Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA World Youth U-20 Championships

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brazil Ease Past Canada in Opener
(FIFA.com)
28 Nov 2003

Brazil 2-0 Canada
Carvalho (56') Brazil, Nilmar (84') Brazil

Brazil confirmed their billing as one of the pre-tournament favourites after running out comfortable 2-0 winners against a stubborn, well-drilled Canadian team in Group C’s opening match of the FIFA World Youth Championship UAE 2003 at the Rashid stadium, Dubai. Second-half strikes from Daniel Carvalho, after his twice-taken penalty had been saved, and Nilmar finally brought a smile to the face of coach Paqueta and hundreds of yellow-clad supporters following a disappointing opening half.
Canada opened brightly with Sita-Taty Matondo, looking like a slim DaMarcus Beasley, using his electric pace to good effect down the right flank. Brazil, playing three up front but without injured striker Dagoberto, were, typically, taking time to find their rhythm. However they almost went ahead inside the first ten minutes when Sao Paulo midfielder Kleber’s skimming shot was finger-tipped round the post by a diving Alim Karim.

The game was being played at a fast and furious pace in the early stages which suited Dale Mitchell’s Canucks. Iain Hume, sporting a red Mohican, jinked round a couple of defenders before his dangerous cross was cleared. Then, just before the half-hour mark, all-action midfielder Josh Simpson shrugged off two challenges and whizzed in a 25-yarder that cleared the bar by inches.

The young Selecao were slowly beginning to dominate and when the second half commenced they had a golden opportunity to make it count. Referee Eduardo Iturralde, who had seconds previously booked Kleber for diving in the box, pointed to the spot when number 10 Nilmar was brought down after exquisitely nutmegging his defender.

Waving Leafs
Daniel Carvalho stepped up to slot it home low to the keepers left, but as he turned to celebrate the Spanish official, spotting an infringement, called him back to take it again. This time Karim blocked the nervous shot to trigger the waving of a sea of Maple Leaf flags.

Sensing Paqueta’s team were about to turn it on, the Brazilian contingent together with adopted locals, turned the loudspeakers up a few decibels and the South Americans suddenly found their pitch. After a fine knock down by Nilmar, Daniel Carvalho made up for the penalty miss by cutting his volley high into the top corner (1-0, 56).

“They (Canada) were marking us tightly so at half-time I told my players to move around more and create spaces,” said Brazil coach Paqueta after the match.

Canada, who had been guilty of giving the ball away, now had a great chance to equalise. After racing onto a delicious through ball, the dangerous Hume beat one defender, but, one-on-one with goalkeeper Henrique Fernando, saw his left-foot shot pushed around the post (73).

“I cannot fault him. It was a good first touch and he hit the target. Their keeper pulled out a fine stop,” lamented Canadian coach Mitchell.

Patience
As the match entered its latter stages, the long legs of Flamengo’s Andrezinho were beginning to become more prominent. First, he scratched the paintwork with a curling 20-yard effort, then hit the side netting after a great through ball from Daniel. Left again in oceans of space down the left, his cross-shot was palmed by Karim to Nilmar, who coolly clipped it over the sprawled keeper and high into the net (2-0, 84).

“The first game of a championship is always difficult especially when you come up against Brazil,” said Mitchell later. “We played it defensively, just as we intended, but with their quality and patience they got on top of us.”

“This is the third game we’ve played together,” added Paqueta with a frown, “so we needed time. But we gradually got better. We have an advantage in that we possess experience but I’m almost preparing the team during the competition.”

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Out of Interest

Other Results:

Group A
United Arab Emirates 1-4 Slovakia
Panama 0-1 Burkina Faso

Group B
Argentina 2-1 Spain
Uzbekistan 2-3 Mali

Group C
Brazil 2-0 Canada
Czech Republic 1-1 Australia

Group D
Columbia 0-0 Egypt
Japan 1-0 England

Group E
Saudi Arabia 1-2 Ireland
Mexico 1-2 Ivory Coast

Group F
Paraguay 1-3 USA
South Korea 2-0 Germany

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm surprised that no one has started this thread sooner.

Dale and the boys are in tough and are long shots to qualify for the next round. It will be interesting to see how we do against Australia who took our model of youth soccer back in the '80's and see the comparison. They continued with the notion of seperating the players into different levels from a very young age where we went with the philosophy that players from U-11 and under should be able to play with there friends.

Local BC boys that played against Brazil were:

Kevin Harmes Tromso (Norway) (Coquitlam) 90'
Gordan Chin Vancouver Whitecaps (Burnaby) 90'
Josh Simpson University of Portland (Victoria) 90'

Good luck Dale, Eddie and the boys. Do us proud!

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada lost again today 2-1 to the Aussies.

Freddy Adu/Edu what ever the 14 year old wonderkid's name is is part of the US squad, and its interesting to see Wayne Rooney not there!!

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not to sure but I think Wayne Rooney is ineligible to play for the England Squad because of his participation with the England mens squad.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you saying he can't be dropped to the jr squad because he has played at the senior level or that he isn't participating because he's currently busy with the senior squad?

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope your not being a jerk-off

Jinky, I am not sure. I think it is that if you play with one international game with the senior squad, you are not allowed to drop back down to the youth or teen levels.

fcuk it.somebody look it up:confused:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
stitched up like a kipper......

Rooney plays professional football for Everton. Everton is currently in a relegation position. Rooney has also fallen out with his club manager, David Moyes. Moyes is reportedly in for Marc Bircham as cover should Rooney request a transfer. As such, I fail to see why Rooney would be allowed, nor why he'd want to go to the UAE when he's already a proven senior international.

I believe Jinky may have been taking the piss. I'm not sure of this, however, as we only have Jinky's definition of what taking the piss means so it depends entirely on how much trust you have in him.

I trust him with my life.

Having watched a few of the games, Brazil, as ever, have some brilliant individuals. Their match yesterday against the Czech Republic was fascinating as the Czechs play a very direct and team-orientated game. The two styles were dichotomous and there are few pleasures quite as simple as a dichotomous football match as we all know. If the South Americans spent more time trying to ride challenges instead of writhing about on the floor in mock agony they'd have more a chance of winning matches. Canada v. the Czechs should be a cracker though I fear the outcome is only too predictable.

I also watched England against Japan on Sunday night and the English were culpable of some impressive arrogance (difficult to believe, I know) in taking the Japanese side too lightly. As such, they started playing far too late and had to settle for a point.

A point the likes of which is sadly lacking in this post.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not taking the piss, I simply missed the word "ineligible" in Appy's post.

I am certain players can be dropped to the jr level if they meet the age requirement. I remember alot of talk a few years back concerning Owen. Many pundits believed at the time that he should be sent back down to the under-21s as he wasn't cutting it at the senior England level.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cracker.....

If you have a chance have a look at the Ireland v. Ivory Coast match. What a cracker.

The end of the Japan v. Colombia fixture is worth a look too.

Way too much football on the box tonight, Fastshow.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Other Results:

Group A
United Arab Emirates 0-0 Burkina Faso
Slovakia 1-0 Panama

Standings
1 Burkina Faso 7pts
2 Slovakia 6pts
3 United Arab Emirates 4pts
4 Panama 0pts

Group B
Argentina 3-1 Mali
Spain 1-0 Uzbekistan

Standings
1 Argentina 9pts
2 Spain 6pts
3 Mali 3pts
4 Uzbekistan 0pts

Group C
Brazil 2-3 Australia
Canada 1-0 Czech Republic

Standings
1 Australia 7pts
2 Brazil 4pts
3 Canada 3pts
4 Czech Republic 2pts

Group D
Columbia vs. England
Egypt vs. Japan

Standings
1 Columbia 4pts
2 Egypt 4pts
3 Japan 3pts
4 England 0pts

Group E
Saudi Arabia vs. Ivory Coast
Ireland vs. Mexico

Standings
1 Ivory Coast 4pts
2 Ireland 4pts
3 Mexico 1pts
4 Saudi Arabia 1pts

Group F
Paraguay vs. Germany
USA vs. South Korea

Standings
1 South Korea 3pts
2 USA 3pts
3 Germany 3pts
4 Paraguay 3pts

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
excellent......

Watched the Canada Czech Republic match last night and I don't know if I've ever seen a more skillful Canadian side, the senior side included. They were superb in every respect. The Canuck keeper saved a hugely dubious penno and that Iain Hume is one to watch, at the moment I believe he's on the books at Tranmere Rovers.

Having had a man sent off for a second yellow, the Czechs had to withstand wave after wave of Canadian pressure and the only naivety shown by the young Canadian side was in their finishing which was abject, the colourfully-named Sita-Taty Matondo being particularly mince and selfish.

Tactically I did feel Canada got it wrong when, having scored after 80 minutes, they really should have pressed for at least one more goal to improve their goals average (currently -3) and give themselves a better shout of getting into the next round. As it is, their destiny is in the hands (and feet) of today's games in the other groups.

Still, as Mitchell said after the game, 'you can't take the win against a country like the Czech Republic away from them at the World Cup,' though reports remain unclear as to exactly which shadowy underworld entity is sinister enough to actually be in the business of taking wins away from young men's international football sides.

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada Through

Apparently Canada's U-20 squad has made it into the round of 16 and play Burkina-Faso (sp?)... I can't spell it but they went 2-0-1 in their group so I'm sure Canada's in tough... as usual. But congrats for what's been a respectable showing so far for the young Canadian lads.

Burkina Faso is in Europe right?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where the fcuk is Burkina Faso ??

Maybe Fastshow can confirm this but isn't Burkina Faso the bassist in Robbie Williams' band ??

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada in the last 8!!!

Burkina Faso 0 - 1 Canada .

Josh Simpson of The University of Portland scored the lone goal.

Well done lads!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent result

So the question now is which one of the newspapers around here is going to have a story on this?

Turning out to be quite the year for Canada's youth squads!

I wonder if Eddie will have a drink? :D

~Regs.

svensen

Mar 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mr. Fastshow, you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this tournament and Canadian soccer. Where is it being played? Could you please tell me who finished last of the 32 teams??? Thank you in advance.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
svensen,

Here is the link. Sounds like it was a great result. Our Youth teams
always compete well. Too bad about the senior squads.

U-20 Site

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Svensen

Could you please tell me who finished last of the 32 teams??? Thank you in advance.

3 teams tied for DEAD LAST: Uzbekistan, Panama and some team called England!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts