Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[FIFA WYC 2005] Can Canada get out of their group?

Will Canada advance through the group stage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you think? A tough group but Canada seems to do well in recent years at this level... can they get the results to move on? Or will they be going home early.

;) ;) ;)

Here are their match-ups:

Group E
12-06-2005
Colombia U20 - Italy U20
Syria U20 - Canada U20

15-06-2005
Canada U20 - Colombia U20
Italy U20 - Syria U20

18-06-2005
Italy U20 - Canada U20
Colombia U20 - Syria U20

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Can Canada get out of their group?

Are any of these games televised. On TSN or Sportsnet, or anywhere?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Just the Canada games are being televised - Sportsnet.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

What you couldnt' post the TV schedule for me?
I've got cleaning and dusting to do, i don't have time to check the website!
;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [FIFA WYC 2005] Day 2 Match Results

It is... It's on live right now on Sportnet West (need digital box or satellite)... Canada just tied it up after a brutal first goal against in the first couple of minutes.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was pissed to see NASCAR on at 11:30.

What was the final? I'm not staying up to 11:30 to watch...

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Game apparently ended 1-1 , looks like canada went down in the second minute and then Jamie peters scored in the 31st min.

Cheers
JB

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I just saw the highlights and it looked like Canada was outplayed. Hard to believe that one of our National teams is outplayed by players who are more skillful. Who did they play anyway? I know Canada was actually favoured to win, which was shocking......

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I saw the same highlight package...didn't really do Canada justice. I watched the game on Sportsnet West (thank you, digital cable) live and figured Canada was full value for all three points. Dale and Eddie were probably disappointed they had to settle for a draw.

Canada outchanced Syria for most of the match and forced their keeper to make two difficult saves on goalbound drives. This is more than I can say for the Canadian netminder, who looked absolutely brutal on the two chances he actually had to deal with. It didn't help that he looked like a cleated version of Napoleon Dynamite. I kept waiting for him to try and clear a cross with one of those flying tetherball punches Napoleon used on the playground.

The one thing that surprised me was Mitchell's substitutions; he took out Peters and DeJong who, to me anyways, were the two most dangerous players on the pitch.

Fun fact: Syria's head coach was openly hacking butts while instructing his troops on the pitch.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Fair enough, Sensei. I only saw the highlight package which could have been put together by Syria T.V. I hope the boys make it out of their group but it will only get more difficult from here. I am sure that is the one game they thought they were going to win......

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sensei,

I saw the second half of the Canada/Syria match and I thought the match was pretty much a stalemate....The Syrians came closest to steal the three points after dinging one of the crossbar......I would agree that the Canadian Keeper was brutal..........I was impressed with Canada's #10 Johnson.

The Canadian match was absolutely no comparison to the Argentina/US match. Wow........the Argies and the Yanks both are teams to be rekoned with.....very skilled squads.

Sandman

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sandman was impressed with #10's Johnson incase you missed it.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I too went to Sportsnet at 11:30 (because their web site said it was scheduled for then) and got Nascar. How does it get played on Sportsnet West and not Pacific? :(

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It didn't help that he looked like a cleated version of Napoleon Dynamite. I kept waiting for him to try and clear a cross with one of those flying tetherball punches Napoleon used on the playground.
Yessss. Classic, Sensei :D

The #10 Johnson apparently has never set foot in Canada since the age of 1?!?!?! Was he a late addition to the squad?

Sportnet Pacific Wednesday 8:30 AM LIVE Canada vs Columbia.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, there is two of them that aren't anymore Canadian than Guinness is Irish.

I received an email from young Vinny Stewart today direct from Holland... Poor kid must not know there is a red light district the rivals no other or he wouldn't be mulling around TTP. :D They know they've dropped the ball vs Syria and I think we may see a little bit of a different line up for Columbia on Wednesday.

Go on young Vincent... The boys are routing for you.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man, oh man... first we hear that a registered member of this site was shagging Paula Abdul and now we have some of the Canadian lads in Holland TTPing instead of red-lighting. The world has gone upside down :D

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

sensei_hanson said:
The one thing that surprised me was Mitchell's substitutions; he took out Peters and DeJong who, to me anyways, were the two most dangerous players on the pitch.

Were we watching the same game. De Jong didnt touch the ball the entire match and when Peters touched it he gave it away? I think that Craig Forrest was getting paid by the amount of times that he said Jaime Peter's name though. I wouldnt be surprised if Riley O'Neill got a start as i thought he looked much more interested in playing than De Jong did. For me Man of the Match went to the Captain Nick Ledgerwood, good defensively, and good service into frontrunners all game long. A bit predictable at times, as it was fairly one dimentional, but i thought he was very good. I was pleasently surprised by David Edgar in the defensive midfield role, and i thought that he and Tyler Rosenlund did well when they were able to play. The team was very direct and the ball wasnt at their feet often enough, but when it was the game seemed to open up for Canada. Gyaki was all over the place, but you cant praise his performance too much since he missed two sitters. Johnson the American did well also i thought.

The heart of their defense looked shaky all night, and i hope that Petoom and Hainault clear the ball better in their own box against columbia or they could be in for a long game.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

revolutionary said:
Were we watching the same game. De Jong didnt touch the ball the entire match and when Peters touched it he gave it away?

From what I recall, DeJong whipped in the free kick that Peters headed home for the lone Canadian goal on the day. In fact, during Canada's solid 15-minute spell in the first half, DeJong was zipping in some very impressive crosses, and Peters was causing a lot of trouble for the Syrian outside backs.

"Dangerous" is a relative term in this sense, Rev. To me, DeJong and Peters seemed far more capable of generating that much needed second goal than anybody else on the park (Gyaki looked like Soccer Canada's version of Scott "Wild Thing" Walker; Johnston's a nice player but ran out of ideas inside the final 3rd). Most of the midfielders you mentioned were great in a holding role, but didn't show much in the way of offensive flair. I think Edgar had that great goalbound drive in the first half, but aside from that, nothing.

The kid they brought in for DeJong was absolute pants and Riley O'Neil - who is an absolute monster (thank you, Pierre McGuire) - wasn't really used to the best of his abilities. He's lethal in the air but Canada's service left a lot to be desired. They only picked him out on a single cross and even then, he nearly tucked it in from a tough angle. I would have love to see the service DeJong provided in the first half matched up with Riley's aerial prowess, but it never happened.

I should have mentioned Ledgerwood too, I thought he was fairly solid throughout. I was quite keen to see how this team would do given the BC flavour (and the fact I was the goalie coach on Riley's BC u-18 team two summers ago), and was kind of surprised to see how quickly they tired in the second half.

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I will conceed that De Jong and Peters had an impact in the game due to the fact that they were directly responsible for the goal. However, I would argue that being dangerous or worthy of 90 minutes at that level must go beyond that one play. Thinking back on the game (which i have watched twice now) i can hardly remember a good cross from Peters let alone a great one, however i do remember several chest passes intercepted, and several attempts to beat a player and get a cross in that were blocked and went out for a corner kick. To me this does not constitute a good or even decent performance. Hopefully with all his hype he can put in a showing worthy of his name, because god knows they will need every bit of help they can get in order to not be embarrassed. De Jong did get some decent service into the box, but it mostly came from set peices. Tomak Cherowski(sp?) did nothing when substituted, but i thought that O'Neill was quite decent, and deserving of more minutes tommorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0