Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a tournament!! Final was just ok IMHO but a the best team definitely won and deserved it. I completely disagree with messi winning player of the tournament and believe Rodriguez was robbed of that title. Messi was a key player for Argentina but thought he looked second best to di Maria. Rodriguez and Robben were much bigger stand outs. Congrats to Irish rover on the pro predictions win! Finished second again by a point, I. Can totally relate to Argentina today.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a tournament!! Final was just ok IMHO but a the best team definitely won and deserved it. I completely disagree with messi winning player of the tournament and believe Rodriguez was robbed of that title. Messi was a key player for Argentina but thought he looked second best to di Maria. Rodriguez and Robben were much bigger stand outs. Congrats to Irish rover on the pro predictions win! Finished second again by a point, I. Can totally relate to Argentina today.

Considering Messi has done squat since setting up the winning goal in Argentina's rd of 16 match, I would have to agree that James Rodriguez or Robben would be more deserving. Probably a few Germans worth a shout too... Neuer and Müller are the first that come to mind.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Messi, I was totally turned off by his constant looking to the referee after EVERY challenge and the lack of ANY defensive effort whatsoever.

Player of the tournament? No fcuking chance!

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of good articles out there but this one I thought was especially interesting, given the author and his experience etc:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...England-must-learn-from-selfless-Germany.html

Walks what do you think?

A decent written article with Michael Owen pointing at some fundamental concerns in England and it's setup, mentality, etc.

I think the FA has to look at countries that have developed their players from Grassroots level to National Team level in a successful setup that has yielded Championships (U17, U20, Men's Team, etc.) - The Holland, Belgium, Spain & Germany's of the world. It all starts at Grassroots and developing players.

The FA have taken recent strides in many areas but they are nowhere near what other countries are. Look at Germany - after massive failure at Euro 2000 (I think it was ....), they stripped their entire system down and rebuilt it. 14 years later ....... World Champions. Spain did exactly the same thing years before that. Belgium have followed suit recently and even though a very small country, the structure of their youth setup and development plan have produced some outstanding talent.

England have a long way to go to compete at the highest level but from what I've read & understand, they are making a determined effort to improve on the pitch. Who knows when & if that will happen though.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, Belgium is a better side than England right now, and have developed a few quite outstanding players. For a nation of French Fry eaters.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
A decent written article with Michael Owen pointing at some fundamental concerns in England and it's setup, mentality, etc.

I think the FA has to look at countries that have developed their players from Grassroots level to National Team level in a successful setup that has yielded Championships (U17, U20, Men's Team, etc.) - The Holland, Belgium, Spain & Germany's of the world. It all starts at Grassroots and developing players.

The FA have taken recent strides in many areas but they are nowhere near what other countries are. Look at Germany - after massive failure at Euro 2000 (I think it was ....), they stripped their entire system down and rebuilt it. 14 years later ....... World Champions. Spain did exactly the same thing years before that. Belgium have followed suit recently and even though a very small country, the structure of their youth setup and development plan have produced some outstanding talent.

England have a long way to go to compete at the highest level but from what I've read & understand, they are making a determined effort to improve on the pitch. Who knows when & if that will happen though.

I have no idea as to what the answer to making England better is, but the last two winners have a core of players that play within the same club.

Spain-Barca, Germany-Bayern. Maybe the fact that the EPL is such a spread of players playing in different teams could have something to do with it. It's easier to play games with people you like/know a pose to rivals from around the league.

Like I said though, I don't know. It's just my 2cents.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rodriguez was the most important player to his team, won the Golden Boot, and really Colombia is nowhere close to coming out of their group without him.

Robben was immense for the Netherlands, same thing there - RVP was inconsistent throughout the tourney and Sneijder is showing how his fall from being considered a top guy at massive clubs has translated into the National Setup.

How either of these 2 were overlooked for a consolation prize for Messi is beyond me.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have no idea as to what the answer to making England better is, but the last two winners have a core of players that play within the same club.

Spain-Barca, Germany-Bayern. Maybe the fact that the EPL is such a spread of players playing in different teams could have something to do with it. It's easier to play games with people you like/know a pose to rivals from around the league.

Like I said though, I don't know. It's just my 2cents.

I agree completely. You either have talent or not. Sure, national coaching and skills development are important, but really it is only so you are good enough to get picked up by a top-level club. From that point on, your prime development is from playing 80+ games a year with that team. I don't believe revamping England's (or anyone else's) development protocol is going to make a huge difference. Now then, offering citizenship to key up and rising stars would probably go a lot farther than trying to get young muckers to learn how to do keep me ups and a wall pass.

But, I am sure Mr. Base will think differently.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So had a family friend over last night, older german fellow, gave this thoughts on penalty shots, let me know what you think. Personally I think its a decent idea.
Before any game that can be decided by penalty kicks, you have the penalty shoot out, before actual time starts. Then you already have a winner. This should eliminate any teams playing for the tie, as a winner has already been decided. Not bloody bad if you ask me, and who doesn't enjoy watching a shoot out?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh ??!!
So had a family friend over last night, older german fellow, gave this thoughts on penalty shots, let me know what you think. Personally I think its a decent idea.
Before any game that can be decided by penalty kicks, you have the penalty shoot out, before actual time starts. Then you already have a winner. This should eliminate any teams playing for the tie, as a winner has already been decided. Not bloody bad if you ask me, and who doesn't enjoy watching a shoot out?

Was your German friend on the ass end of a week long bender ??

#creative

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Flaw with that as REgs mentioned........take players off every 5 minutes until a goal is scored...if it's 3 v 3 on the whole field it's still better than penalties. :) #angles.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts