Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fcuk the NDP

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, some districts have a Pro-D day scheduled for Monday and it's up in the air if that means schools would be closed that day?

You can't make this shite up, I swear :)

Here's to hoping the length of the deal is 6+, I would HATE to see that stability was a concession made by the Government.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
inter alia is latin for "among other things"... the things you learn in private school ;)

my boss' kids' school told him that even when a deal is reached, they'll need about two weeks to get ready, given that no one, including the cleaning staff, have been inside the schools in months... so could be a while yet.... assuming the vote to ratify passes which, given the militancy in the ranks, isn't a sure thing...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, some districts have a Pro-D day scheduled for Monday and it's up in the air if that means schools would be closed that day?

You can't make this shite up, I swear :)

Here's to hoping the length of the deal is 6+, I would HATE to see that stability was a concession made by the Government.

for Christ sakes Regs the teachers need a day, all that walking around the block carrying those heavy signs. Lets hope they got those massages

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From all accounts, the teachers blinked. All you need to do is read CC's statement, paraphrasing, "The deal is good for both parties...it fits inside the government budget, and can be managed without raising taxes, or taking away from other services...."

I need to learn a lot more about this to really understand the full structure of it, but again, early reports seem to be that although they got a reasonable raise that is in line with other public sector increases, that there wasn't anything of real significance done to address CS, CC, or special needs. A bit, but not a lot. In addition, no legislation yet on CS or CC (appeal is going forward).

So, as I'm reading this, and what I know from MY government insider (this guy travelled w/ Chrissy's entourage to the orient recently and got all the scoop), I'd say the clear winner is the Government.

Me- happy the kids go back, but now scrambling to see if I can get my kid into Southridge for grades 11 & 12. I hear there is a 300 kid waiting list. Also not please about the immediate future in the public school system for my daughters. The landscape hasn't changed, and it is in dire need of reform. As long as the BCTF continues to exist, reform will be impossible.

Fcuk me, should have paid the freight two years ago and gotten him in when I had the chance...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and don't get me started on the fcuking ProD day. How can that not have been negotiated out? Ever effing one for this year should have been cancelled in order to make up for lost time. Christ...

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that's a few of the militants holding their breath and stomping their feet Regs. I can not possibly imagine they would vote no. A no vote means legislated back at 0% no 108Mil bonus/grievance fund, and nothing for CS/CC. The BCTF is the absolute best advert for private schools. Not regretting our choice one bit.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that's a few of the militants holding their breath and stomping their feet Regs. I can not possibly imagine they would vote no. A no vote means legislated back at 0% no 108Mil bonus/grievance fund, and nothing for CS/CC. The BCTF is the absolute best advert for private schools. Not regretting our choice one bit.

No shite, and I am. :D

I can't see them voting no, either. They are using FB to try and sway opinion in their house, but when it comes to a vote, I can't see it.

No doubt about it, the teachers lost this battle...as did the Government, when you get down to it. The only way the Government truly could have won was to break the union, and they haven't quite done that, yet...mostly on account that I think the majority of teachers just want to get back to the classroom, and don't have the stomach or funds for a long fight.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's no winners... except students who get back to school, tax payers who don't suffer an increase and the TF who get ~850 new dues payers per year for the next 6 years, a whopping 12% increase on the existing ~40k teachers in the province.

all of this means fcuk all- the decision will come back from the courts on CS and CC and this will all get thrown into the air again because Christy and Fassbender bent on E80.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My understanding is the clause that was put in instead of E80 essentially does the same as E80.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where are the "love" and "about time" buttons?

Can't wait to hear the bitching and moaning on this...

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why the Fcuk is Jim Eiker still president??? Do teachers not vote or is this the guy they want representing them?

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Outstanding... the first step to a merit based approach to the public sector...
A merit based approach makes sense for the public and private sectors.
Target should have had one. If it rewarded employees based on merit then it would not have paid its Canadian head over $60m.
One of the issues with merit based pay in the public sector is measuring merit.
A cynic would say that Christy Clark believes that loyalty is the most important part of merit. That view finds some support in Christy Clark's recent decision to reject the recommendation to appoint George Abbott as Chief Commissioner of the BC Treaty Commission because he did not support her leadership bid for the BC Liberal party several years ago.
Merit can be difficult to measure.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding the merit bit, in the comments on the link I provided the other day, someone who isn't a fan of CC (obviously) thought that if "she" wanted to invoke professional standards for the teachers, she should spend more time in "the office" ... a comment rebuttal mentioned that CC is up for review every 4/5 years and if her "employers" don't like the job she is doing, she'll be turfed from the position :)

Non-teacher teacher supporters in BC are the gift that keeps on giving :)

Flipper

Jul 26, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks like this legislation only covers professional development days. Prior to this legislation our employer had no say in how/what we learned on these days.
Some teachers put these days to good use. Unfortunately many don't. I think we've lost the right to govern ourselves on these days. I imagine we'll still have input but there needs to be some accountability.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a neighbour who teaches ESL to high school kids. She advises that because that job is so challenging, it upsets her so she only has to work half days and is done by noon each day but gets paid for a full day, she has a note from her psychologist . That is of course is not when she is on the ten week summer break while she is travelling in Europe or on the recent two week spring break. Or her two weeks off at Christmas. They had to take a professional development day two weeks after they were off on strike for several months.

BCTF members are seriously mistreated and over worked. I cannot imagine the crushing stress involved in teaching children their lessons.

Seriously.

Last edited:

Flipper

Jul 26, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a neighbour who teaches ESL to high school kids. She advises that because that job is so challenging, it upsets her so she only has to work half days and is done by noon each day but gets paid for a full day, she has a note from her psychologist . That is of course is not when she is on the ten week summer break while she is travelling in Europe or on the recent two week spring break. Or her two weeks off at Christmas. They had to take a professional development day two weeks after they were off on strike for several months.

BCTF members are seriously mistreated and over worked. I cannot imagine the crushing stress involved in teaching children their lessons.

Seriously.

I'd guess that most schools have at least two or three teachers just like your neighbour. They work part-time and get full-time pay. There is so much money wasted on these teachers it's embarrassing.
The BCTF has very little credibility with many teachers because they (the BCTF) are in full support of teachers who pull this crap. They have no issue with wasting money on teachers who can't work because they are too stressed, meanwhile they constantly complain about underfunding.
Just to answer an earlier question, we don't vote for our union president. The BCTF claims to be a democratic organization but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0