American under-20 champion defeated Canada 2-0 at the World Youth Championship.
Colombia outshot Canada 24-3 (11-1 in shots on target) and had 75 per cent of the possession.

With just one point, the 0-1-1 Canadians will probably have to defeat Italy on Saturday in their final first-round match to advance.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
While Columbia showed awesome skill and seemed 3 steps ahead of every single Canadian on the pitch, I found the way Canada played extremely frustrating :mad:

Saying Columbia had 75% possession is a disservice to the Columbians... I would put it up closer to 90% :rolleyes:

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even down 1-0 in the final minutes, Canada was still humping it up the pitch! How do you expect to score when you just give the ball away every time you get it. The only time they advanced up the field was a couple of times when they kept getting throw-ins further and further up the line! Why do we play like this? Did Mitchell play this way in his career? I don't think so. Maybe he has been watching too much of the Canadian Women's National team. I'm not saying go guns-a-blazing against Colombia, but come on, when they got possession (which was rare), could they not try to string a few passes together and make the Colombians run a bit?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Six of One said:
Even down 1-0 in the final minutes, Canada was still humping it up the pitch! How do you expect to score when you just give the ball away every time you get it. The only time they advanced up the field was a couple of times when they kept getting throw-ins further and further up the line! Why do we play like this? Did Mitchell play this way in his career? I don't think so. Maybe he has been watching too much of the Canadian Women's National team. I'm not saying go guns-a-blazing against Colombia, but come on, when they got possession (which was rare), could they not try to string a few passes together and make the Colombians run a bit?
Why? Because they had no choice. The skill level was the deciding factor. You cannot develop a style of play or implement tactics if you do not MASTER the skills (that means the entire squad). We do not master the skills in Canada. Many think we do, but we do not. The Columbians were masterful. A couple of Canadian players tried to settle and play, but the ball was taken away at will. We want to learn? Watch their youth systems and see what they do. No, not us.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with the comments that you have to possess the ball and that means not just humping it up the park to some unsupported lone striker. Possession is the name of the game and yes, you need some skill to do that but winning a ball and keeping it is a far better strategy than chasing the game for 90 minutes and stacking the defence.

It does take time to develop a team and Canadian national soccer teams are not given that chance to do it right. No money, no pro leagues to bring the skill levels up. Our teams just don't get the chance to play sides with the skill of Colombia on a routine basis like Colombian players do.

I think that too many of our young national players are so used to playing with teams that win all the time that they don't get the chance to develop at the highest skill levels where they have to learn to find the way to help their teams win.

Today, they looked like their idea as a team was to defend and not get blown out.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, if you go into a game knowing that you are over matched, you try to play for a tie, 0-0 if you can. And that's what they almost accomplished. Just coulnd't hold on for the last 10.
I know that's what the FVSL teams to when they play the VMSL. :rolleyes:

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby said:
Why? Because they had no choice. The skill level was the deciding factor. You cannot develop a style of play or implement tactics if you do not MASTER the skills (that means the entire squad). We do not master the skills in Canada. Many think we do, but we do not. The Columbians were masterful. A couple of Canadian players tried to settle and play, but the ball was taken away at will. We want to learn? Watch their youth systems and see what they do. No, not us.

Spot on.

Canada had no shape. Sat too deep. Attacked the ball from the wrong positions and were forced to play the way they did. A very simple disection and not very hard to figure out. Impossible to change based on the quality of this current Canadian squad and against a team of that calibre.
Canada were simply pulled apart and chased the ball for 90 minutes. They defended admorably in numbers and all credit to them for keeping the Columbians at bay for 80 minutes through sheer determination and tons of effort.

Cheers

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just watched the game after taping it during the day and wow. I don't think I have ever seen a team get outplayed that badly in a game before. It looked to me like every single player on columbia was better then every single player on canada. I couldn't figure out why we were giving their players so much space. it doesn't take skill to stay tight on your man. i don't know if that was Dales Idea or we were just intimidated by there talent. Either way it is shocking to see our country is this far behing the other top countries.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, that was rather embarrassing to watch. Holy crap are the Columbian;s skillful. Amazing touch and speed, which you could tell scared the boys shitless. Christ, Buljive and walls could have looked world beaters out there at times with the amount of space and time they had to control the ball, not that they really needed it. 4-5-1 was defiantly a mistake, needless to say I suppose, but when you let a side with that much skill set up in your own end before they're even met with the half hearted challenge they were well you saw the result.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also watched the 90 Minute Columbian Power Play........With the coming generation of youths, a part of me had thought that soccer in our country was advancing.....Boy was I wrong. A major difference from teams past is that a lot of the boys are either signed by European teams or playing at NCAA Div 1 schools..........BUT we still can't PLAY the game.............dump and hump.........it's that silly hockey mentality of crash and dash.......frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts