Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA WC 2018 & 2022 Hosts

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow

Does the religious tolerance include catholics and how they were treated by the English not long ago and still by some bigots today in Northern Ireland. Or for that matter how about the catholics that went on the crusades to the middle east, the Germans and the Jews. What about the Americans and their treatment of Africian Americans, go down south even today. Before we get on our high horses we should look at our own past and maybe learn a little bit more about peoples cultures before we pass judgement from afar. I felt safer in Qatar than I do in Vancouver and I bet you are more likely to get in a fight or mugged, stabbed or shot by someone in England or the US then you would in Qatar.
Of course there is a risk but there are different risks everywhere. Maybe it will be a good time for people to learn a little more before we pass judgement.
I never said our (the "western world") doesn't have a spotty history... but this is 2010. Not the 1600's, or even Northern Ireland in a civil war with "Britain"... This is dark ages law passing judgement... Mercy Killings, the shabby treatment of women, etc etc etc.

I'm not going to get into a politicl argument, this is truly an aside to the real issue... they are giving a world cup participation entrance without qualification to Qatar, a team that has never advanced past the first round of the Asian Cup... and now they might have to play Spain? Or The Netherlands? or Argentina? Brazil?

I'm predicting double digit scores..

At least award the tourney to a host country that would have a hypothetical chance of qualifying on their own merit, Like an Australia, USA, shite, even a Nigeria, or Canada, or Northern Ireland, or Scotland... This is akin to awarding the World Cup to St Kitts and Nevis, or Andorra, or Faroe Islands. FFS.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I never said our (the "western world") doesn't have a spotty history... but this is 2010. Not the 1600's, or even Northern Ireland in a civil war with "Britain"... This is dark ages law passing judgement... Mercy Killings, the shabby treatment of women, etc etc etc.

I'm not going to get into a politicl argument, this is truly an aside to the real issue... they are giving a world cup participation entrance without qualification to Qatar, a team that has never advanced past the first round of the Asian Cup... and now they might have to play Spain? Or The Netherlands? or Argentina? Brazil?

I'm predicting double digit scores..

At least award the tourney to a host country that would have a hypothetical chance of qualifying on their own merit, Like an Australia, USA, shite, even a Nigeria, or Canada, or Northern Ireland, or Scotland... This is akin to awarding the World Cup to St Kitts and Nevis, or Andorra, or Faroe Islands. FFS.

I agree they should not get it because of their position as soccer nation and I also would like to see it go to a country that mabe has a little more to offer on the basis of entertainment or sightseeing value. Where I disagree is to pass on them on the basis of them being a muslim country or the fact it may be difficult drink and in most cases get shite faced and puke everywhere. I also think it is wrong to pass on them because of our fear that every country in the middle east is not safe. And for a country that does not have the infastructure they have the money and the means to build it.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
STD, I take issue with a lot of human rights stuff... and it has to be in the conversation when stating that they are a bad choice to host a WC... There are many countries that are "Muslim Countries" the problem happens where a country is a church-state.

We don't (in a mostly "Christian" society here in Canada) refer to the bible and it's advice in dealing with law-breakers... or even use it to define our society's laws...

There is a distinct difference.

and 1 perhaps 1.5 of my five points of contention had to do with it's being a shari'a state... 1 had to do with the politics. 2- 2.5 out of 5 aint bad right? ;)

So why are FIFA going to Qatar? really examine this...
1. The tourism part of this is going to be almost impossible. You're rowdy "attend every WC and party" crowd will not be going. Most of the westerners will not go out of fear of political etc reasons (rightly or wrongly)
2. The conditions are really not ideal, Building Dome type stadia that can be air conditioned etc is a massive undertaking, I wonder what the environmentalist types will say about this and climate change/global warming etc!?
3. The country is tiny, and really the middle east has all the exposure it really needs via it's own stuff (Saudi Arabia, Dubai, etc) Fifa didn't really NEED to go here as a philanthropic thing, kind of like RSA2010 and Brasil 2014... These guys could build infrastructure etc without the assistance of a World Cup. So you can throw that argument out the window.

IF it really was Oceania/Asia's turn to host you could come up with many better choices to host... UAE (ranked higher than Qatar, also middle eastern) Thailand (ranked with Qatar in the Fifa rankings- that would be a helluva party!) New Zealand, Australia, Israel (all 3 are ranked between 50-100 in FIFA Rankings) list goes on...

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
maybe they end up having world cup in january and halt domestic european leagues.. brutal

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We can agree to disagree on the human rights issue and a debate about that would go on for ever.

If you want to know why they chose Qatar it comes down to Qatar gave the officials the most amount of money and dispite what people on here think Qatar is a very safe place. Can there be problems with terrorism of course but don't think Austraila or anywhere else in that area is safer because I would think the opposite is true.

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
A Lot can change and happen in 12 years also. In terms of play, infrastructure and so on. Just look at how quickly Dubai grew and oil money goes a long way. Anyone a ManCity or Chelski fan.

In terms of the enforcement of Religious Law on Foreigners I'm sure they it will be tweaked for the month for the World Cup, with designated areas and so on, to accommodate peoples who aren't Muslim or not from that area. I'm sure Qatar and FIFA realize this is a World event and that there are people who are not Muslim that will be attending the games and visiting the country.

The huge concern will be the heat, it can get up to 50 celsius there in the Summer.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
They already tweak the rules because there are a lot of westerners working there. It won't be a problem. Lack of scenery will be the problem.

Masry

Dec 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Youtube clip introducing Qatars first 5 stadiums:

Last edited by a moderator:

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it true they will all be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere post wc?

They all have a very temporary look to them, but are all very impressive.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...discuss-2022-winter-world-cup-in-qatar-100413

I love the line . . . "We need to carry out very deep consultations and investigations and show some diplomacy and wisdom.''

The "wisdom" comment makes this post more likely to appear in the 'Things that make you say WTF" forum.

At some point, someone who got screwed on the hoodwink will blow the whistle and all the FIFA-king's men and horses will come tumbling down; the Madoff of footy.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
USA 2022?

I know the CSA wouldn't like that as that would scuttle their 2026 'plan/bid' ... maybe get a couple of games in Canada?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts