Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA World Youth U-20 Championships

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
coverage........

Mr. Regs,

I didn't get in last night until 19:00 at which point the Canadian match was over so I attempted to find out the result on www.canoe.ca, www.mybc.com and, of course, ttp but was stymied on each (Canadian) site. Eventually I had an epiphany of sorts and found Mr. Ballbaby's link for the result. My problem with the write-up on the Fifa site is the insistence on cracking on about 'North Americans'. Do you know any Canadians who consider themselves 'North American'?

Bollocks to that, it would appear as though Mr. Azzi has some competition.

Mr. Svensen, the World Youth Cup is being played in the United Arab Emirates, Canada won yesterday in Abu Dhabi. They now wait to play the winner of today's Spain v. Paraguay fixture. To make it this far speaks volumes about Dale Mitchell's programme and the young talent coming through the ranks. They were unlucky not to get something out of the Australia match and against Brazil they never looked completely overwhelmed against a technically far superior footballing side.

Burkina Faso is a small country in South London.

Here's the list of the Canadian players representing North America in this year's tournament........

D.O.B. H W POS Club

1. KARIM Alim
20/04/1983 185 84 GK Syracuse Univ.

2. MARSHALL Winston
26/02/1983 178 79 DF Wright State Univ.

3. LEDGERWOOD Nikolas
16/01/1985 172 68 MF Munich 1860

4. HARMSE Kevin
04/07/1984 178 84 DF Tromso

5. DUTRA Waldemar
20/02/1983 175 77 MF Osijek

6. ARANGO Andres
23/04/1983 179 78 DF Montreal Impact

7. DI TULLIO Jason
06/01/1984 175 76 MF Montreal Impact

8. CHIN Gordon
26/03/1983 163 63 MF Vancouver Whitecaps

9. HUME Iain
30/10/1983 170 65 FW Tranmere Rovers

10. BELOTTE Wyn
06/05/1984 185 86 FW Wisla Krakow

11. LEMIRE Chris
03/11/1983 168 64 FW Montreal Impact

12. BRUNO Francesco
31/07/1984 180 70 MF Syracuse Univ.

13. HUTCHINSON Atiba
08/02/1983 183 66 MF Oesters IF

14. EDGAR David
19/05/1987 188 70 DF Newcastle Utd.

15. SIMPSON Josh
15/05/1983 180 77 MF Portland Univ.

16. GODFREY Elliott
22/02/1983 173 70 FW Watford

17. MATONDO Sita-Taty
28/12/1984 175 61 MF Montreal Impact

18. ASANTE Richard
24/07/1984 160 70 DF Syracuse Univ.

19. LINDLEY Tom
24/01/1985 182 82 GK Sheffield Utd.

20. WAGENAAR Josh
26/02/1985 185 90 GK Hartwick College

I personally think it's sick that anyone born in 1985 is better at football than I am.........

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada faces Spain at U-20 tournament
Canadian Press
12/9/2003

AL-AIN, United Arab Emirates (CP-AP)- Canada will face Spain in the quarter-finals of the world under-20 soccer championships Friday after the Spaniards disposed of Paraguay in the round of 16 Tuesday.

Sergio Garcia's goal in the 65th minute off a corner kick by Juanfran decided a game dominated by Spain, 1-0.

The Canadians advanced to the final eight by beating Burkina Faso 1-0 Monday.

Spain finished second to defending champion Argentina in its opening round group with a 2-1-0 record.

The Spaniards eliminated Canada at the 1997 tournament, when a Canadian side advanced out of the first round for the first time at a FIFA world championship.

In other action Tuesday, Brazil needed a golden goal from midfielder Dudu in the 94th minute to scrape through to the quarter-finals with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Slovakia.

The pre-tournament favourite will play Japan in the quarter-finals.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SportsNet to cover game!!!!!!!

Canada battles Spain at World Youth Championship
Rogers SportsNet to Cover Game

Spain took home top spot in this tournament back in 1999.

Sportsnet.ca -- Rogers Sportsnet brings viewers an historic match-up when Canada takes on Spain in the World Youth Championship (Under-20) in The United Arab Emirates live on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario Friday, December 12 at 9:00 a.m. (ET) and tape delayed on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific 8:00 a.m. (MT/PT).

This marks only the second time that Canada has advanced past group play and the first time they have gone as far as the quarter finals at this prestigious event. Ironically, Canada faced Spain in 1997 in their only other foray into the playoff round. Spain prevailed in that encounter by a 2-0 score.

The Canadian men reached the rarified air of the "final eight" with a 1-0 upset victory over African nation Burkina Faso. The only goal of that game came in the 60th minute when central midfielder Josh Simpson struck a perfect left-footer to the top corner from just inside the area.

Spain will be overwhelming favourites going into the match with Canada despite needing a goal in the 66th minute by Sergio Garcia of their round-of-sixteen match to dispatch Paraguay 1-0. Spain took home top spot in this tournament back in 1999.

International veteran soccer commentator John Helm will call the action. Gerry Dobson will host the pre-game set-up, half-time show and post-game wrap-up from the Sportsnet studios. Dobson will be joined by former Canadian National goalie Craig Forrest with his analysis of the game.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is anyone else getting the same herky jerky video feed I am?

I'm going to have an epileptic fit soon.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
******SPOILER ALERT******************

Don't read any further if you are taping the game!!!!!

******SPOILER ALERT******************

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well Canada are in with a shout here.

Spain are down to 10 men and obviously Canada has a huge ammount of support from all those Surreyites they showed celebrating Hume's cracker of a goal.

Hume looks like a young JAGS with a badger's arse on his head.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky Lads!

Canada pushes Spain to limit before bowing out

The Spaniards also eliminated Canada at the 1997 tournament, when a Canadian side advanced out of the first round for the first time at a FIFA world championship.

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (CP) -- Substitute Javier Arizmendi scored a golden goal as Spain needed 95 minutes to subdue a brave Canadian side 2-1 in the quarter-finals of the world under-20 soccer championships Friday.

The goal came from a long free kick from within the Spanish side that Canadian defender Andres Arango failed to clear. Instead, he nodded it down to Arizmendi, an Atletico Madrid player, who beat two wrongfooted defenders and poked the ball past goalkeeper Karim Alim with his left foot.

Many of the Canadian players collapsed onto the ground after the goal, exhausted from battling a Spanish side whose players belong to some of the biggest clubs in the world.

It was the farthest a Canadian side had ever gone in a FIFA men's championship.

The Spaniards were reduced to 10 men in the 65th minute when Victor Vitolo was sent off for a second yellow card.

Iain Hume tied the game for Canada with a thundering strike in the 53rd minute. The striker from Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division has scored three of Canada's four goals at the tournament. And the native of Brampton, Ont., had a shot at another when he rocketed a free kick off the goalpost.

Barcelona's Andres Iniesta had put the Spaniards ahead in the 35th minute after a wonderful pass by the Spanish captain Juan Alberto Melli of Real Betis split the Canadian defence. Iniesta, one of the stars of the Spanish side, poked the ball past an onrushing Karim.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was the Canadian # 18 doing on that goal?

What a fcuking donkey. The 'Lomas will be lining up a bid for him.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Other results:

Columbia 1-0 United Arab Emirates

USA 1-2 Argentina (AET)

Japan 1-5 Brazil

It's such a shame. The boys played well and didn't look out of place all tournament, considering who they were up against. Chinny, Dale and the boys should be very proud of themselves.

I'm actually extremely proud of a Canadian team for once. Me! The biggest Canadian team, CSA basher there is. It was worth getting my two boys up early before school to watch the game on SportsNet East. My oldest is now contemplating playing for for Canada now instead of England when he grows up.

Compared to past men's team, this tournament was the best display of any Canadian team as far as skill and style. They were honestly, in with a shout of getting to the final. It's the first time in a long time that I was excited, nervous and gutted watching a Canadian team lose. Usually I'm just deeply disappointed at how we played sh1t football and deserved to lose or felt we never should have won (Canada vs Mexico Gold Cup 2000?). It's a shame that the press and SportsNet finally get involved in this only to jinx the team. We are actually developing players with some skill. I hope this isn't just a one-off!

CONCACAF did extremely well in this tourny with both the US and Canada just missing out on the semis, losing in extra time. Should interest FIFA in maybe sending more participation spots in the men's World Cup towards CONCACAF's way.

What a goal by Hume!! What a freekick 2 minutes later!! What a miss on the rebound!! If Canada would have scored, it would have been over no matter what Spain threw on towards the end. Canada was skillfull enough to defend it and skilled enough to counter attack with a real threat. I feel real sorry for the lad who just got subbed on before the Spainish back chipped the ball into the box on the goal. He was on for what...3-5 seconds before the ball was in the back of the net?

Dale must be considered for the Men's team head coaching vacancy. He has a real professional attitude and showed his selection and tactical skills in this tourny. It would be nice for him. He's a real good guy.

Jinky,

Asante (#18) blew it but after watching the game a second time, I thought he played real well and that play was totally uncharacteristic. I could see that happening in other Canadian team games but the Canadian backline were excellent for most of the game and actually played out of the back rather than hump the ball up the field when ever they had the chance.

The next thing that the CSA should do if they want to continue the development of these players is push them to play in Europe or the MLS and help them find teams. It will be a real shame if the CSA mistakes this as success and sits back and folds their arms like in past years.

Cheers

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dale must be considered for the Men's team head coaching vacancy.
Jonesy, I just heard they've picked Frank Yallup (sp) it's to be announced in Vancouver next week.

I don't think this will be a one off either. Club's all over are now offering development camps to rep and house player a like. I help with the Surrey camp and am in awe of the skill some of these young kids have, even Ballbaby's kid. I think it's a step in the right direction even if it's the first and a baby one.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVBallbaby licker

even Ballbaby's kid
Nice try, that kid is scared shittles from his old man's verbal and physical abuse!!!;) Actually that's not fair, Ballbaby is a great dad... It's more like he's been scared for life after seeing him without a jersey on after another Greek loss at the Nation's Cup!!!:eek: :p

On Topic; Unrucky Young Canucks, as DJ posted hopefully the CSA won't sit back and allow these talented lads slip through the cracks of what we call in Canada "the system"... :(

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lord help us....

I help with the Surrey camp

You said this was a step in the right direction, right? Perhaps I misunderstood. If Ballbaby's kid has a left foot like his dad, then he is going to be in trouble. ;) What are you teaching the kids, Double In? It is not good for the coach to be in awe of the kids' skill. Usually it is the other way around, especially if the kid isn't even a teen yet. :D ;) :p

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the good news out of all of this is that assistant coach Nick Dasovic will be back in time to suit up for Croatia's end of season promotion run...

And Imperial Cup run.:)

I think?

Maybe Bronco knows for sure? Or maybe I was supposed to keep that to myself and the club president is going to flip out me now? :eek:

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the good news out of all of this is that assistant coach Nick Dasovic will be back in time to suit up for Croatia's end of season promotion run...
Yes, this is the only good news out of all this! I'm glad FIFA could help out. :rolleyes:

Semi Final results:

Brazil 1-0 Argentina

Spain 1-0 Columbia

3rd place game:

Argentina vs. Columbia

Final

Brazil vs. Spain

A coincidence maybe?

The U-17 finals in Finland from September/2003

Semi Final results:

Brazil 2-0 Columbia

Spain 3-2 Argentina

3rd place game:

Argentina 5-4 Columbia (PK's)

Final

Brazil 1-0 Spain

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pride

Final

Brazil vs. Spain

At least our young lads can take pride in the fact that 2 of their 3 losses in the tourney were to the Finalists...

I guess Nick can take pride in the fact he can have a pint in another stinky changeroom with CDK once again??? ;)

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To rap this thread up:

Final

Brazil 1-0 Spain

3rd place game:

Argentina 1-2 Columbia

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens