Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they card the divers the divers won't dive…they'll be suspended. Robben would only be able to play every second game until he actually figured out that diving is a joke and he is an embarrassment. Until FIFA penalizes diving it will always be there because it works and these guys will do absolutely everything that works to win a game. As much as I want to blame the players; how can you?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they card the divers the divers won't dive…they'll be suspended. Robben would only be able to play every second game until he actually figured out that diving is a joke and he is an embarrassment. Until FIFA penalizes diving it will always be there because it works and these guys will do absolutely everything that works to win a game. As much as I want to blame the players; how can you?

Those players mastered their diving techniques so well that even 5 refs would have a problem noticing it in the split second (when a decision has to be made). But, there is a very, very simple solution to get rid of diving in soccer. Use a video reply AFTER the game and start suspending players for their actions. If Suarez was suspended 9,10 games (and 4 months) based on a video reply then why not punish Robben and other divers?
Yes, you did it, your team got a penalty because you fooled a ref and your team won the game but that is it for you - 10 games suspension and a problem solved! Simple, isn't it?
But, the question is: why FIFA and UEFA do not want to do it? I am quite sure because then they would not be able to influence the game as much as they do now.

dutch08

Sep 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree completely Especially the dives with no contact. Embellishing a foul is one thing. a full dive should be penalized severely after the fact

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL RCD, what does UEFA have to do with it? This world cup has been plagued by more diving by the South Americans than the Euro's imho.

The Robben "Dive" was simply an embellishment of a foul...without the embellishment the foul in the box vs Mexico might not be given. If he doesn't "Dive" no peno is given and the defender gets away with the foul/peno.

I have much more issue with the play acting than the "graceful falling" - Like when Maicon had the boot graze the upper part of his bald head and he falls to the ground clutching his face to try and draw a yellow or red card... There also (at the time) didn't appear to be a lot in the shot Neymar took in the back - and he's got a broken vertebra...So not all dives are embellishments and not all fouls are created equal.

Last edited:

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL RCD, what does UEFA have to do with it? This world cup has been plagued by more diving by the South Americans than the Euro's imho.

The Robben "Dive" was simply an embellishment of a foul...without the embellishment the foul in the box vs Mexico might not be given. If he doesn't "Dive" no peno is given and the defender gets away with the foul/peno.

I have much more issue with the play acting than the "graceful falling" - Like when Maicon had the boot graze the upper part of his bald head and he falls to the ground clutching his face to try and draw a yellow or red card... There also (at the time) didn't appear to be a lot in the shot Neymar took in the back - and he's got a broken vertebra...So not all dives are embellishments and not all fouls are created equal.

I used Robben as an example, not to say that he is the only one. Robben perfected his diving technique so well that it really looks he was shot with the bullet when he is even slightly touched. And, of course, I did not mean only situations when a penalty shot is awarded. All kind of actions should be reviewed after the game. Embellishments should be punished too. Any kind of acting meant to fool a referee should immediately draw a long term suspension. With all this technology at our disposal how hard that would be? So, again. this problem could be easily removed from soccer but FIFA and UEFA do not want to do it. Why? One of the reasons is that they would not be able to influence the game (as already mentioned) and the other reason is that some of the biggest stars dive and embellish all the time. Finally, if video reply was used against Suarez then it must become a standard and used for all other unsportsmanlike situations. Soccer can only benefit from that. Cheaters should be removed from the best sport and that should be the next important step. I aplauded when they used video review to suspend Suarez; now, why stop at that?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
But we should not forget, the foul on Robben was a penalty as he got tripped in the box. So after the fact dive or no dive, that is a direct free kick in the penalty area, which under the current rules means spot kick.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed on going back after games to review the divers.

Sir M - it was indeed a foul in the box. It was also a brutal dive and deserved a yellow. An accumulation of yellows = missed games. Robben on 1 yellow maybe doesn't make that dive for fear of missing the next game.

And RL RCD, I completely disagree that the players 'master' diving from a young age. The dives I have seen are ridiculously blatant (arms being thrown back, hip tilt, dead leg fall). Anyone who is falling does not throw their arms back. If the refs ONLY went off this simple rule they'd get it right EVERY time.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Germany will win 2-1. I suspect the German midfield will be too much for Brazil... especially a Brazil sans Neymar and Thiago Silva. I'm going to predict some dodgy officiating and the Germans will be up 2-0 when a call goes against them late and Brazil slams in a PK or FK late with a big push to tie.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clinical by ze Germans but this game has a chance to be a classic if Brasil gets one back before the half.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts